Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres what im thinking. For cost reasons, I would like to install a K24 from an accord ($750) in my Si then down the road swapping the K20a2 head onto it (piece it together). Im wondering if K20EG's wiring harness will work for this? Also header? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
That is a good question. I am sure you can do it. Brian G predicted that this will be the ls swap of the future.

·
Registered
599 Posts
92si said:
Ok, heres what im thinking. For cost reasons, I would like to install a K24 from an accord ($750) in my Si then down the road swapping the K20a2 head onto it (piece it together). Im wondering if K20EG's wiring harness will work for this? Also header? What do you guys think?
There are approximately 400,000 cars in the US with K24s in them. This will be the swap that will make the K swaps mainstream. There will be well over a million K powered cars from Honda on the road within the next two years. Their sheer numbers will insure that the engine will remain reasonable in cost. I predict that in the next 6 months or so, someone will come out with K24 cams that will allow the engine to make 200hp without doing a head swap.

It's also a better engine for boost. They come with a very strong crank and lower compression than the K20s. But the big reason is the 2.4 liters of displacement. I would venture to say that with the correct aftermarket designed cams and a JR supercharger with K-pro you could get 300 hp from an otherwise stock K24A1. And it would have 200 ft/lbs of torque too.

brian g

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats why I want one. The extensive amount of parts that are going to be available for this car is amazing. What I guess Im wondering is, what are the wiring diferences between a stock k24 and a stock k20? Because even a k24 will still make awesome power. From some of the dyno graphs that Ive seen the k24 may even make more power.

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Ok let's lets think about this...

The cheapest way to go about this would be to get a

k24a longblock $1000
ep3 5sp tranny $800
ecu $300
harness $300
mount kit $600
axles $depends
shift cables $depends
shifter box $depends

Basically, will a harness that has been modified to work with a k20a type-r in a EG, work for such a setup?

·
Registered
599 Posts
nikos said:
Basically, will a harness that has been modified to work with a k20a type-r in a EG, work for such a setup?
The K24 harness on the Accord engine disconnects at the firewall, so that one won't work. I haven't had a chance to check the one from the CRV or Element yet. The pictures from the parts catalog are inconclusive. I have one coming on a CRV engine, but I don't know when it will be here.

Until I or someone else figures it out, you will need a Civic Si or RSX engine harness. That harness will need to be modified slightly to fit the K24. You will also need a modified battery harness to reach the fuse box and battery. Then you can use the Hasport conversion harness to make the rest of the connections.

brian g

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why use the 5 spd, I would go with the 6 for the lower(numerically) final. With the extra torque available in the k24, a 4.7 final is not necessary.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Brian. If I use a CRV engine with 5/6 speed transmission. Would I get a ECU from an RSX or a CRV? If I get an RSX ECU and send it to hondata for Kpro upgrade, can I use it for a K24? Are the base maps available? Im still learning about this so thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
599 Posts
92si said:
Hey Brian. If I use a CRV engine with 5/6 speed transmission. Would I get a ECU from an RSX or a CRV? If I get an RSX ECU and send it to hondata for Kpro upgrade, can I use it for a K24? Are the base maps available?
If you're doing a K-pro;
CRV, RSX, or Si ECU for 5 speeds
Type S/R ECU for 6 speeds

Any will actually work for 5 or 6 speed, but only the RSX Type S/R controls the reverse lock out which 6 speed users will want.

brian g

·
Registered
11 Posts
Couple of questions

I have a '03 CRV with K20a engine and would like to do the k24 / k20a2 head swap with possibility of boosting w/ turbo later on.

My questions are:
1) Which stock ECU should I use as a base to reflash? i.e. one from the k24 CRV or K20a2? Or is a Hondata K-Pro the only sane option?

2) Will I need to convert from auto trans to Manual for the conversion since Hondata ECU doesn't seem to support auto trans.

3) What non-USDM Honda model does the K20a2 engine reside in (i.e. other than the US based Integra RSX- Type S.) since I live in Asia it's probably easier to source engines from here.

Thanks
Peter

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Re: Couple of questions

singlefin said:
I have a '03 CRV with K20a engine and would like to do the k24 / k20a2 head swap with possibility of boosting w/ turbo later on.

My questions are:
1) Which stock ECU should I use as a base to reflash? i.e. one from the k24 CRV or K20a2? Or is a Hondata K-Pro the only sane option?

2) Will I need to convert from auto trans to Manual for the conversion since Hondata ECU doesn't seem to support auto trans.

3) What non-USDM Honda model does the K20a2 engine reside in (i.e. other than the US based Integra RSX- Type S.) since I live in Asia it's probably easier to source engines from here.

Thanks
Peter
All the Euro/UK Civic type-r have the k20a2.

Email Brenson Koh
Email Address [email protected]
Location Singapore

He has one for sale :)

Hey, we need to see this one :) Post some pics!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
So the k24 will fit into an eg without any hood issues.Which k24 will be the best to get accord,crv,element.Could you pass smog in california with this swap.

·
Registered
599 Posts
racerus said:
So the k24 will fit into an eg without any hood issues.Which k24 will be the best to get accord,crv,element.Could you pass smog in california with this swap.
You have to remove hood under-structure for clearance. The CRV which is a light truck probably won't pass smog transplanted into a passenger car. Talk to your local ref and see what he is going to be looking for to allow you to pass emissions. It may require a bunch of stuff that doesn't come on the EG.

brian g

1 - 16 of 16 Posts