Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Have a 2009 honda crv with a 2.4 i believe its a k24z1. It lost compression on cylinder 1. its not burning oil the old lady has been driving it like this the last 5000km while i was away working. its not burning oil which tells me i think it burnt out an exhaust valve and not a piston issue?

what other heads bolt on this engine? and what other engines would drop into this crv?

is my assumption correct for the lost compression or any thoughts on what the issue could be?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,545 Posts
Welcome to K20a.org adam8781.
Do you have a leakdown tester? I is a much better leak source finder then the compression tester.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to K20a.org adam8781.
Do you have a leakdown tester? I is a much better leak source finder then the compression tester.
thanks man, im a big gearhead just not familiar with these engines

I lent it out a while ago haven't seen it in a year. honda did the diagnostics while i was away. there was zero compression cylinder 1, im going to throw a inspection camera in the plug hole this next few days to see the piston make sure its not a cracked piston and the cylinder walls look ok before go further. next was pull the exhaust manifold and toss camera up cylinder 1 to peek at exhaust valves. and pull valve cover see if there are any obvious signs of valve damage.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,545 Posts
I lent it out a while ago haven't seen it in a year. honda did the diagnostics while i was away. there was zero compression cylinder 1, im going to throw a inspection camera in the plug hole this next few days to see the piston make sure its not a cracked piston and the cylinder walls look ok before go further. next was pull the exhaust manifold and toss camera up cylinder 1 to peek at exhaust valves. and pull valve cover see if there are any obvious signs of valve damage.
Very good approach. The leak down tester just would give you the information more easily where the leak is located.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,545 Posts
what is the procedure for TDC compression stroke on cylinder 1?
That's a simple approach. You put a around 300 mm stick/screw driver/metal thing over the spark plug access point into the chamber, place it solid rectangular on the piston. Turn the engine manually too times, you can feel and hear it when power stroke TDC is coming. The sweat spot of TDC is reached one the screw driver/stick/... was highest. Turn it back and forth, you will find it. Fix now the crank, otherwise the leakdown tester will turn the crankshaft.

Of course there are smart tools to find TDC in a smart way: pressure ball glasses which indicates TDC at power stroke very clearly, and other tools. Just want to show the principle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts