Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of preparing for an upcoming build, im struggling to find information on the k24a3.

Ideally, I would like a k24a2 but they are hard to get here in the UK so am going for the k24a3

I heard that some k24a3's have the "good" i-vtec (the vtec for more power) and some have the "bad" i-vtec (the vtec for fuel economy), is there a way to identify which ones have which type from the outside of the engine, eg without taking it apart?

Also are there any differences with the rest of the engine I should know about?

All the best George

·
Registered
108 Posts
Don't have the K24a3 over here in the US but according to Wikipedia there is only one variation of it. Makes 197 hp and 171 lb ft.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah im aware that is what the wiki said but iv heard about that there are 2 kinds maybe that is wrong tho i just don't know?

·
Registered
108 Posts
The only way I can think of to check would be to pull the valve cover and check for the 3 lobe camshafts. You may be able to remove the oil fill cap and look in, I'm not sure though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, that was what my thinking was, just didn't know if there was any other ways to do it :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here are some not very good pics. First pic is a K20a2 head with the 3 lobe VTEC, you can see three lobes on the intake camshaft through the oil fill hole.

Here is a pic of a K24a8 ('06 US Accord). You can see there are just two lobes on the intake cam as seen through the oil fill hole again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so your can see thought the fill port that's great, thanks alot for checking 😊

1 - 9 of 9 Posts