Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

i need some advise,i'm gonna use toda a2 cams and i was thinking if i can use 45deg vtc with this cams.

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
hello

i need some advise,i'm gonna use toda a2 cams and i was thinking if i can use 45deg vtc with this cams.
hondata says 45 is safe for OEM '06 TSX cams. toda & tsx are not the same. One persons motor may have one clearance, while someone elses can be different (ie you had your head resurfaced)

'06+ K24a2 (usdm) have deeper valve reliefs than 04-05. IIRC euro motors may get the older pistons. You may want a little more clearance on a K24 to allow for more room for hard downshifts.

I think toda is larger (12.5mm lift correct?) than oem '06 tsx. I have 12.5mm cams on a K20 & I run a max of 40vtc, but thats a k20.

look in the engine building forum for a stickied thread on claying clearances for more info

if you want an actual answer you'll need to clay the motor. even then you will have varying opinions as to what is a safe clearance & what isn't. NO ONE is going to give you the right answer. you'll have to find it out or guess & hope for the best like I did.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes the cams are 12.5 lift and 297 duration, hondata has tested 45 vtc with toda n2 cams if you read the old test. will there be any hp difference if i use 40deg vtc to be safe.

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
maybe 5 or so hp/tq in the midrange. same power up top

what year tsx pistons are you running? are they USDM or Euro

if I ran my same 12.5mm in a K24, I would run less vtc

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
yes the cams are 12.5 lift and 297 duration, hondata has tested 45 vtc with toda n2 cams if you read the old test. will there be any hp difference if i use 40deg vtc to be safe.
i just re-read. to be very clear Hondata used a 45 degree gear with n2, but they do not state what the max vtc they used. although you maybe safe at 40 - do take it as anyone is telling you its safe. best of luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it have 04-05 pistons.my car is euro accord, engine is k24a3 same as k24a2. i read somebody have clayed his engine whit skunk2 stage 2 cams and 50deg vtc there is plenty of room.

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
it have 04-05 pistons.my car is euro accord, engine is k24a3 same as k24a2. i read somebody have clayed his engine whit skunk2 stage 2 cams and 50deg vtc there is plenty of room.
how much clearance was there .010" (.25mm)? something so small is not enough. there is a chance that person incorrectly clayed his motor most likely. It is not easy, you need to reverse the rocker pin orientation to lock vtec lobes & then find a way to modify the vtc gear to lock at 50 vtc.

FYI in a friends motor skunk2 stg had valve to piston contact with custom 12.5 pistons with valve reliefs that are much deeper than 04-05 tsx reliefs. take from that what you will. do not belief everything you read on the intrawebz

you may not have contact on a cold motor - but what happens when things expand?

in terms of size sk2 stg2 > toda a2 > tsx. If tsx is not good above 45 how could sk2 be (granted duration need to be added into the equation - also you cannot go off a manufacturers "advertised" specs)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts