Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do anyone know if I can put a k20a2 head or k20a head on my k24a4 ? If so after that can I upgrade the cams to drag cartel 3.2 ?

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,354 Posts
Do anyone know if I can put a k20a2 head or k20a head on my k24a4 ? If so after that can I upgrade the cams to drag cartel 3.2 ?
You need to swap the pistons on the a4. When you install the k20 head on the a4 block it causes piston to valve contact. Rumor is a thicker head gasket remedies this but I can’t say for sure. I have seen a buddies car awhile back who swore he put the type s head straight onto the a4 block and beat on it regularly , raced it etc. one way to be 100% sure is to clay the engine for clearances but that’s a bit of a process.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,354 Posts
A full tsx motor will cost less than the DC cams. And be a huge jump in performance. Just my .02. The a4 is also a decent candidate for a vtec killer setup with oem 3 lobe cams but without kpro it’s not a smart route.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to swap the pistons on the a4. When you install the k20 head on the a4 block it causes piston to valve contact. Rumor is a thicker head gasket remedies this but I can’t say for sure. I have seen a buddies car awhile back who swore he put the type s head straight onto the a4 block and beat on it regularly , raced it etc. one way to be 100% sure is to clay the engine for clearances but that’s a bit of a process.
Okay so instead of me changing the pistons I’ll just have to keep this head or go w a vtec k24 head or just built this head to a vtec killer my self correct if I don’t wanna change the pistons rn ?

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,354 Posts
Okay so instead of me changing the pistons I’ll just have to keep this head or go w a vtec k24 head or just built this head to a vtec killer my self correct if I don’t wanna change the pistons rn ?
Honestly I think the k24 RBB head may cause the same issues as the type s head swap does. You may be able to shave down the oem pistons to clear the valves in vtec at max vtc but to be honest it would need to be clayed to know for sure the valves won’t hit. The a4 is a good starter motor but a bastard in terms of head Swaps. Yes you could use 8 exhaust rockers and do the vtec killer with oem tsx or rsx/z3 cams but without kpro it won’t run right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly I think the k24 RBB head may cause the same issues as the type s head swap does. You may be able to shave down the oem pistons to clear the valves in vtec at max vtc but to be honest it would need to be clayed to know for sure the valves won’t hit. The a4 is a good starter motor but a bastard in terms of head Swaps. Yes you could use 8 exhaust rockers and do the vtec killer with oem tsx or rsx/z3 cams but without kpro it won’t run right.
Okay alright ima look for some rsx cams and then kpro what about Hondata I heard some ppl say it’s better just to be clear one more time rsx tsx or z3 cams as the exhaust side or just the whole thing and I’ll get vtec ? My fault I’m a lil confusing first car and build on my own , thanks for the help .

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,354 Posts
Okay alright ima look for some rsx cams and then kpro what about Hondata I heard some ppl say it’s better just to be clear one more time rsx tsx or z3 cams as the exhaust side or just the whole thing and I’ll get vtec ? My fault I’m a lil confusing first car and build on my own , thanks for the help .
Hondata is the company that makes the KPRO which gets installed into the stock computer but you have to have an 02-04 ecu for kpro. Hondata has a list of compatible ecu on their website. To do a vtec killer you will need 8 of the EXHAUST rockers from your current engine. 4 of which you already have. Then you can use the oem vtec cams from the k20a2,k20z1,k20z3 and the k24a2. You will
Not have vtec as the cams are locked on the big lobe , but you will have the peak power of the vtec cam. A stock k24a4 with tsx cams and an rbc ,3” intake and exhaust should be 210whp and beyond estimating conservatively.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,354 Posts
It will take a bit of tuning to get the idle and part throttle correct and it won’t drive as smooth as a true vtec engine as well as your gas mileage going down the shitter. But it sure sounds cool and is a relatively cheap way to jump the power of a stock k24a4.i have been debating doing this same setup on my spare engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hondata is the company that makes the KPRO which gets installed into the stock computer but you have to have an 02-04 ecu for kpro. Hondata has a list of compatible ecu on their website. To do a vtec killer you will need 8 of the EXHAUST rockers from your current engine. 4 of which you already have. Then you can use the oem vtec cams from the k20a2,k20z1,k20z3 and the k24a2. You will
Not have vtec as the cams are locked on the big lobe , but you will have the peak power of the vtec cam. A stock k24a4 with tsx cams and an rbc ,3” intake and exhaust should be 210whp and beyond estimating conservatively.
Alright thank you ima go for that and try and get that 210whp would e85 be good to get on or get a tune on 91 ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pump gas would be easier and more daily friendly. For a relatively stock engine 91 is just fine.
Alright thank you soon I’ll be on 91 rn I’m on 89 would it be difficult to trany swap a fwd car or like any other I can drop from the bottom ?

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,354 Posts
Alright thank you soon I’ll be on 91 rn I’m on 89 would it be difficult to trany swap a fwd car or like any other I can drop from the bottom ?
You can drop from the bottom , doing a k swapped car is pretty simple. If it’s in a 2001+ chassis its slightly more complicated but still comes out the same way.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,373 Posts
I know where there are piles of oem cams and cam gears. PM me if your interested

1 - 16 of 16 Posts