Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to doing an engine swap. I’m a newbie. I bought a k24a from a auto tsx and I’m trying to swap in a 96 civic ek and want to use a 5 speed trans. I need help to identify the trans. the guy I bought from said it was from an rsx but I’m not to sure. Can someone help me. The trans code says ptd6.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design Alloy wheel
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface Grey

Attachments

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,406 Posts
Just to add this here to link for future searches: Nobody can figure this out, NOBODY! Confirms it to be a 05-06 RSX base gearbox (= 5spd) and describes some characteristics of it.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,406 Posts
...and hated it the minute I gest drove it. Get a six speed
Why did you hate it? The missing 6th gear, the lower vehicle speed step up when shifting upwards, or...?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You do not want that transmission in your swap... I swap my integra with that transmission and hated it the minute I gest drove it. Get a six speed
I have the 5spd ep3 gearbox in my k24 mr2, which is nearly identical with slightly diff final drive. Rebuilt the trans with carbon synchros and wavetrac lsd. The trans is great and geared well. While I would have liked a 6spd I couldn’t justify the added tax these days. To me it was better to spend the money on aftermarket lsd. Anyways, I think he will be happy with this box.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why did you hate it? The missing 6th gear, the lower vehicle speed step up when shifting upwards, or...?
To be more specific I just hate the gear spacing I feel like 2nd and 3rd are way too far apart. Feels like driving a six speed but skipping 3rd gear everytime. And no lsd and taller final drive kill your accelaration.. unless you have the torque to push the 4.3 trans then you'd be better off with the 6 speed. this is my opinion after driving both. I like the idea of being able to use the 12-15 civic si 6 speed with the hasport mount kit

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the 5spd ep3 gearbox in my k24 mr2, which is nearly identical with slightly diff final drive. Rebuilt the trans with carbon synchros and wavetrac lsd. The trans is great and geared well. While I would have liked a 6spd I couldn’t justify the added tax these days. To me it was better to spend the money on aftermarket lsd. Anyways, I think he will be happy with this box.
Yea the ep3 5 speed has better acceleration with the 4.7, unlike the 4.3 rsx 5 speed

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,406 Posts
To be more specific I just hate the gear spacing I feel like 2nd and 3rd are way too far apart. Feels like driving a six speed but skipping 3rd gear everytime. And no lsd and taller final drive kill your accelaration..
Thanks for your feedback, I totally understood it now. The NA engine setups need a bit support from the FD to accelerate the car weight right. A boosted setup is much more tolerant if there is a minimum acceleration feeling expected. Got your point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts