Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K24a2 swap into a Toyota Supra chassis. Running Megasquirt EVO. Dyno is a Dynapack using no correction factor. Uncorrected dyno numbers are 180hp/135tq.
Cam timing is spot on. Injectors were cleaned. New spark plugs. Good compression.
50 degree VTC gear with 40* Tractuff limiting pin
70mm Throttle body on a Miata intake
VTEC crossover set at 4000rpm
3" CAI
2.5" exhaust off stock header

Typical torque curves for this engine on the same brand dyno don't have a dip in the middle, just a steady rise from 2k-6krpm. This engine made 50+ pulls on the dyno during tuning and the AFRs are great across the map. The VTC and VTEC are functioning as designed. I think something is wrong but I'm at a loss to figure it out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll see if I can dig those out of the tune file. I believe that the VTC starts at 15 degrees just before the VTEC crossover, then goes to 30 right at the crossover. Before that I thinks it's at 0 degrees. My tuner tried more angle and said that it made no change.

I'll get the tables posted Sunday when I return home.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After doing some more digging I found that the VTC is also supposed to advance the intake on the low cam also. My VTC table has 0 degrees of advance until 4000rpm (VTEC crossover).

Any theories how this might affect performance? My guess is that we're giving up significant torque from 2-4000rpm by having no advance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You'll generally find best performance with the intake fully advanced at low speeds, and then retarding back to zero advance at higher speeds. At the switch over point it's a balancing act of what cam advance doesn't give up too much no the low cam and the high cam.

About a third the way through this presentation there's some good info on how cam timing impacts torque:

Also check this out:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I found those exact links about 2 weeks ago and started building a cam advance map based on Hondata's optimized tables. The graphs of tq and HP at different cam angle are eye-opening. The Megasquirt table only has 8 columns for RPM so it's going to be a little tricky at the VTEC crossover.

Here's my best guess within the limitations of the MS3 software. There are no command values over 40 because I have a Tractuf 40 degree pin. VTEC is set at 4000rpm. Only some more dyno time will confirm my theory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts