Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, long time lurker here. Swapping in a K24a2 from a 05 TSX into my 00 em1. I was wondering about how much hp/tq this motor should make with the following mods (already bought) and was curious about the positives and negatives of the 6 spd vs 5 spd in this car, not sure if I'm going turbo in the future currently have a 5spd. Also, what is a safe rev limit? I've heard anywhere from 7600 to 8200... And is the LSD worth getting? Thanks in advance!

Mods List:
3" SRI intake piping
70mm Blox throttle body
Ported/polished RBC
Type R camshaft with 50deg VTC
Supertech 80lb valvetrain
K20a2 oil pump
Kpro
K-tuned budget swap header
3" Kteller exhaust piping to 3" K-tuned universal muffler
91 oct

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LSD is worth it for sure if not you'll spinning tires a lot. I have the same swap, bone stock k24a2 with 6 speed type S tranny in a ek coupe
Cool, probably going to pick up an LSD soon. How you liking the torque so far? Also, I've searched all over but is the spoiler on the 99-00 EK coupe's actually functional? The previous owner removed it and I'm going to be tracking this thing eventually, was wondering if it would help in the corners a bit to keep it planted or if there are some good aftermarket options that are actually performance oriented and not a park bench

·
Registered
79 Posts
The torque is amazing compared to the stock d16. Not sure about the spoiler tho but tires will make more of a difference than a spoiler thats for sure

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with jonnyfrancis in regards to the torque of the K24. You’ll find yourself in 5th/6th gear a lot if you ride around town, and actually still able to accelerate in those gears. In my car, I shift it like the semi truck drivers do since it’s so torquey

Even in the case of the B16, in terms of the torque output of what you’d get from the K24, it’s a night and day difference. I think the torque difference between the D16y8 and B16a2 was only 5 lb/ft so either way it’s quite a difference once you swap over.

There are many variables that would affect the output, but maybe 220-230whp and 180-190wtq? That’s a rough guess. In my own setup when it was basically stock with bolt ons (RBC, OEM TB, KTuned Big Tube, stock head block K24a2, 3” cold air, RDX injectors, KPro, 93oct) it made 229.4whp and 189.2 wtq

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with jonnyfrancis in regards to the torque of the K24. You’ll find yourself in 5th/6th gear a lot if you ride around town, and actually still able to accelerate in those gears. In my car, I shift it like the semi truck drivers do since it’s so torquey

Even in the case of the B16, in terms of the torque output of what you’d get from the K24, it’s a night and day difference. I think the torque difference between the D16y8 and B16a2 was only 5 lb/ft so either way it’s quite a difference once you swap over.

There are many variables that would affect the output, but maybe 220-230whp and 180-190wtq? That’s a rough guess. In my own setup when it was basically stock with bolt ons (RBC, OEM TB, KTuned Big Tube, stock head block K24a2, 3” cold air, RDX injectors, KPro, 93oct) it made 229.4whp and 189.2 wtq
Thanks for the advice. How much do you think the Type R cams and 50deg VTC gear will increase those numbers? I've heard different thinks anywhere from 10-15 to over 30 HP gain since the biggest roadblock on the k24a2 is the cams.

·
Registered
79 Posts
k24a2 cams are actually quite good specially 06-08 which are a bit more agressive than 04-05 but the RBB head don't flow as good as some other k-series heads

·
Registered
44 Posts
The 06-08 TSX cams actually aren’t bad at all. The intake cam is an upgrade over the 04-05 TSX version. I believe that if you used the DC5-R cams in the K24a2, you’d lose midrange power as the primary/secondary lobes are smaller

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 06-08 TSX cams actually aren’t bad at all. The intake cam is an upgrade over the 04-05 TSX version. I believe that if you used the DC5-R cams in the K24a2, you’d lose midrange power as the primary/secondary lobes are smaller
How do you think the type R cams would feel up top (8000+) when compared to the 06-08 k24a2 cams?

·
Registered
44 Posts

Here’s a reference reading on those cams and the 06-08 TSX, 04-05 TSX, Z3, Z1 and A2 cams. He is using them (DC5-R cams and 06-08 TSX) in a K20 so it wouldn’t be exactly the same as the K24. It’s not just pics; there are also a few people talking about their experiences swapping out the cams and dyno numbers.

In my opinion, maybe on top it might surpass the results of the 06-08 TSX cams but not by a whole lot based on what I’ve previously stated and past readings on this site and others (I swear I’ve seen a dyno regarding this somewhere).

In order to rev that high safely on that motor (any motor in my opinion) you’d need appropriate modifications like valve springs and such. The OEM intake manifold for a K24a2 isn’t ideal for the powerband you’re thinking of. There are OEM solutions (RBC, RRC) and aftermarket ones. Then of course, good cams help the motor breathe better overall and especially up top and shift the power band to the right, as in giving you a longer power band and making power in the higher rpm range where OEM cams drop off.

Example: my K24a2 has a stock block (aside from the Type S oil pump) but has a ported Type S head with upgraded valve train, an aftermarket intake manifold and TB, and DC 3.2 cams and the tuner set my rev limit to 8800. Does it make power up there? It holds the power it makes at 8400 but when it was tuned it had the OEM TB which was the smallest point in the induction system so the graph wasn’t very smooth at the top he said if I had the gasket to the 72mm and we rolled with that we could have surpassed what it made (264.55 whp and a vacuum leak) Now it has the 72mm TB but I haven’t gotten it retuned. I couldn’t give you a fair comparison coming from the 06 TSX cams to the DC 3.2s. But it definitely keeps running stronger to redline regardless of gear. But then again the head, cams, TB and manifold are all upgraded so it’s a combination of everything that’s helping.

Even then, I think I might’ve went that high in the rpm (8800) 1 time on an on-ramp just to see how it felt but that’s about it. If you track or dragstrip it, go ahead. If it’s a street car, you’ll be so blown by the torque and passing power you won’t ever rev it up to 6000, let alone 8000. But that’s just my opinion

1 - 12 of 12 Posts