Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a first time user of Kpro. I own a 2003 Civic Si. I have a PND Ecu (base rsx) that has been upgraded to Kpro. I installed the Kmanager software, and also the USB drivers. Im running the latest version.

Im using the Base RSX ecu because of some drama i experienced with my ep3 ecu

http://hondata.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3128

I tried installing the kproed ecu today, and came into some problems.

1. My idle is EXTREMELY rough.
2. My car's tachometer doesnt respond to RPM changes
3. The engine sounded like it was goign to die.
4. I was able to read that the primary 02 sensor circuit had a malfunction*

This is VERY VERY odd, since my car was previously RUNNING w/no primary 02 sensor problems......

I turned it off, as i didnt want to risk any damage to my engine...

I rechecked my calibration, and all was correct. I had uploaded the Civic Si high octane tune. I only run 93 octane, as i had been running the reflash (on an ep3 ecu) previous to getting kpro on the base rsx ecu.

I can only imagine that the base rsx ecu is somehow incompatible with my ep3 harness....I specifically asked if it would work before upgrading....I mean, i know the ecus are different, but the only difference would be that some pins are unused...

I have a datalog for 15 seconds of one of my attempts...I dont knwo what is goign on :( if anyone knows whats up, pm me and ill send you a copy of the datalog.

This is extremely dissapointing to me, as this is finals week here and I need to leave home next week as my semester is done...:(

·
Registered
71 Posts
The base / type-s & civic si ECUs are all compatable, apart from specific circuity like the reverse lockout and the secondary intake runners, so the base ECU should work on a Si.

All the ECUs are tested before they leave Hondata so chances are it is sometime to do with the calibration not being uploaded correctly. Try these steps.

1. Make sure you have the latest KManager installed (1.2.0.1)
2. From the KManager help menu select 'Update USB drivers'.
3. Restart laptop.
4. With the ignition on use the 'Clear security' function.
5. Switch off ignition, close & restart KManager just to be sure.
6. Try uploading a base calibration first, check the immobilizer is disabled and see how the car runs.
7. If that works then try whichever EP3 calibration you want to run.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rubber Chicken said:
The base / type-s & civic si ECUs are all compatable, apart from specific circuity like the reverse lockout and the secondary intake runners, so the base ECU should work on a Si.

All the ECUs are tested before they leave Hondata so chances are it is sometime to do with the calibration not being uploaded correctly. Try these steps.

1. Make sure you have the latest KManager installed (1.2.0.1)
2. From the KManager help menu select 'Update USB drivers'.
3. Restart laptop.
4. With the ignition on use the 'Clear security' function.
5. Switch off ignition, close & restart KManager just to be sure.
6. Try uploading a base calibration first, check the immobilizer is disabled and see how the car runs.
7. If that works then try whichever EP3 calibration you want to run.

OK....went for round 2 today for Kpro install

different results, but now my problems are bigger :(

So i checked that my version was the latests. Ok good so far. updated my USB drivers, ok cool did that (waited for the bar to go accross then restarted the computer). Did the clear security function.

My car started beeping and flashing lights as soon as i did this. I assumed this was part of the "clear security" function.

I turned off the ignition and closed and restarted Kpro. I uploaded the Civic Si k20a3 factory calibration.

Clutch engaged, turned the key...No response.

Tried again, no response, the motor doesnt even try to turn on.

I try to reupload, but now my Kmanager says that ignition is not on...Im stuck....I cant upload new things...

I dont understand what im doing wrong. Yesterday at least the car turned on. It was ROUGH. tachometer was off, and i wouldnt run on it at all, but now it wont even turn on.

Are the ecu pin outs the same!? I mean, i know ive been told that they are, but im about to go nuts. I didnt expect any trouble installing this....I honestly expected this to go through with out a problem. I can only imagine that somehow the calibrations arent going through. Im honestly afraid that all these "attempts" are causing damage to my car....

Please, if ANYONE has experienced ANYTHING like this, post up and offer some help. I REALLY need the car drivable by the end of next week, as its finals week right now....

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, tried again today

Found out my battery had died...i left tha cabin light on when i took out the ecu and it wasnt charged. ok so i get my friends battery and put it in.

Tried uploading the ep3 calibration. THe k20a3 civic factory calibration.

I got the SAME problems as day one. My tachometer isnt responding to changes. My idle is EXTREMELY ROUGH. I dont understand what could have gone wrong. I havent touched any electrical things since before i sent ou my ecu, and my car was running strong before hand...

IM experiencing the following problems

1. ROUGH idle
2. Tachometer doesnt work
3. What sound like knocks

I uploaded the high octane tune for the k20a3, got the same problems, then the low octane tune, same deal.....

When i rev the car, i get a very very unpleasant engine rev noise. I wish datalogs could datalog sounds, as it almost sounds like if something was in the motor. My car has never acted his way. Ive heard of a couple of people having similar problems, but solving them by using a "non downloaded" calibration. I dont know what to do.

I may be a first time user, but I am not some clueless kid. Im a mechanical engineering student at UF. This is my finals week and this thing is driving me nuts :( . I didnt expect anything like this to happen. I mean, ive followed all the directions the T. I have tried contacting Hondata directly, talked to Matt. Im told that the problem is electrical....this is odd, since my car was working find before hand. I dont know, it just seems so unlikely that my car would have developed and electrical problem while my ecu was out of the car.

I dont know what to do. My home is over 400 miles away. If i cannot get it working correctly by next friday, i am going to have to tow it home :(

PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN.....

Ive attached a datalog of my attempts to get it running....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So today i think i have finally found the problem :(

Today i tried my friends laptop in my car. I was advised to do this by some people. Tried it, got the same results as the first day, ROUGH IDLE, no tach..

So we decide to try putting my kpro unit on his car. I was reccommended to do this by Hondata themselves, as they said the ecu wouldnt harm the car and this would help determine what is wrong. I figured this would at least let me know if the problem was solvable with a stock ecu.

Ok, so we plug in the ecu in his car. Upload the si factory calibration. Turn the key....

SAME PROBLEM

-Rough Idle
-No tach movement
-Disturbing engine sounds
-CEL...primary 02 sensor circuit..

I get worried as i dont want to mess up my buds car. So we do one final try and take a datalog.

This is the kicker. I put back his stock ecu, and lo and behold, everything is fine. No tachometer issue, no rough idle, no CEL....

I would put his ecu in my car, but the whole immobilizer issue is an obstacle....I dont have my stock ecu...story

This was weird, since the Hondata techs ive talked to assured me that the tachometer issue was definately due to an electrical problem in my car. My car was working fine before i send the ecu's to hondata, and i havent touched my electrical system. Since the tachometer issue, and primary 02 circuit problem transferred over to my buddies car, and later corrected themselves with a stock ecu, im pretty certain it can be inferred that the problem lies in the hardware...

Im pretty sure that this proves that my electrical system is not at fault. I dont really know what else to do. Im probably going to check the sensors on my car anyway, but like i said before, they worked before the kpro, and my buddy's sensors worked after we finished testing my kpro on his. I unfortunately finished my testing today after the Hondata techs had left. I guess ill have to see what can be done.

This kinda sucks, im assuming im going to have to send it back....I havent gotten to enjoy ONE drive with the Kpro unit. To top it off, i am at school far from home, and my family is goign to have to rent a u haul car unit to take my car home, as i refuse to drive it on the kpro in its current condition. :(

bump if anyone has experienced anything like this...ive attached both of today's datalogs

first = the datalog on my car
newtons- the datalog of my kpro unit on my buddies car

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
ouch..i feel for you bro :eek:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man, im about to go insane. I called up Hondata and spoke to a tech.

I basically run through the situation with him. Ive talked to him pretty much every day this week and the guy's only response is that i should send it in for testing. I try to get him to offer me some help or something, but all i get is the same monotone response from him. Honestly, I cannot say ive had a pleasant experience talking/dealing with them. I was looking forward to working with Hondata, but is been so unpleasant.

Ive been assured tha the ecu was tested in an engine simulator. It just seems so incredibly odd that my car would run fine with my non kproed ecu and would run horrible with the new kproed unit...

I get this awful feeling of just being brushed aside. I mean, i dont know what else to say to these guys other than the fact that my car was running fine beforehand, and that now it will not run on the Kpro unit. I mean, they basically want me to send it back, but i feel like im just pouring all this money into a product i KNOW was defective. I dont have a stock ecu to run on, and worse than that, Im going to have to tow it 400 miles home.I was told to send it in at my option if I wanted them to look at it....Its just such a bogus response, and when i explain my situation of being far from home and whatnot, all i get is a "Send your ECU in for testing"

This is seriously such a shitty situation. I mean, I understand i need to send it back, but for the love of God, have some customer service sense. I just get such a feeling that they dont care about my situation or my car. If i was from some company and had performed the same tests I performed, I can almost guarantee i would have been treated different. /shrug :(

·
Registered
381 Posts
being a hondata dealer, i can hear your concerns and also have dealt with very similar ones not too long ago from customers. The 05 TSX guniea pig reflash was my customer in hawaii and they encountered problems with his ECU. His concerns were similar to yours with family coming down and other things, and that was his only car. I am not trying to comfort you here or anything ...but i know whats going through your head. Keep in mind however that there really is nothing that can be done. I have been to thier facilities and rest assured that they do indeed test everything before it goes out. When you are making changes to something as complicated as a Honda ECU ... things are bound to happen here and there. Unfortunately this was a bad experience for you. On the same note, from a responsibility perspective.... if this is your only car etc etc... perhaps i would think twice before making such a big modification. Knowing the things that could go wrong, bottom line is > Yes its a shitty situation, i agree. But try not to put such huge expectations on one single person/part. Everyone is human ... business or not... shit happens....and short of flying out to wherever it is you are.. what can really be done??

just take a deep breath and hope the rest goes smooth... :D

ps. can you get a EP?? ecu for cheap from somewhere>> around 200? and then sell it when all this is finished?> then it would run ok right??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.