Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KraftWerks Performance Group, LLC. Releases Honda K-Series Race Rotrex-based Supercharger Kit

Norco, CA — KraftWerks Performance Group, LLC., announces the release of their Honda K-Series Race supercharger kit. The K-Series Race kit is designed for the hardcore K-Engine builder, tuner, racer, and K-Swapper. The Race kit is designed to mount on the Honda K-Series engine where the A/C Compressor was previously mounted. With provisions for both C30 and C38 Rotrex superchargers, this kit is capable of over 500HP! The K-Series Race kit fits all K-Series engine blocks and includes 3 supercharger brackets, an oil cooler (for the Rotrex supercharger), a C30 or C38 Rotrex supercharger of your choice, and a Bosch bypass valve. This kit does NOT include any type of piping or fuel management solution. KraftWerks’ K-Series Race kit is competitively priced at $2895.

K-Series Race Kit:

The Rotrex Supercharger:
Traction drives transmit power through friction forces between its rolling elements. Great speeds and low noise are just some of the advantages of traction drives over traditional gear transmissions.

The Rotrex Supercharger uses a patented traction drive system. The drive system is comprised of an annulus, three rollers, and a center shaft to the compressor. The patented "ramp effect" in the traction drive increases efficiency and reliability in the drive by regulating the torque transfer capability on demand through self-adjusting planetary rollers.

The Rotrex uses a unique traction fluid called Rotrex SX100. SX100 works by increasing viscosity under high surface pressure, enhancing the traction drive performance by securing the optimum friction between rolling elements while cooling and protecting the system. The Rotrex supercharger pumps the SX100 fluid and does not tie into the engine oil at all, so there is no need to add an oil pump or tap your oil pan.

-KraftWerks Performance Group

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello k20a.org! We have a lot of great new products coming out right now and we are very excited about our line for the K-Series.

-Oscar Jackson Jr. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
The kit looks real good especially for that price.

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Welcome as well.

I have been doing my research on the ROTREX setups.

Here's a few images

One on the way the oil cooler is hooked up

and the 2 different options you have when you are setting up the charger

From what Oscar already told me, the housing can also rotate in order to optimize the routing of the piping.

Cannot wait to see some results on the bigger K24a setups.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Ill be running this in my EF.

Awesome work guys.

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Depending on the size of the crank pulley and supercharger pulleys, different PSI can be achieved.

Do you guys have a list of what pulleys will create which pressure?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I'm real interested to read some unbiased driving accounts. Because it's centrifugal the pumping efficiency does not work linearly with engine speed. If it's set up for boost at the low end, it's needlessly heating the air at all engine speeds above that. If it's set up for boost at the high end, the low end's not going to benefit from it, causing what would feel like lag.

OTOH, a screw-type positive-displacement supercharger has all its boost right here, right now, at all rpm, right from idle. So I'm skeptical, but willing to listen to owners who aren't associated in any way with the business-side of this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm real interested to read some unbiased driving accounts. Because it's centrifugal the pumping efficiency does not work linearly with engine speed. If it's set up for boost at the low end, it's needlessly heating the air at all engine speeds above that. If it's set up for boost at the high end, the low end's not going to benefit from it, causing what would feel like lag.

OTOH, a screw-type positive-displacement supercharger has all its boost right here, right now, at all rpm, right from idle. So I'm skeptical, but willing to listen to owners who aren't associated in any way with the business-side of this.
Understandable, but the Rotrex is not your typical centrifugal. The Rotrex produces very linear boost.

The Rotrex is a lot smaller than other centrifugals, and can spin a lot higher RPMs. The C15-16 can be spun to over 200,000RPM, while the C30-94 is spun to 100,000RPM. This higher RPM allows for outstanding air production throughout the powerband.

Also, the air temperatures stay extremely low. Our High-Boost S2000 kit can see +3 degrees over ambient at the air temp sensor. This is all while spinning the high RPMs.

-OJR

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depending on the size of the crank pulley and supercharger pulleys, different PSI can be achieved.

Do you guys have a list of what pulleys will create which pressure?
I will post up some of the power options the K-Race has later today. We have possible setups using Type R (129.9mm), Type S(138.8mm), and K24(152mm) crank pulleys.

Stay tuned!

-OJR

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
But physics says that a centrifugal impeller's mass flow is proportional to the shaft rpm squared. The squared turn is the big difference beween the linear airflow delivery of a positive diplacement unit and this one.

A positive displacement supercharger's boost might be set at 7psi. It has 7psi boost at idle, 2000rpm, 4000, or 6000rpm. By its very nature, the centrifugal will not, instead having a fraction of its set boost at low rpm, ramping up with an "x^2" shaped-curve until it hits its boost limit. Yes, it can be geared to spin like hell right off the bat, giving immediate boost, but then it's heating the air or blowing it off

I'd like to hear from drivers about its drivability.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Fair enough. I'd still like to hear from owners who aren't connected with the sales, installation, or tuning of this unit. Too much potential bias otherwise...
Last I check oscar jackson jr is the owner of kraftsWerks

·
IMAKEBOOSTATIDLE
6,916 Posts
Holy shit!!! this is Badass.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts