Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im really new to the k series and im just trying to do some research cause i plan on swapping one of those motors in my car but not sure which one to go with. which ones faster and be better fixing up?

·
Banned
15,812 Posts
That is a very good question. You have to look at the facts and make your own conclusion. Personally, I think the k24a2 is a nice motor with some good potential.

Other than one user who swapped it in his RSX, I have not seen any other dynos. Compared to a k20a2, I think with same mods, it is going to make more power and more tq. The problem is that once you get it, you have to make it work by adding certain parts.. Also hondata K pro is pretty much necessary. For the price they go for it is a good deal because you know you can sell that head for $1000 easy and that shortblock for another $600-$1000.. At first the tsx swaps went for $4000 but the reason why we are seeing the $2000 prices on them is supply.

You see with $3500 you can get a type s swap with motor, tranny, ecu, harness, shifter cables, shifter, and pretty much everything to get the motor started...

With the tsx, you have to mix and match... So in most cases, on top of the TSX motor, you have to buy the throttle body, manifold, ep3/type s tranny, type s harness, shifter cables, shifter, starter, alternator and whatever sensors that are broken. You might also need to do some machine work etc... on the block (see ongoing threads on people's tsx projects) Most of these parts, you have to buy used..... A starter new for example is $700.... alternator $700... harness $300... and so on.. so it is better to get them used to save money...

In the end for a complete TSX swap, I could see around $3500-$4000 being spent... maybe more, maybe less, depending on the deals you can get.. and how patient and lucky you are.. For example, off ebay I won an auction for $20 for a shifter+shifter cables... I hope I get them lol... Starter and alternator was $150 from a junkyard... etc..

A friend of mine from this website, who has a k20a type R in his EG that run 12.4 in the 1/4 mile, just bought a TSX motor... He is going to swap it his car and swap parts between the motors... In his case, he doesn';t need to buy anything... And if he makes the power he wants to... he can always sell his k20a R and k24a parts that are left over and make some good money back....

If you have doubts on the TSX motor, I would wait and see what other people will make out of it...

Hope that helped you,

Nikos

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just know that in all my reading and comparison of a few different dyno's of the K24A2's, I'm not convinced. It seems to me, that in a street/stock internal setup the (safe) rev limitations on the K24's become a crutch to make large hp numbers like the K20's. Everything I have seen on the TSX engines, make it seem that the hp numbers will easily climb into the 8K+ range, just isn't feasible on the stock internal engine it seems. For that reason, it seems like the K24's are a better builder platform, but not a better "engine with some bolt ons" platform...the k20 seems more appealing in that area. JMO

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a lot. i am going to get a k24 comlpete. i was wondering wut head can i put on it to make that ls/vtec for k 20's?? and wut else would i need to do to make the k20 ls/vtec/?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
K24a2 is my choice :) :p

:up:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.