Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

K24 MR2 Swap

25K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  20v_lover 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, new to the site & new to Honda's in general. Got a KSwap in the works for my 93 MR2 Turbo and I could use some guidance as this is the first Honda motor I have ever dove into.

I picked up a K24A4 (or at least, it *looks* like one, I was told it was from an 03-07 JDM Accord) and I got a good deal on a a KPro V4 with a 02-04 RSX-S PRB ECU. From my readings on here it looks like the safest route to take, harness wise, is to pick up a matching engine and charge harness from the 02-04 RSX-S...would that be correct?

I plan on getting the car running in NA format first and then dealing with the turbo stuff later. I attached some pictures as it was delivered yesterday, maybe someone can further identify this for me.

Thanks all! I hope to post my progress in the coming months :)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
...From my readings on here it looks like the safest route to take, harness wise, is to pick up a matching engine and charge harness from the 02-04 RSX-S...would that be correct?...
Welcome MK2MR2 to K20a.org, the best info source for your project :). Correct! Harness and ECU are better from one engine type, sensor stuff is more easy to adapte for most guys if needed.

I am not sure if the K24A4 is also used in the 03-07 JDM Accord. Japanese guys have a perfect fuel and therefore most engines has an higher compression...was there a low power version in that Honda model too? Anyway, I am looking forward to see more of it!

Markus

#4 · (Edited)
Had some time so I took the motor apart, gave it an overall inspection. It looks really healthy to me. From the paperwork I received with the motor, it has just a tad over 47k on the clock and it sure looks like it. Since I'm going to be running the motor NA at first, I'm thinking of leaving the existing timing components on for now and then getting new ones when it comes out for turbo stuff.

Opinions? There is no slack in the chain, timing is dead on and I see no issues with it...do Honda chains/timing components need to be changed often or can they run to 100k or so?

Snapped a few pictures as well.

Attachments

#5 ·
...Opinions? There is no slack in the chain, timing is dead on, I see no issues with it...do Honda chains/timing components need to be changed often or can they run to 100k or so?...
Please do a picture of the Timing gear wheels in reference position (overlaying or straight lining marks at the wheels, don't know better words to make it clear).

100 kmiles is definitely a threshold for maintenance because of chain lengthening. At least the time to check if it is lengthened.

Markus

#11 ·
Man I'm going with this exact same build right now. I have identical plans for my car 93 turbo but I'm using a k24a2. So far I have the car, engine, harness, and ECU and I'll be hitting up Hux racing for the mounts/trans adapter and harness merge. I'd love to pick your brain on this swap. Got everything running?

#13 ·
Does anyone know what intake manifolds fit on a 2002 K24 swap MR2 Spyder? So I did a k20 type r swap. It was pretty fun to dive. Was using NT01 tires good traction. So I pulled that motor and dropped the k24a2 in. And now 1st and 2nd lose traction. The torque is real. Feels like I'm driving a v8 lol. Anyways I just have intake exhaust and header, DC cams springs retainers with a tune. Just wondering what intake manifolds fit? I was thinking about going with the skunk 2 ultra. Since I plan on using turbo 6870 900hp goal. I also have 1000hp custom axles from DSS. Only thing left is bottom end, turbo kit fuel system and transmission basically. All my stock gauges work. Using a AEM infinity 508 ecu. Going to run at the track in a few months when it cools off.

#14 ·
Does anyone know what intake manifolds fit on a 2002 K24 swap MR2 Spyder?
This is a pretty tight enginebay, I would start with the PRB or PRC intake manifold.

Using a AEM infinity 508 ecu.
The AEMTuner software is a challenge to use for tune, beside it's flexibility and performance (200 MHz chip!). Main obstacles are unclear units of channels (= double arrays), the optimal iVTEC control and small 10x10 VTC map. Do you tune it yourself or do you have an AEM Infinity experienced tuner?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.