Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am not 100% sure on this..but here's my take.

For it to be a kit car,it would need to be registered as a kit car or something along those lines...to be smog exempt.

If it still needs to be put on the smog machine,you would need all of the original smog equipment from the car that the engine originally came out of.

Where I live,every car made before 1980 is basically emissions exempt..or something like that.Anything else,including kit cars,need some sort of emissions equipment,and still need to come up clean on the emissions dyno.

I'm sure if you just show up with a civic and claim it to be a kit car,the smog guys will call your bluff and run the vin (if it has one)..

The jap cars dont have vins and are rhd..so it is feasable for those to be considered a kit car.

Hope that helped you some.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get the vin# thing but I have seen pontacs fiero,s that were made into lambo,s and they pretty much just bodykited the out side of it (ie dash would still have vin#)so wouldn,t that be samething more or less? cali dmv and smog suck!! :mad:

·
Registered
71 Posts
It depends what state you are in. Generally a kit car a defined as using an engine, body and frame from different origins. Yes, the use of the word 'frame' tells you all you need to know...

Again this varies by state to state, but usually you are required to run the emissions gear from the donor engine. Sometimes the same rules as engine swaps apply (engine must be newer than chassis). Don't know how they would cope with a JDM engine, but in CA at least you would struggle to get a JDM engine past a referee. (In CA both the vehicle and engine must be approved for sale in CA).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I,m running a type-s in my 93hatch so both are sold in cali.I can run some of the emission stuff from rsx in car but hoped by say it,s a kit car could get by with fuel rail and fpr that are not liked here?o2 sensor I got covered a Iam running a tsx header and not a racing one.this is just one idea on how to beat smog.still hoping this will work but need more info but thank for everones input its real helpful keep it coming!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.