Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just got a quick question. Im a bit confused.

I have a AUDM K24A3 (USDM K24A2 Equivalent).
I have a K20A2 Engine Harness.
Everything hooks up fine now that ive swapped over the crank plug.
I have a Hybrid-Racing PNP harness and EG6 underdash harness ready to go.
What wiring am i left to source?

Now, i was going to make up my own charge harness as i've been told its not that hard to do.

I'm wondering though, with a K20A/K24A charge harness, are there a few things on there that i would need such as plugs for certain things?
I dont wanna waste my money and time making one to find out ill need something off a stock charge harness anyway...

I was looking in the Helms at the K20A2 setup and it seems the knock sensor plug and a few others are on what they refer to as a "starter subharness". Is this a part of the charge harness or seperate?

Thanks heaps for any guidance. Im confused lol.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,644 Posts
Hey Paul,

I just started asking around in regards to the connector needed for the K20A2 charge harness myself. I have a charge harness from an 06 Civic Si which I could turn into an RSX charge harness with the only difference being the connector that connects to the starter to activate it.

Anyway, was just ripping apart both my 06 Civic Si charge harness and my RSX charge harness... They're surprisingly simple! It's pretty much 3 groups of connectors.

1. The really thick/heavy gauge wiring from battery positive terminal to the alternator, starter and fuse box. I'm replacing this entirely as it's too short to reach the Civic's (or Integra's) stock battery location. The fuse box connectors are the gold angular thingies. The big gold connector inside the black plug runs to the starter which is secured by a bolt I believe. The silver connector in the grey rubber cover goes to the alternator.

2. The starter's connector to engine harness. This is just a mildly thick wire that runs from your engine harness (should also be a thick black/white wire there) to the start's trigger mechanism. I'm using the one from my Si harness as I have an Si starter (different connector than K20A2 starter). No pinout needed for this. Just one wire and connectors on both ends.

3. Knock sensor and alternator connector to engine harness. The alternator connector has 4 wires. The knock sensor has 1 wire. These 5 wires lead back to the connector that attaches to the engine harness.

Charge harness (to engine harness) connector:

Alternator plug:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks heaps for that info. Helps a ton!
So it looks like i need to find this little loom here to connect up my knock sensor and alternator.

I noticed a few wires cut near the ecu plug. Ill get a pic up, wasnt sure what they were for and if they are needed. Maybe its for the plug which the loom above plugs into. If i find out what was cut i will be able to extend the wires and repin a plug if i can find one.

Anyone know if you can buy these plugs from honda?

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,644 Posts
You're welcome. I just happened to take my charge harness apart when I saw your post. :) My knock sensor connector is likely different from yours from what I remember.

I wanted to see what the major differences were between my 06 Si charge harness (damaged anyway) and my K20A2 charge harness. The Si charge harness had a few extras wires to some mystery connector that nobody could identify. But it had everything I needed to make another K20A2 charge harness if I had the two grey connectors to the engine harness.

Part of the reason I did it this way was because I have a different starter than the RSX (and thus a different connector). I think my Si starter might be similar to the one found on the 02-06 CR-V. I wonder if that CR-V charge harness could have been used...

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,644 Posts
You should have gotten that green knock sensor like I mentioned in your build thread. :) Unless in Australia, the K20A/A2 uses the black one. I'm starting to confuse myself. Anyway, hope you got the right knock sensor.

I found this too. It goes with my first picture. http://www.hondata.com/techk20swapgrounds.html

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should have gotten that green knock sensor like I mentioned in your build thread. :) Unless in Australia, the K20A/A2 uses the black one. I'm starting to confuse myself. Anyway, hope you got the right knock sensor.

I found this too. It goes with my first picture. http://www.hondata.com/techk20swapgrounds.html
Ill find out what my knock sensor is off and try find a plug/harness to suit.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i found out my Knock sensor is off a DC5 and that JDM and AUDM are the same. No sure of the year its off.
Heres a pic of my knock sensor. Im looking for a charge harness including the plug for this and my alt, so if someone has one for sale, let me know.

Black plug, single pin knock sensor:

·
Registered
33 Posts
The tsx charge harness is the same not sure about knock sensor the chargeharness and engine harness on the tsx are both female so the six pin conectors need soldered togeter

·
Registered
34 Posts
The tsx charge harness is the same not sure about knock sensor the chargeharness and engine harness on the tsx are both female so the six pin conectors need soldered togeter
do you know of n e posts on how to do this or where i can get wiring diagrams to figure out what wires to solder togeather. IM usings a k20a engine harness with a tsx charge harness. i will be making my own power cables from the alt and starter to a battery relocated in the fender so i rather not buy a new harness since i have all the connectors already.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,644 Posts
The electrical manual for both the TSX and RSX would be your best bet as it shows you the pin the wires are connected to but the service manuals work too except they only show the color of the wires and not the pinouts. You should be able to derive something out of that still.

In my 02-03 RSX SERVICE manual,, it's on page 4-26. For the 02-05 RSX ELECTRICAL manual, it's on page 22-0.

·
Registered
665 Posts
some extra helpful info I have. the connectors from the engine harness reach the alternator, knock, and starter if the engine harness is ran nicely tucked. all you would have to do is depin the plugs, connect the alternator plugs, knock, and starter straight to the engine harness and run 2 thick gage wires from the starter and alternator to power/fuse box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts