Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....A few questions, First,......Can i just stick in the k20a2 cams,(the camshaft and cam gears only) into the k24? without having to change the whole valve train?...
Second, is it true that I CANT bolt up a k20a2 head onto the k24a4 block?.I plan to do this after winter....
Please I need some confirmation...before i start taking things apart. Thanks

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yes and yes. You can put the k20 cam and VTC into the k24 but I would make sure you control the timing and not use the full 50 degrees. Max Hondata recommends is 45 degrees because of the close valve/piston clearance.

I was told the k24a4 won't directly bolt together. I would go with the k24a1 or k24a2. I have the k24a2.

·
Registered
327 Posts
you need to change out complete valve train from an a2 and flip the pin to lock one of the lobes since u have no LMAs. so to answer your first question .. NO.

As for your secon question, yes just bolt up any kseries head and thats it. From my understanding only the k24a1 will not have problems with PTV. Any other k24 blocks u might have problems.

And if he has a k24a2, there is no need to put on an a2 head. He already has true vtec with that motor.

u beat me to it.....

·
Registered
954 Posts
Comparing the RSX K20 and the TSX K24

The two engines share an almost identical head design. Cams are interchangeable, so any Cam made for the K20 will fit the K24. Higher lift camshafts require better valve springs, retainers and spring seats.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK,....that still left me kinda in the dark, im hearing yes and no. ... so,...let me start over,....this is what i have....
A k24a4 Long block and a complete k20a2 with IPS cams and mahle pistons, with a cracked block, and another blown k20a2(dropped a valve), so i have extra a2 parts sitting around. ...................
So what I want to do is this, Put the extra set of k20a2 cams in the k24a4 for now, and drive it as a winter car. Then later, swap out the head for my IPS k20a2 head.....
So what do I have to do the make the k20a2 cams work in the k24a4 head?
Now what worries me the most is that the k24a4 doesnt bolt up to the k20a2 head. What do I have to do to make this work...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Well to solve the head and block problem... get a different block...

The k24a2 from the TSX is the closest to the k20 possible. With interchanging everything and no modifying to bolt together. I've only done my research on the k24a2 from the TSX.

This is from Hondata and it's amazing. But it's about the k24a2.
http://hondata.com/tuning_k24a2_tsx_engine.html

So to put a k20a2 head on a k24a4 block is out of my knowledge.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Comparing the RSX K20 and the TSX K24

The two engines share an almost identical head design. Cams are interchangeable, so any Cam made for the K20 will fit the K24. Higher lift camshafts require better valve springs, retainers and spring seats.

NO... if you don't know what about your are talking don't say nothing...

the TSX is the k24a2 engine and yes you can put k20a2 cam in it....

But he talk about a k24a4... is really different in this case with only VTEC on the intake side...

SO HE CAN'T RUN K24A4 WITH K20A2 CAM WITHOUT ALL THE ROCKER ASSEMBLY AND A TUNED ECU....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well to solve the head and block problem... get a different block...

The k24a2 from the TSX is the closest to the k20 possible. With interchanging everything and no modifying to bolt together. I've only done my research on the k24a2 from the TSX.

This is from Hondata and it's amazing. But it's about the k24a2.
http://hondata.com/tuning_k24a2_tsx_engine.html

So to put a k20a2 head on a k24a4 block is out of my knowledge.
Thanks, but if i get a tsx motor, i wouldnt do anything anyways, because the tsx is already a k24 bottom end with the k20 head, the main difference is the piston comp. ratios. But im stuck with a k24a4, and i want to make that work, because tsx arent that easy to come by around here, esp. if at a right price.

·
Registered
954 Posts
NO... if you don't know what about your are talking don't say nothing...

the TSX is the k24a2 engine and yes you can put k20a2 cam in it....

But he talk about a k24a4... is really different in this case with only VTEC on the intake side...

SO HE CAN'T RUN K24A4 WITH K20A2 CAM WITHOUT ALL THE ROCKER ASSEMBLY AND A TUNED ECU....

What I wrote was a strait copy and paste from Hondata's website. I didn't mention the k24a4 in the quote you posted. I said the TSX k24. Either way I already said I'm sorry but the k24a4 is out of my knowledge since I did a k20z1 to k24a2 swap. I didn't mess around with trying to make a k24a4 work cause they are a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
228 Posts
k24a2 its the better 2.4l its sure...

but this one cost 3 to 4 time the price of the other k24...

In a frank build, when you change piston and rod, the only TSX advantage its is lighter crankshaft and the oil squirter...

and Oil squirter is not so essential with aftermarket rods

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what did you spend for the K24a4? Hell, I got my 07 K24a2 with 8K mi. for $2000...seems pretty inexpensive to me.
only got it for 400, was planning to use it replace my k20a2 that i cracked.

but i want to eventually do a k24/k20 swap.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
From what I was told you CAN NOT run a A2 head on the A4 block without first swapping out the stock pistons. There are protrusions on the A4 pistons that will contact the non-A4 head.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I was told you CAN NOT run a A2 head on the A4 block without first swapping out the stock pistons. There are protrusions on the A4 pistons that will contact the non-A4 head.

Thanks!, now that makes sense, So all I have to do is replace the pistons?.....I'll probably end up doing that anyways. Too bad my k20a2 pistons dont fit,....Is there anything else I need to do to make the k24a4 work?

·
Registered
434 Posts
What I wrote was a strait copy and paste from Hondata's website. I didn't mention the k24a4 in the quote you posted. I said the TSX k24. Either way I already said I'm sorry but the k24a4 is out of my knowledge since I did a k20z1 to k24a2 swap. I didn't mess around with trying to make a k24a4 work cause they are a pain in the ass.
you are a retard, stop posting

·
Registered
327 Posts
you are a retard, stop posting
lol... sad but true.

TALONXRACER.. thanx for posting those pics. Shows why they say only on k24a1 can u slap on the head and have no PTV. Sucks that they didnt just keep same pistons into all the k24 bottom ends. I have a k24a8 and suffer the problem with those ugly peaks on my slugs...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I see manybody just rework the piston head for give the needed valve clearance...

So changing the whole piston make most sense...

I bought a k24a4 longblock for 300$.... CAN ... so its something like 250$ in US

·
Registered
434 Posts
I see manybody just rework the piston head for give the needed valve clearance...

So changing the whole piston make most sense...

I bought a k24a4 longblock for 300$.... CAN ... so its something like 250$ in US
so all you would have to do is swap out the stock pistons with some used or new tsx pistons and rods and you would be good to go. . .

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Here is a pic showing the K24A1 piston and rod compared to a Wiseco 11.5cr and I-beam rod from BPR.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts