Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title sums it up. Rebuilding my original engine from my 2006 TSX, and was considering the 13020-RL5-A00 pistons from the 09 TSX. I've been searching, but haven't found any definitive answers. Would this pose any issues, assuming the head and block didn't need to be machined?

Also, would a 50* VTC pose any issues? I'm not swapping to a different head, cams, nor oil pump. It would remain limited to the stock 7600 RPM cutoff.

The engine had 192K miles, and is exceptionally well maintained. I pulled it due to a VTC failure, and dropped in a replacement. I've torn it down and it looks new with no issues. I'm not racing the car, but don't see an issue doing simple, cheap improvements while it's apart. I'll be refreshing my Euro-R trans while I'm at it, to do it all at once. I've had the car 10 years, and don't plan to replace or leave it anytime soon.

Finally, would the Nippon pistons be okay to use for my needs? Again, I'm not racing the car or going for large numbers. If they're fine to use, I don't see the point in spending over double for the same thing. Opinions?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've always like the look of the Nippon pistons. They appear to be a nice OES alternative to buying from Honda direct. Inspecting photographs without a part in hand, they look to me to be identical to Honda parts to me, so all the script about being 300% better than a stock piston is probably hogwash. I'd wager they're just a Honda supplier that's marketing replacement pistons of the same design as factory.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Title sums it up. Rebuilding my original engine from my 2006 TSX, and was considering the 13020-RL5-A00 pistons from the 09 TSX. I've been searching, but haven't found any definitive answers. Would this pose any issues, assuming the head and block didn't need to be machined?

Also, would a 50* VTC pose any issues? I'm not swapping to a different head, cams, nor oil pump. It would remain limited to the stock 7600 RPM cutoff.

The engine had 192K miles, and is exceptionally well maintained. I pulled it due to a VTC failure, and dropped in a replacement. I've torn it down and it looks new with no issues. I'm not racing the car, but don't see an issue doing simple, cheap improvements while it's apart. I'll be refreshing my Euro-R trans while I'm at it, to do it all at once. I've had the car 10 years, and don't plan to replace or leave it anytime soon.

Finally, would the Nippon pistons be okay to use for my needs? Again, I'm not racing the car or going for large numbers. If they're fine to use, I don't see the point in spending over double for the same thing. Opinions?

I believe with the 09 pistons you have to shave down the exhaust side of the dome to prevent clearance issues. But they have deeper valve pockets if I remember right so you should be fine at whatever vtc your motor likes with the oem cams.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts