Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a noob when it comes to k series motors. I'll be picking up a K24A8 on Saturday to rebuild. From what I understand, the A8 only has vtec on the intake cam and the A2 has vtec on the intake and exhaust cam. Could you use an A2 exhaust cam and rocker arms on the A8 with new valves and springs? And I assume you would need to switch out the vtec solenoid also?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to keep the motor as stock as possible. I don't plan to boost the engine but I would like dual cam vtec while keeping the cost as low as possible. What heads would I need to look into?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know, but for the effort and cost involved, I'd pick up a good head with dual cam VTEC and enjoy the wide range of options for cams, springs etc.
This is an very interesting question. Like what I discussed in the other thread, I am curious on:

1 All people know vtec head has good top end and wide rpm range
2 All people scratch their stock K20A3 and K24A4/8 because it has only economical intake 2 lobes cam.

Would you have any investigation on this question:
Primary lobe on k24a8 is 34.2mm which is larger than 33.4mm low lobe of 04 tsx, will it has better mid range torque than TSX if I am only a daily driver and never go exceed 5000RPM. That is a why I had another thread to talk on put 11:0 pistion into this block to make mid range more stronger for real daily, not that kind of race car's sluggish daily.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,073 Posts
...Primary lobe on k24a8 is 34.2mm which is larger than 33.4mm low lobe of 04 tsx, will it has better mid range torque than TSX if I am only a daily driver and never go exceed 5000RPM....
To score it much more info is necessary bian.yy: duration of valve lift profile, head port design, intake manifold, intake design, exhaust header and CAT-back design and of course fuel quality as it is a knock likely area.

In general a bigger lobe height reduce the intake velocity and does not necessarily reduce VE at the same time. More lift helps at higher engine speeds to adapt the flow resistance. Just remember katman's dyno adventures with ITR and TSX cams...

Markus

·
Registered
55 Posts
To score it much more info is necessary bian.yy: duration of valve lift profile, head port design, intake manifold, intake design, exhaust header and CAT-back design and of course fuel quality as it is a knock likely area.

In general a bigger lobe height reduce the intake velocity and does not necessarily reduce VE at the same time. More lift helps at higher engine speeds to adapt the flow resistance. Just remember katman's dyno adventures with ITR and TSX cams...

Markus
Hi Markus
I would say happy new year and aspire to see you back to us.
I fully understand your comments on engine profile is impacted by all parts front to end,I understand after having enough air flow mass then volecity is the key point for performance and efficiency.to a technical fan with very poor instruments on hand I am trying the best to have more tools to help my fun.
I talk on this cam as I assume this is more better for my purpose from common sense as this engine is designed for daily,low-mid range torque, the first step is to put a tsx 09 piston which I measured center of dome surface is 4mm higher than k24a8 stock piston dish surface, I need your help from designer perspective to evaluate the pros cons on combustion chamber and others, after I put them together then we know real result.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.