Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Just figured I would post up some numbers from another K24a4 setup that's working well currently. Been tuned for a couple of weeks now and she's running like a champ. The torque numbers are great and it feels like it pulls non stop. We've tuned a little on the rich side since our weather is forever changing as well.

Right now the setup is this:

K24a4 Bone Stock, 110% on the block.
RBC Manifold
Full Race Sidewinder Manifold
Garret T4 GT35-R ball bearing water/oil cooled
Tial 44mm Wastegate
Tial 50mm BOV
3" exhaust
255 Walbro in tank
RC 750's
k20z3 Oil Pan

So far it's tuned on 15PSI through K-Pro and it's holding up well.
Just figured I'd post another success story with the k24a4 setup!

Next (as budget allows) I'll be buying piston/rods and a k20 head to swap on it or try to salvage my k20z3 head from my previous engine (highly unlikely).

Anyways opinions or anything let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Hey Guys, Just figured I would post up some numbers from another K24a4 setup that's working well currently. Been tuned for a couple of weeks now and she's running like a champ. The torque numbers are great and it feels like it pulls non stop. We've tuned a little on the rich side since our weather is forever changing as well.

Right now the setup is this:

K24a4 Bone Stock, 110% on the block.
RBC Manifold
Full Race Sidewinder Manifold
Garret T4 GT35-R ball bearing water/oil cooled
Tial 44mm Wastegate
Tial 50mm BOV
3" exhaust
255 Walbro in tank
RC 750's
k20z3 Oil Pan

So far it's tuned on 15PSI through K-Pro and it's holding up well.
Just figured I'd post another success story with the k24a4 setup!

Next (as budget allows) I'll be buying piston/rods and a k20 head to swap on it or try to salvage my k20z3 head from my previous engine (highly unlikely).

Anyways opinions or anything let me know what you guys think!
15 psi on a gt35r and only 353whp on a jet????????? What ignition values are you at in 40 deg/50 deg in the boost columns?

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
Stock oil pump? What are you revving to? Stock valve train as well? Pretty decent for what it is and a conservative tune.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
15 psi on a gt35r and only 353whp on a jet????????? What ignition values are you at in 40 deg/50 deg in the boost columns?
My tune is at home on my laptop and I'm currently at work so I'm not 110% sure on the answer to that honestly. I'll have to either wait till I get home or see if the shop has a copy of my setup/tune that he can email me so I can upload it for you to view.

What would you assume I'd be at? I was figuring more around 375-400 is what we would've pulled but the numbers just weren't there it seemed like and I didn't want to keep turning up the boost.

Stock oil pump? What are you revving to? Stock valve train as well? Pretty decent for what it is and a conservative tune.
Stock oil pump and 7k redline, I didn't have the funds or the parts at the time to modify and install my old z3's oil pump on my car. If it would've been a direct bolt up I could've done it (I think) but I wasn't sure on a few things concerning it and to be honest it kind of worried me to try this without having someone knowledgeable on this upgrade around to make sure I was going in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
My tune is at home on my laptop and I'm currently at work so I'm not 110% sure on the answer to that honestly. I'll have to either wait till I get home or see if the shop has a copy of my setup/tune that he can email me so I can upload it for you to view.

What would you assume I'd be at? I was figuring more around 375-400 is what we would've pulled but the numbers just weren't there it seemed like and I didn't want to keep turning up the boost.

Stock oil pump and 7k redline, I didn't have the funds or the parts at the time to modify and install my old z3's oil pump on my car. If it would've been a direct bolt up I could've done it (I think) but I wasn't sure on a few things concerning it and to be honest it kind of worried me to try this without having someone knowledgeable on this upgrade around to make sure I was going in the right direction.
I figured it would be more like 400-450whp area on a jet. But then again you could have a low reading dyno-jet.. You could download the virtual dyno program and run some datalogs in 3rd gear and see what nums you get out of it..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nevermind, i see your only revving to 6500 rpms on the sheets, thats actually pretty good..
Yea, I didn't have any intentions on bringing the stock redline up from where it's at until I do Pistons/Rods and the head swap (and arp's) so I figured no sense in going past that redline. The car pulls like a beast all the way to it so believe me right now I have zero complaints on the cars performance. I know the previous k20z3 turbo setup I originally had had around 60 more HP but about 30-35 less TQ. But the car to me feels like it's a much smoother acceleration compared to my previous setup so until I can get the funds up to do the other things I'd like to I'll ride this setup till then.

Anyone that has anything they can think of I should do budget tuning or setup wise I'd love to hear it tho, I'm always all ears!

·
Registered
980 Posts
add more boost raise redline to 7500 and run some meth injection or race fuel and get retuned that motor will handle 500whp

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
add more boost raise redline to 7500 and run some meth injection or race fuel and get retuned that motor will handle 500whp
I don't feel comfortable revving to 7500 on the stock oil pump setup. Also on my daily driver I have no reason to run meth or race fuel, I'm looking to try and see what other people with my same type of setup are capable of. Not with e85 or race fuel, just straight pump 93 and near the same boost levels. I'll shoot for more like you recommend later when I got the cash to rebuild her. But until then I would rather not.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I don't feel comfortable revving to 7500 on the stock oil pump setup. Also on my daily driver I have no reason to run meth or race fuel, I'm looking to try and see what other people with my same type of setup are capable of. Not with e85 or race fuel, just straight pump 93 and near the same boost levels. I'll shoot for more like you recommend later when I got the cash to rebuild her. But until then I would rather not.
To each there own. I have had my daily driven k24a8 at 500whp plus for 3 years rev limiter set at 8050rpm. I hit that limiter easily once a day lol 100% stock motor stock oil pump and everything all that it has is a rbc and vtec killer setup its all in the tune. I use methanol injection now but the first year and a half i used straight 93 octane without the vtec killers. Still made 503 at 20 psi with a 62mm turbo and now i use a 74mm turbo and make 500whp plus at just 10psi LOL. Even had a dyno session with over 700whp during 9 pulls and the motor is still fine. These motors cost me 400 shipped to my house i have two with less than 40k as backups just in case. I thoroughly tested this setup and it is reliable and still gets 21mpg i love k series. I have read all the piston speed and cavitation info there is on the k24 and recommended redlines. There is no way to find out unless u try it yourself. I also have a friend in my town with a k24a4 in a eg. Two stages of nitrous 1st stage he hits in first and second 50 shot then 200 in third fourth and fifth methanol is injected while spraying. All stock motor daily driven 3rd year with the setup he shifts at 8000 also stock oil pump. We are out roll racing every weekend that its nice so cars see alot of abuse.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To each there own. I have had my daily driven k24a8 at 500whp plus for 3 years rev limiter set at 8050rpm. I hit that limiter easily once a day lol 100% stock motor stock oil pump and everything all that it has is a rbc and vtec killer setup its all in the tune. I use methanol injection now but the first year and a half i used straight 93 octane without the vtec killers. Still made 503 at 20 psi with a 62mm turbo and now i use a 74mm turbo and make 500whp plus at just 10psi LOL. Even had a dyno session with over 700whp during 9 pulls and the motor is still fine. These motors cost me 400 shipped to my house i have two with less than 40k as backups just in case. I thoroughly tested this setup and it is reliable and still gets 21mpg i love k series. I have read all the piston speed and cavitation info there is on the k24 and recommended redlines. There is no way to find out unless u try it yourself. I also have a friend in my town with a k24a4 in a eg. Two stages of nitrous 1st stage he hits in first and second 50 shot then 200 in third fourth and fifth methanol is injected while spraying. All stock motor daily driven 3rd year with the setup he shifts at 8000 also stock oil pump. We are out roll racing every weekend that its nice so cars see alot of abuse.
Okay, I got a few questions for you Flip if you don't mind.

Do you have any maps or tunes of people running the numbers you're saying on pump gas only (93)?

Why does everyone always say make sure you swap oil pumps when your doing the larger setups but your saying it's just fine the way it is? Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind doing that part but at the same time if it's not necessary then I'd rather not have to do it.

Your friend driving the 500whp setup for 3 years, what's his current setup and dyno charts if you don't mind me asking? (IE: 93 octane, how much boost, chart, map) so I can look at his and compare to see what I'm missing or where I may be doing something wrong?

Also 400 shipped?... for a k24a8? Where can I find these type deals readily out there :cool: If I had a spare engine sitting in my garage I'd be much more likely to turn up the boost controller to see what my setup will do.

So you feel the recommended redline is low? You think it would be safe to push it roughly 400-500rpm's higher without any worries?

I mean with this information a little more concrete I would feel safe pushing my car a little harder. I'm just looking to see if you can shed some light with numbers I can look at please.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
980 Posts
Okay, I got a few questions for you Flip if you don't mind.

Do you have any maps or tunes of people running the numbers you're saying on pump gas only (93)?

Why does everyone always say make sure you swap oil pumps when your doing the larger setups but your saying it's just fine the way it is? Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind doing that part but at the same time if it's not necessary then I'd rather not have to do it.

Your friend driving the 500whp setup for 3 years, what's his current setup and dyno charts if you don't mind me asking? (IE: 93 octane, how much boost, chart, map) so I can look at his and compare to see what I'm missing or where I may be doing something wrong?

Also 400 shipped?... for a k24a8? Where can I find these type deals readily out there :cool: If I had a spare engine sitting in my garage I'd be much more likely to turn up the boost controller to see what my setup will do.

So you feel the recommended redline is low? You think it would be safe to push it roughly 400-500rpm's higher without any worries?

I mean with this information a little more concrete I would feel safe pushing my car a little harder. I'm just looking to see if you can shed some light with numbers I can look at please.

Thanks,
John

i have my map but its for meth injection not pump

I can only talk from my experiances and it has worked for me

i found a honda recycle yard that only deals with accords crvs rsx and elements they have great deals u got to search around

on ur stock motor 7200rpm no worries at all yes 8000rpm no worries here but ur stock cams only make power to 7100 if u want to make power higher either get aftermarket cams or i did vtec killer stock rsxs type s cams

I attached a dyno i did like 3 months ago 9.8psi i only took the dyno till 7500 cause it was spinning above that

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
-i have my map but its for meth injection not pump

- I can only talk from my experiences and it has worked for me

- on ur stock motor 7200rpm no worries at all yes 8000rpm no worries here but ur stock cams only make power to 7100 if u want to make power higher either get aftermarket cams or i did vtec killer stock rsxs type s cams

- I attached a dyno i did like 3 months ago 9.8psi i only took the dyno till 7500 cause it was spinning above that
Thanks Flipsx, do you mind showing me your meth injection tune/kal/dyno so I could look it over? I know it's meth which will be a little different but I wouldn't mind looking at the setup anyways just to see how my car is doing. I'd love to get more out of my car with pump (93) without destroying my reliability of my car.

Your 9.8PSI setup what was the turbo he was using? Was that the bigger AR housing?

I know you're talking from experience and I like having someone that's knowledgeable explain things to me so that I can improve my setup. Would you recommend more towards aftermarket cams for my k24 or would you say it'd be smarter to just upgrade to a a2 or z3 head swap all together?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Very nice your K24a4!!!
I have a similar K24a8 and:

Yesterday go with my car to a Dynojet and at 15,5 psi 18% ignition advance witha hta3586 made around 410whp (all stock k24a8, stock head, stock cams, and rbc manifold with a blend intank 2 walbros ID1000 50 psi base fuel pressure: 20% methanol and 80% 91 octanes per volume) and a wat/met kit not in use at this levels.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKmjOgCie0U

Now with 18,6 psi, but at 20° ignition time:

little more power?

Need help to improve calibration from flipsx3!!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Every time I look at flips setup it makes me want to sell my setup and go that route. Cheap power ftw!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's my KAL flip.
Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
980 Posts
a k24a4 does not have the ability to go past 25 vtc stock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Every time I look at flips setup it makes me want to sell my setup and go that route. Cheap power ftw!
Careful with those OBX sidewinders though. The have a tendency to cause people on forums who paid twice as much to tell you it's going to crack.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts