Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here you'll find consolidated links to all of dyno testing I've personally have setup for the K-series world being the nice guy that I am :)

Anything I dyno test will be added and/or linked to this first post from now on, newest to oldest.

A lil Katman personal K history...
I've been EG K-pow'd since late '04, and prior, was B-series since '99.

My K engine consist of the following:

'01 JDM EP3 K20R swap w/internally stock components
BluePrint Racing oil pump mod guinea pig (as of aug 2011)
RRC intake manifold
- stock but match ported to a 70mm skunk2 t/b
Skunk2 70mm t/b
KPRO
RDX injectors
Rcrew header
3" mandrel bent exhaust w/5zigen border 304 muffler
3" diamter intake pipe w/AEM air filter (has integrated meh velocity stack)

I'm a budget road racer.
I drive my car to the track (usually 2hrs away), race, hope nothing breaks, and drive home. So I'm sure I have some wear n' tear and probably lost compression. Haven't gotten around to confirming this cuz this thang still runs like a champ!

I'm not one of those 'power hungry' guys.
I'm pretty content with my OEMish K20A-R and the tuned power it makes, albeit, with all of the best OEM parts....just can't beat OEM reliability! Tho, I've been having evil thoughts of stepping out of the OEM realm... cam-wise. I like using OEM parts as far as possible before going aftermarket. I also like testing certain hyped up parts as some of you know. Some think I'm biased with the results I've ended up with. Take it however you will. I just stick with the parts that make me decent or significant power gains on my engine and stand by those parts.

My dyno testing is performed 98% of the time @ Erick's Racing Engines (ERE) in Baldwin Park CA. He's a hop/skip/jump away from my house. I like how his dynopack is set to show real wheel horsepower vs. bloated crank power. I've been dynoing with him since 2000 - back when he use to be over in Torrance w/Oshimo at ZERO Factory. He especially was of great help back in late '09 for my K-series manifold shootout we did as a collaboration with Super Street magazine, and also for my latest personal tests (TSX cams & drag cartel DIC's) :up::up::up:

bleh..enough about me.

Here's the dyno tests I've performed:

August 5 2013: Retune @ Church Automotive w/CAI pipe testing (click for details).
As of July 2013, I am now on a K20Z1 block as I spun a rod bearing in my K20R block back in Nov.12; all other engine components remain the same.

March 2012: Kelford 179a Cam Testing (click for details)
Only cams have been swapped out (stock R v.springs & retainers intact), nothing else has been changed unless mentioned.
Pending dyno tuning for 3/22/12.

August 2011: Drag Cartel Drop-In-Cam Dyno Results (click for details)
Base-lined on a tuned map - 218.8hp/145.3tq - w/TSX intake cam & ITR exh.
Once tuned produced 234whp/150wtq on my K20R on a schitty hot & humid 97 degree day.
*update 2/17/12*
Re-dyno'd (only baseline runs) during cooler 70-72 degree weather producing 240.7whp/156.8wtq! (w/vstack & no filter). Also tested different intake pipe setups. DETAILS HERE.

April 2011: '06 TSX Cam Dyno Results

2009 K-series Intake Manifold Shootout Results
A 3 part dyno test that spanned a few months.
- The projected plan (sept. 09)
- session 1 results (sept.09): stock PRC vs. Endyne ported RBB (tsx manifold)
- session 1 photos
- session 2 results (oct.09): RBC vs. Skunk2
- session 3 results (nov.09): RAA (accord) vs. Blueprint ported RBC vs. RRC
- overall results w/graphs after Super Street issue was published (dec.09)
- some after result drama with Grump RSX (jan.10)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Good stuff here katman,have a question for you,what mods would you recommend for my mostly stock a2 setup ( rbc,kpro,3"exhaust ) daily driver and occasional track car? Want to keep it simple and reliable w modest gains over stock..thanx in advance.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
So, a gain of 15hp and 5 lb./ft. of torque on those Drag Cartel cams and the cost of these cams is approx $900, or $60/1 horsepower.

Thanks you for posting these results, Katman. Your threads are always so informative.

No opinion on your decision but may I ask: Based on your results, do you feel like you got $900 worth of gain out of this new setup?

Thank you again for taking time to post. Many of the people in the K-community take a position without actually spending the time or money to show any results and you actually contribute.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great Results and great write up! I noticed that u ran the skunk2 manifold with a 64mm tb.
Im wondering y u didnt try using a 70mm tb. The only reason im asking is because im debating between the skunk2 and the rrc. Do you think there would have been more power from the skunk with a 70mm.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
So, a gain of 15hp and 5 lb./ft. of torque on those Drag Cartel cams and the cost of these cams is approx $900, or $60/1 horsepower.

Thanks you for posting these results, Katman. Your threads are always so informative.

No opinion on your decision but may I ask: Based on your results, do you feel like you got $900 worth of gain out of this new setup?

Thank you again for taking time to post. Many of the people in the K-community take a position without actually spending the time or money to show any results and you actually contribute.
HP costs money. Once you exhaust all the "free" and cheap HP options, at some point you have to spend big money. I'm not going to get into the $500 cam vs. the $1k cam.... or the $250 header vs. the $1k header.

Everyone needs to determine their own goals before they make their decision. I'm just happy Katman puts out this type of information!

·
Registered
44,673 Posts
HP costs money regardless. If a customer wants some cheap shit, then they will get it. We sell Megan and other bullshit at the shop. We don't use it on our cars, but if the customer wants it, they can have it. It is a business.

Only in testing will you see what parts are worthy and what parts are not. Katman has tested a lot of things, back to back on the same motor, to assist those that are not familiar with the K-series. That is a great contribution to the K-series community at larger.

Anyone can continue his testing by posting SAE graphs of motors similar to his her on this thread. It can morph into a 'building block' idea for the K-series and their power production prowess.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
...I'm not going to get into the $500 cam vs. the $1k cam.... or the $250 header vs. the $1k header.
HP costs money regardless. If a customer wants some cheap shit, then they will get it....
You both are misunderstanding my post. I have a $1,400 header in my car and $200 cams. I don't feel like I got $1,400 worth of value out of my header but I feel like I got way more than $200 worth of value out of my cams.

I am not accusing anyone of wasting money nor saying that I am advocating a cheaper route. I just asked if he felt the horsepower-per-dollar gain was worth it to him. Since we each have our own wallets and each of our cars is our own, that seems like a reasonable question to ask.

Bravo again to Katman.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
everything meshes together. it really all depends on your goal. you have a ball'n header and some regular cams. what motivates you? what is the goal with your car? I can tell you that i need to make no more than 180hp, but all the TQ i can! i look at things differently!

Katman is a road course guy... curves generally beat peak hp... do you want peak? do you want TQ? look at the graph and see what it does... if it does what you want than its worth it to you lol.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Great Results and great write up! I noticed that u ran the skunk2 manifold with a 64mm tb.
Im wondering y u didnt try using a 70mm tb. The only reason im asking is because im debating between the skunk2 and the rrc. Do you think there would have been more power from the skunk with a 70mm.
he is using a skunk 70mm

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Katman:

I noticed the comparison was against the TSX/Type R combo and just wondered if you ever had it K-Pro Tuned with both Type R camshafts??

I know you got the better results with the mix combo against both TSX camshafts but I am curious about the stock camshaft results.

I got a K20R swap right now but K-Pro wont be until next year.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off thanks for the props :up:

Good stuff here katman,have a question for you,what mods would you recommend for my mostly stock a2 setup ( rbc,kpro,3"exhaust ) daily driver and occasional track car? Want to keep it simple and reliable w modest gains over stock..thanx in advance.
I would suggest a similar setup as my own engine:
RRC, 70mm tb of your choice tho I highly suggest Skunk2 t/b because they don't stick in endurance run conditions, RDX injectors, 06-08 TSX cams unless you already have "R" cams tho your A2 cams may have potential (I haven't tried/tested A2's personally..or even Z3 cams may be a good upgrade), a decent intake system w/a taper design, a 3" exhaust (which you already have), AND TUNING!! tranny wise most definitely want a 4.7 final drive and LSD either OEM or wavetrac LSD (wavetrac is night n day difference over the OEM LSD tho).

Meh, kinda hard to say atm being the weather conditions were not friendly. I'll give you my opinion once I do some baseline pulls when conditions get cooler. I'm betting the DIC's perform better in a K24 vs. k20. I do agree that the costs of these cams, hell most aftermarket K cams, are up there though. Thing is, I try n stay on the fence when it comes to aftermarket cams, there's some much back n forth bullshit I just say fcuk it...I'll stick with OEM cams! haha... but I'm knit picking at the ones I'm curious about (which are mildish stage 1 like cams) and what I can get my hands on for testing in regards to my resources. I'm interested in testing Kelford 179a's next :silly:

Go 70mm period.
K's love bigger-than-stock tb's from the tests I've done. There's no power to be lost going 70mm, depending on your air intake setup. Most of the bigger tb's show gains in higher rpms to redline anyways and really shine if you have a ram air setup w/velocity stack.

Katman:

I noticed the comparison was against the TSX/Type R combo and just wondered if you ever had it K-Pro Tuned with both Type R camshafts??

I know you got the better results with the mix combo against both TSX camshafts but I am curious about the stock camshaft results.

I got a K20R swap right now but K-Pro wont be until next year.
yep I sure did, I made 228/152.6 w/both ITR cams back in '09.
I DIDNT get better results with the mixed TSX/ITR cams either! Running both TSX cams yielded the better results, a tad more power but nothing significant over R cams imo.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
very good testing once again katman:up:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
yep I sure did, I made 228/152.6 w/both ITR cams back in '09.
I DIDNT get better results with the mixed TSX/ITR cams either! Running both TSX cams yielded the better results, a tad more power but nothing significant over R cams imo.
That's pretty good results. I am dizzy from all the threads and could have sworn I read (in another thread) you got better results with the combo camshafts.

You didn't state but is that with injectors and 70mm TB? Your testimony makes me think I should go 70mm when I get K-Pro. In an ideal world......it'd be camshafts, injectors and TB with the K-pro. I say this b/c (as you know) tuning can be pricey and I would just find myself right back on the dyno

·
The Professional
1,871 Posts
thank you for this dyno. i've been waiting for so long to see a solid dyno sheet on these cams.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You didn't state but is that with injectors and 70mm TB? Your testimony makes me think I should go 70mm when I get K-Pro. In an ideal world......it'd be camshafts, injectors and TB with the K-pro. I say this b/c (as you know) tuning can be pricey and I would just find myself right back on the dyno
I have RDX injectors and a skunk2 70mm t/b.

In regards to a bigger t/b upgrade (ported stock t/b or billet say up to 74mm), from what I've tested, tuning isn't as important for it as it would be for cams, intake manifold and injectors. Its mostly a bolt-on n go type part; power gains are realized right away without having to tune for it (as long as your manifold is match ported). I put the larger t/b upgrade to the test back when I did my manifold shoot out in late '09 and they made did make gains w/out tuning. Once you get the rest of your parts installed so you can tune everything at once will be more cost effective anyways.

·
K24 USDM EG
26,855 Posts
good info.. i didnt think the 70mm tb on stock internal motor made that much of differance.

i have similar setup

k20z3 long block
k20z1 cams
RDX injectors
RRC intake
K20a tb
3" intake with velocity stack
RCREW header

so your saying that going with a 70mm tb i would see benefits? i didnt think you would unless you had the intake port matched and bigger cams.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
good info.. i didnt think the 70mm tb on stock internal motor made that much of differance.

i have similar setup

k20z3 long block
k20z1 cams
RDX injectors
RRC intake
K20a tb
3" intake with velocity stack
RCREW header

So your saying that going with a 70mm tb i would see benefits? i didnt think you would unless you had the intake port matched and bigger cams.
Yes.
I showed a minimum of a 4hp increase when I ran my stock PRC intake manifold going from 64mm to a 70mm t/b. PRC was match ported to 70mm too w/my ITR cams.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts