Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i'm finally going K:dance: There's not really a thread with the swap being done into a del Sol so I figured i'd give it a try:wink: So I have everything being shipped right now so the swap will hopefully be going in within the next few weeks. The car started off as a piece of sh*t and I've put around 15k into the car so far, NOT INCLUDING the K24 swap yet. Anyways, the build is just a basic K24A4/ K20A2. I am going stock valvetrain for now and throwing in the CRV 9:6:1 pistons and rods. Here in the near future i'm gonna boost it.

EDIT: Alright I got time so i'll redo this post. Basically this is what my build consists of for those who asked.
-K24A4 (Accord/Element) block
-K24A1 (CRV) Pistons and Rods
-K20A2 03 head
-K20A2 03 tranny
-K20 OEM Flywheel
-K20 Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
-K20 VTC sensor
-K20 OEM Fuel Rail for right now.
-K20 Intake Manifold
-K20 Throttle Body
-K20 Starter------K24 will work as well
-K20 Alternator---K24 will work as well
-K24A4 Oil Pump
-K24A4 Oil Pan
-K24A1 (CRV) Waterpump---The A4 is fine, but mine didnt come with a pulley. I dunno, so dont ask!
-K24A4 Valve cover for right now. About to powdercoat my K20 cover red. (Yes they are interchangable)
-K24A1 Passenger Side Mount---Needed to mount a K24 into an EG.
-D-series Thermo and fan switch
-OEM EG Radiator
-Rsx-s Samco Radiator Hoses
-03 Civic Shift box with DC Sports SS and Karcepts kit. (Brian says the 01 up, non EP3 Civic Shift Box sits lower in a del Sol so thats what i'm gonna try!!)
-Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
-EP3 Idler Pulley
-Hasport EGK1 Mounts
-Rcrew Header

So heres what i'm working with :up:

A quick write up of how my build went.
The OLD

Yanked it out...

I didnt get shots of the motor while it was complete but this is where it started.

Now this is the tool I used to get that damn crank bolt off with. I think it ran about $21. Made by Powerbuilt, # 648796. They make another one thats supposed to work for Hondas that looks somewhat like a big silver spanner wrench, don't get that one. Wrong size!!

It works better with breaker bars but i've already broke those trying it a different way.

Heres some quick pics of the A4 head and rocker arms.

Then pull the oil pan and pump off.

Tied up the rocker assembly and pulled it off.

Block with head off and A4 pistons.

Replaced with K24A1 pistons and rods. They'll have to do for now.

K24A4 oil pump back on, along with A4 oil chain, tensioner and rail.

Test fitting Rcrew header onto k20A2 head

Setting the timing

Now everything put back together. Waiting on my EP3 idler pulley and waterpump WITH a pulley to come in!
Motor together with:
-A4 block, oil pump, and pan.
-A1 pistons and rods.
-K20 head, intake manifold, throttle body.
-Rcrew header

Now working on some other things.....

Car crammed in the garage for the night

Took off the passenger side mount by drilling the spot welds, and then the same for the condensor and radiator support brackets. Which the girl just HAD to drill!!

Now for those of you that asked me about the 01-up shifter box, here it is. The 01-up, non EP3 box will work perfectly into a del Sol, it sits lower into the console, almost acting as a short shifter. So this is an 03 shift box, RSX-S shift cables, DC Sports Short shifter, and Karcepts kit.

Engine bay before paint

Painted the bay, still have to touch up a few spots and then add the clear.

Just updated and re-did this thread tonight that way it looks a little bit nicer now!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Keep us posted. Cant wait to see how it turns out. Oh and dont forget to ask brian (if he still does it) to modify the karcepts kit for you cause it aint gonna fit.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
farva said:
Keep us posted. Cant wait to see how it turns out. Oh and dont forget to ask brian (if he still does it) to modify the karcepts kit for you cause it aint gonna fit.
Yeah, he showed me how to do it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone else havin problems with pics?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I think its fixed...

·
Registered
135 Posts
When do you think you will be putting in the engine? I wanna see how it fits with the k24/k20 setup cause i plan on putting my type r head on a k24 also.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i'm trying to find a k20a2 head, axles and a swap header. I had all of it lined up to buy but people backed out. Thats all I lack. Some of the people have been running late shipping my packages so i'm still missing ALOT of stuff. Waiting for parts from Honda, etc. I received my Hybrid Racing Conversion Harness and my slave cylinder with hardline though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure how much longer...depends on shipping. Maybe a little over 2 weeks?Thats not even including the problems I'm going to run into though:p

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well things are starting to speed up a little bit more. I got in my Samco Radiator hoses and Suja1 Clutch line today. I also got in my flywheel bolts from Honda which I will go pick up tomorrow morning. I will bolt on the flywheel tomorrow and jam something in the flywheel to lock it up so I can get that crank bolt off. Then things will start speeding along. My transmission, halfshaft, engine harness, charge harness, alternator, starter, and fuel rail will be in in the next two days. But here are just a few more pics.:D

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I picked up a head. I have the CRV pistons installed now. I have my Aeromotive FPR, fuel lines and fittings in, axles, charge harness, engine harness, tranny,and all parts from Honda. Basically everything has come in. The only thing i'm waiting for to come in is my headgasket and a couple of tubes of Hondabond.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
khmerpimpin said:
Hey when you're done getting things together can you put together a little rundown of what you spent for each part.
Yeah, I may do that one day at work. I'm "supposed" to be a telemarketer, but all I do is sit around all day reading my Helms and Haynes manuals and on K20a.org. I'll probably try to put one together tomorrow or so just for the hell of it.:up:

·
Registered
94 Posts
my car is in the garage gettin a k24/k20 convertion but it sux that it sits so high so i need to figure out what to do with the bonnet cause in australia we arnt allowed to have a hole in the bonnet...:( what you think i should do also i have a carbon fibre bonnet and i dont wanna get ride of it

BTW good luck with your car..

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mr_vtec said:
my car is in the garage gettin a k24/k20 convertion but it sux that it sits so high so i need to figure out what to do with the bonnet cause in australia we arnt allowed to have a hole in the bonnet...:( what you think i should do also i have a carbon fibre bonnet and i dont wanna get ride of it

BTW good luck with your car..
How are they going to know you have a hole in the bonnet? Im guessing the only way they will find out is when you get inspected, if thats the case, cut a hole in the skeleton of the C.F. one so it fits correctly, and if you have a spare or junk hood laying around just use that one to get your inspection sticker. Then swap them back out!! I had a junk hood I would have sent to you if you needed, but I threw it away.:hammer:

newby95 said:
what samco kit did you use
The RSX-S.

·
Registered
94 Posts
um thankx but aye ill make my thread when i got time prob later today but yea it kinda sits heaps high i dont think cutting the skeleton is enough....we will see when my mate looks at it for me.... post pics of the old motor and new motor..

1 - 20 of 114 Posts