Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got an 04 accord with the k24a4 5spd, i've got intake and pulleys, doing DC headers and 2.25" exhaust piping back to an 18" resonator and then to two Magnaflow race series mufflers in the next 2 weeks.

my question is: would a RT high flow cat be a worth while upgrade? if someone who has used RT cats first hand could chime in that would be awesome!

RT = Random Technologies

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I had used Random Tech, but no longer, the only cat that I will use now is the Car-Sound Platinum spun cat.

The Random's are way over priced and still old school ceramic matrix. The platinum cats are a ultra thin, corrugated appearing, platinum sheet. When you look thru the ceramic matrix cat's you can just make out light and dark shapes, but you can read the headlines on the daily newspaper when looking thru the platinum cats. Far more high flow.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
With today's technology there is really no reason to go to a "high flow cat". The cats on there now are high flow enough where the gains will not be worth the expense.

I'm trying to find the article, but it was on a 06 si, where they actually lost power without cats.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
With today's technology there is really no reason to go to a "high flow cat". The cats on there now are high flow enough where the gains will not be worth the expense.

I'm trying to find the article, but it was on a 06 si, where they actually lost power without cats.
Maybe on the stock ecu, stock motor etc but on a decent setup I find it hard to believe that adding a cat ie adding a restriction to a motor that makes more power open header will yield more power..

·
Registered
14,750 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
in that article they added a high flow cat and gained power, which is what i was trying to find!! thanks!!

i'll hopefully be getting K-Pro on my accord after i do my exhaust system, then hopefully further down the road i'll do an engine swap to a K24A1/K20A2 head.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I added the platinum cat and made significantly more power than with a ceramic cat everywheres in the rpm range, and more torque down low and WHP up top compared to not having a cat installed.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Here is a dyno of before and after the cat, I also removed the DCsports single can muffler and added a Hytech loop at the same time for this dyno.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow those are some impressive gains. almost 20 hp at the top (8k ish) with a muffler and a high flow cat. thats some good influence right there. also looks much smoother than before. good results!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Looks like a Evans graph...great gains tho!

Yep Jeff did the dyno tuning on both setup's and I did all the street tuning afterwards. It was tuned to 9k(still making power), but I had Jeff drop the revlimit to 8200K for the final run that is on that graph. At least the Quaife gets the front tires to become bald at a uniform rate LOL,LOL, one summer is all I get out of a set of tires and I dont drag race....

I can not complain about the powerband at all, especially seeing that I can pass any State inspection here in NY, sniffer, OBDII, and dyno test they have done useing no tricks at all. Not having to worry about that is wonderfull !!!! And I love pulling on any NA S2k.......

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
thats gotta be so sick pulling on S2K's. i'd love to see their faces lol.

Usually I let them get the jump and when those K2's come up on the big lobe they snap their heads around and have this big wide eyed disbelief look as I walk them easily,,,,,,,LOL it is a great thing!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahaha if i do a build for my accord people would think i've got the V6, which would work for me lol. i just want to be able to pull on some V6 accords!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts