Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want your thoughts on this.

We know and we agree that the k20a R and k20a2 with K pro. I/H/E can get some pretty decent power in all motor. With cams, more is possible, more fuel is needed and more air and ideally only with ITBS people will see HUGE all motor power etc... All that in a nutshell really.. Brian G from hasport has been talking about the "non vtec" k24a from the element, accord, crv for a long time now... The LS swap of the future These motors exist everywhere and junkyards are filled with them. For $800-$1200 you can buy a decent one and as time goes by there are going to be more and more available.. Honda is selling a lot of k24a cars... By the time production ends on the K series, we are talking about 3-5 million k24a cars out there... maybe more or less.. not exactly sure on these numbers but I see these cars every day and so do you...

So, a stock k20a R and k20a2 makes more power than a stock b18c5. Most people agree with that statement. What about the k24a though? Wouldn't it be nice if a k24a could make the same or more power than a stock b18c5?

Fastbrakes owner has a k24a accord Civic EG that dynoed 160/160 with k pro. That is pretty much what we would expect a stock k24a to dyno with k pro. I hope anyway..

The accord and element heads will not directly accept a type s or type rintake manifold... The CRV will from what I understand. Another relativelly cheap mod would be the type s oil pump instead of the balance shafts.That should free up another 3-5 whp... not sure, but I am planning to find out.

So we have:

Stock k24a CRV
87 mm bore, 99 mm stroke,
9.6 compression ratio
with type s IM and TB
k20A2 oil pump
DTR-FAB k24a Header
Nice Intake and exhaust
Hondata K pro

I want to assume this setup will give 160 whp.. to be on the safe side...

Now, what would happen if someone had the time/skills to install TSX pistons?

A set of TSX pistons go for $160 for 4 of them, new from acura. A TSX motor with the tsx head has 10.6 compression. So a CRV motor with TSX pistons would not be 10.6 or 9.6.. It would have to be in between. Exactly how much I don;t know... but I am sure that would make power.. how much more power? Have no clue either.

I just want to hear what you think about this. I know stock rods are not that great and since you are going to be replacing pistons, you might as well do the rods too... but for the sake or arguement, to keep cost down.

What do you think a CRV k24a with TSX pistons would dyno at?

Yes, the type s head can always be installed later... Cams will help as well, probably more than the TSX pistons... Just thinking out loud.. There are 2-3 companies that are designing the k24a cams.... I know crower is one... Maybe IPS too if I am correct.

Any ideas? Feedback?

thanks in advance,

Nikos

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
what I would do is boost.

stronger rods, pistons and boost and kpro should be fun. :p
they are pretty cheap.. :confused:

or N20 then again who needs 300fts of torque at 3200rpm :wow:

they are reatively new motors so most people don't know much give it some time and will see :cool:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
a member on ephatch dynoed his crv k24 at

184 whp and like 175 tq

He only had bolt ons and kpro tuning i believe.

Ill see if i can get his info :up:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
This is the response i got from the guy

he dynoed at 184 whp and torque in the 170s. This was on a crv motor.

"
well to start it was a 2002 CRV with AEM CAI, Comptech A2 Shorty headers, "Exhaustdepot.com" 3in. A2 straight pipe, Greddy evo2 cat back, Arospeed grounding kit, ignition solutions upgraded coil packs for the A2, tuned Apexi VAFC2(leave the Vtec at stock setting), spec2 stage 3 clutch, fadanza flywheel, A3 tranny, and zex spark plugs for the NOS. I think that was all. hope it helps"

·
Registered
16 Posts
BUMP this from a 2 month death.

interested in the TSX pistons as well. with the intro of the Skunk2 cams, this has the traits of being a killer, relatively inexpensive combo.

how i see this shaking down on a CRV K24 longblock.....

TSX intake manifold (read a couple places, it has the goods for the low rev 2.4L)
Skunk2 stage 2 cams
Buddyclub valvesprings & Skunk2 retainers (inexpensive combo)
TSX pistons (10.?:1 C/R)
ARP rod bolts
Type S oil pump
4-1 header
2.5" exhaust
K-Pro (just to make it last, 6800 redline)

Nikos, whatcha think? idunno, sounds like a budget winner to me .:)

·
Registered
481 Posts
nikos said:
A TSX motor with the tsx head has 10.6 compression. So a CRV motor with TSX pistons would not be 10.6 or 9.6.. It would have to be in between. Exactly how much I don;t know... but I am sure that would make power.. how much more power? Have no clue either.
Why wouldn't the compression be 10.6:1 like the TSX? Isn't the combustion chamber the same size with all K24 engines?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Even though this thread is old, my setup is in my sig and the results i got with just an a/f tune in my rsx.

Josh

·
Registered
13 Posts
ardorx said:
Even though this thread is old, my setup is in my sig and the results i got with just an a/f tune in my rsx.

Josh
Yea, but that's in the 1/8th mile where it makes sense the engine with the low end torque would lead. But in the 1/4, the results would be much closer. Plus if you look at your trap speed, the K20A2 showed higher trapspeed... in a side by side race, the K20A2 is quickly drawing the K24A1 by the 1/8th mile and would probably pass it up before the 1/4 mile ends.

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah, that was a while back when I made that post.. there is nothing to that anymore .. We are now looking at 320whp all motor on pump gas on K series motors

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.