Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the car a few years, it started as a factory built car by CMC (Champion Motor Cars) out of Birmingham Alabama. It was basically a very well built car using a very low mileage 2002 Miata running gear, like 5K miles. It uses the Miata steering and uprights and a 8 bolt Toyota A86 rear axle. The basic car was very well built but the owner had made some cheaper decisions on some areas. But I wanted a built car as it's a lot more work than people think to build a car from scratch, that is why you get a lot of abandoned projects, it also removed the registration hassles. I have upgraded the brakes and front suspension, new race pedal box, roll bar, and MK1 RX7 LSD rear axle. So now it is the last part of the plan to add more power via a K24A2 and the conversion kit from K-Miata. I am very impressed with the K-Miata parts, everything is very thought out and manufactured, it's all bolted together very well. I just have a couple of areas to complete, the wiring and the exhaust. The car still had the full Miata wiring harness in it, so this was a good opportunity to swap it out with a very minimal Hot-Rod 5 circuit setup, but wiring a car from nothing is more complex that I expected, maybe not complex, but overwhelming. But by working on a section at a time I am making progress. The power and engine harness are installed, and they are linked up to the new car harness. I have power the car up but I had a fuel leak from the surge valve on the S2000 fuel rail, I have replaced that with a bolt. The started turns so with a little luck I will be trying to start it this week. I have ordered the Stainless Steel to to get the pointing in the correct direction, so that is the last real engineering that needs to be done.

Here is the progress so far

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16975&sid=1d07b884f9cce789358690a39a26349f

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Graham,
Excited to see your post. I have an MNR kit, which has lost its whole k20a2 and Ford gearbox and the difficult adapter bits in between. It all got caught up in an asbestos-contaminated fireball when the building around it burned to the ground. It's a long, negative story and a legal mess. So, I'm on the hunt for replacement bits with the hope of receiving financial compensation.
Following your lead, I might find a replacement K engine, but use a Miata gearbox, instead, as trying to duplicate the original setup is a mess over here, in Holland.
Let me ask, how does the Miata shifter end up relative to your driving position?
Anyway, good luck with your car. You might be hearing from me for questions...
Take care,
Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you using a Miata trans go for the 6 speed Mazdaspeed trans they are supposed to be stronger. I used the 5 speed because that is what was originally in the car, but I don't think lightweight cars are hard on transmissions. The shifter is in the perfect location it has never been an issue I have even thought about.

Good luck with the MNR, I looked at there kit, but it was to expensive by the time it got shipped to the USA.

Graham

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts