Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 2006 CRV 2.4l K24A1 engine that I plan to do a complete rebuild soon and put it back the CRV. It seems that the K20A2 oil pump, K20A2 chain, and K20A2 chain guide is a good upgrade to do. I will also order a new K24A1 oil tensioner for the rebuild.
Q 1. I plan to use the K24A1 oil pan and so do I also need the K20A2 baffle?
Q2: since the K24A1 block does not have oil squirters (I think) , do I need to do any additional mods?
Q3: bolts?
Q4 : Best place to buy the oil pump ? would this be something out of a 2003-06 Acura RSX-S oil pump? (I heard to avoid the 02 pump).

Thank you

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,148 Posts
welcome to k20a.org and thank you for registering.

It only costs $420 for a brand new crankshaft for the K24a1... that is just half that of a K24a2

the 2002 prb oil pump is the same as the 2003. to this day if you order one it will be the other. saying that avoiding a oil pump that was produced in 2002 is late in the game and hard to prove.

2002 prb Pump Assembly, Oil - Acura (15100-PRB-A01)

2003 prb Pump Assembly, Oil - Acura (15100-PRB-A01)

the link above says the k20a2 oil pump will bolt right to the K24a1.
i researched the k20a2 baffle and I am going to let someone else add to that.

2002 k20a2 oil pan/oil pump * Plate, Baffle - Acura (11221-PNC-000)

Plate, Baffle - Acura (11221-PNC-000)

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,140 Posts
I would be careful removing the oil pan as well , especially if it’s the first time coming off (very easy to dent and bend the mate surface)There are pry points but it isn’t the easiest job with the engine in the car. Cleaning the old silicone off is the most crucial step in getting it sealed back up.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,148 Posts

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,148 Posts
Steel is for real ! In swapped chassis I would say it’s a must. My car needs raised up but currently has 3.5” or so of air between the oil pan and the ground.
right on. I see where the steel oil pan would have advantages over the aluminum oil pan in clearance issues.

I believe the reason Honda created the aluminum oil pan because the design could be made stouter which offers more support to the bottom of the block and still be somewhat light. Not as light as the steel pan came out to be.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,140 Posts
right on. I see where the steel oil pan would have advantages over the aluminum oil pan in clearance issues.

I believe the reason Honda created the aluminum oil pan because the design could be made stouter which offers more support to the bottom of the block and still be somewhat light. Not as light as the steel pan came out to be.
I have also heard something about the aluminum pan keeping the oil cooler, but I’m not sure if that’s hot air or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What is the bolt size for plugging the oil plug on the K24A1 when swapping in the S type oil pump? Is it M8-1.25 x 1"???
I ordered and received the engine rebuild kit (bearings and gaskets, pistons, and new timing chain parts...so I guess I am moving forward. Not sure if I should hoist the front end of the car up and drop the engine from the bottom, or use my cherry picker to lift the engine from the top? (CR-V)?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts