Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Currently I am swapping a k24/k20 frankenstein engine into my track ep3 type r. Previously the engine was used for a drag eg. The setup of the engine of the drag eg was:
  • K24A3 bottom end with stock crank piston/rods
  • K20A2 Oil Pump conversion
  • K20A2 Sump and windage tray
  • K20A2 Head
  • SUPERTECH ValveTrain Springs/Retainers/Seats etc.
  • DRAG CARTEL 4.0 Cams
  • K24 20degree VTC
  • SSR Hood Exit Header
  • SKUNK2 CenterFeed Race Intake Manifold
  • SKUNK2 2L Spacer
  • K-TUNED 90mm Billet Throttle Body
  • 4"Aluminum Intake piping
  • PRAYOONTO Carbon Velocity Stack
  • -e85
  • Redline at 8500 rpm
Rectangle Slope Font Audio equipment Screenshot

This was tuned by Andy from sneaky tuning in the Netherlands, he will als tune my car.
For my ep3 i am going for the following setup:
  • K20A2 Head
  • RBC intake opened up to 80mm
  • Ktuned 80mm throttle body
  • straight 3.5 inch intake pipe with velocity stack
  • skunk2 alpha header
  • 3 inch catback
  • Redline 8500rpm
  • Pump gas
What would be my best option for cams? Is it okay to keep the drag cartel 4.0 cams with 20 degrees VTC or should i go for a different type of cams and VTC gear. If so, what type of cams and VTC would you guys sugest? And other setup advice is always welcome :)

Thank you in advance
Jarno Speelman

·
Registered
841 Posts
with a stock k24 bottom end and 8500 rpm rev limit you won't enjoy this motor very long outside of a drag strip with there seconds long busts of high rpm.
With cast pistons, stick to 7500 rpm limit if you want them to survive more than a few hours on a circuit track.
If you go forged, Mahle make a very nice piston from a 4032 alloy, you might get away with 8k limit, but no higher. Nice benefit would be a decent bump in compression ratio for more top end power and deeper valve pockets for more cam advance and with it more mid range torque. For the Mahle forging, the intake valve pocket can be further deepened by 1mm. This was confirmed by Mahle in Germany. The machine shop (in Germany) send the piston (made by Mahle motorsport is in the USA) to Mahle Germany for confirmation.
In my k20, I manage to get the full 50° VTC with Toda A3 cams thanks to the deeper valve pockets.
Besides that pronounced dip at the low to high cam transition, it looks like a decent set-up.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,342 Posts
Hello,

Currently I am swapping a k24/k20 frankenstein engine into my track ep3 type r. Previously the engine was used for a drag eg. The setup of the engine of the drag eg was:
  • K20A2 Head
  • DRAG CARTEL 4.0 Cams
  • K24 20degree VTC
  • SSR Hood Exit Header
  • SKUNK2 CenterFeed Race Intake Manifold
  • SKUNK2 2L Spacer
  • K-TUNED 90mm Billet Throttle Body
  • 4"Aluminum Intake piping
  • PRAYOONTO Carbon Velocity Stack
  • -e85
  • Redline at 8500 rpm
View attachment 106980

This was tuned by Andy from sneaky tuning in the Netherlands, he will als tune my car.
For my ep3 i am going for the following setup:
  • K20A2 Head
  • RBC intake opened up to 80mm
  • Ktuned 80mm throttle body
  • straight 3.5 inch intake pipe with velocity stack
  • skunk2 alpha header
  • 3 inch catback
  • Redline 8500rpm
  • Pump gas
What would be my best option for cams? Is it okay to keep the drag cartel 4.0 cams with 20 degrees VTC or should i go for a different type of cams and VTC gear. If so, what type of cams and VTC would you guys sugest? And other setup advice is always welcome :)

Thank you in advance
Jarno Speelman
The cartel 4 are usually used with 12.5:1 CR or higher. If you are just using the engine for drag race then I would be after the most peak power and send it with those looking at your buddies results…but on any other track type a milder cam profile and more vtc angle will benefit your midrange and corner exit ability. A friends engine used 13.5 pistons with the dc 4 cams (full RBB/3 engine max vtc 35 )and still had that dip before vtec until they raised it to 6k , even tried as high as 6800rpm engagement during tuning.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,355 Posts
I know boring the RBC IM to 80mm for a throttle body has been done countless times. It seems that boring the throttle body opening that large would change the function of the plenum and would prevent proper pressurizing of the plenum in fact change the overall performance & function of the oem intake manifold. Opting for a different intake manifold that would accept a 80mm TB and is designed to run a larger throttle body without changing the dynamic function of the plenum.

With those cams, higher compression pistons, and a header designed for the build will net the best gains and performance of the engine. In most cases with modifications to an oem intake manifold, the oem part shows it's limitations quickly and I am a firm believer that huge TB's reduce the performance of the oem intake manifold. The oem intake manifold is supposed to have a bottle neck shape leading up to the throttle body. Of course you will not run into a problem making it run, I believe you will do better with a different intake manifold not designed for a 2.0L.

·
Registered
14 Posts
4.0 ain't gonna work on track with the stock bottom and overal reliable track rpms. But why not ask your tuner what cams he suggests, and whats your hp goal. Redline 8500 on stock bottom on track is asking for problems tbh.

Ps: Ik gebruik 3.2 on track maar zelfs die zijn bijna te gek voor stock compressie imo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts