Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Porsche 944 Turbo
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm a new member here but learning all about the K-series engines and starting to plan a swap project. I want to put a K20/K24 in my 1986 Porsche 944. There is a small community of people working on exactly this swap. To my knowledge none are running yet but they have confirmed the engine will physically fit.

The 944 has a front engine & rear transaxle with a torque tube connecting them. The clutch is in the front on the engine like usual with a bellhousing connected to the torque tube.

My question right now is how best to handle the bellhousing / clutch. There are two approaches I've seen used so far:
1) Use the Porsche bellhousing and throwout bearing with an adapter plate for the K-engine. I'm not certain what clutch is used but probably Porsche ($$).
2) Cut the bellhousing off a Honda manual transmission, weld an adapter to fit to the Porsche torque tube. Use Honda clutch (with modified disk splines).

It would be nice to use a Honda clutch but I'll need a transmission core which might erode any savings. Overall I want to save costs as much as possible without ridiculous custom fabrication.

Other options I've considered are building a custom bellhousing from scratch (more fab then I'd like) or maybe there is another transmission or adapter option I don't know of. That's where I was hoping this community might help. Please share any ideas or comments you have. This is going to be a long term project so I'll appreciate any advice offered.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,334 Posts
welcome to K20a.org and thank you for registering.

I like the swap idea because I grew up with that chassis flying around in the 80's and 90's.

To save money on a build you have to nail the planning from the start til end and do exactly what you set out to do without changing. That will not happen lets face that. In you build you can take advantage of air entry and exhaust out just by design if you go NA. The intake manifold's throttle body entry will be facing the front bumper without the intake piping needing much bend, I would take advantage of the intake design option.

Everyone is having to use some sort of bellshousing adapter. There maybe a thread here on this site have your searched?

·
Registered
1986 Porsche 944 Turbo
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right that I'll probably make changes as I go but I'm doing my best now to make a solid plan first. I did search a lot before posting but haven't been successful finding a solid answer on mating the K20/24 with the 944. I know of 2 people who have shared details on their ongoing 944 / K-swap projects. One cut up a Honda MT to reuse the bellhousing; the other used an adapter with the Porsche bellhousing. It isn't clear which is better though I suspect the adapter+Porsche bellhousing is simpler if it will work. I'm pretty sure I'll have to machine or fabricate my own adapters either way.

It's relatively common is to put an LS V8 into these cars. That typically involves a modified C5 Corvette bellhousing and LS clutch with custom disk. The less common swap is an Audi I5 swap and the main kit vendor includes a bellhousing in the kit. So for whatever reason both options use different bellhousings...

My main question is are there other options I'm not aware of? Maybe another vehicles bellhousing that fits the K-series and could be more easily modified?

I'm also not decided on the K20 NA or K24 turbo, but I'm leaning towards the turbo K24. I'd like to make ~275-300hp with potential to go for more later. What makes the most sense?

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a Facebook group called Porsche K swap here is one of the cars, it’s a 968 last version of 924/944 cars.

I will comment when I get home and try and answer your original post questions. To help.
-JULKA

·
Registered
2 Posts
“My question right now is how best to handle the bellhousing / clutch. There are two approaches I've seen used so far:
1) Use the Porsche bellhousing and throwout bearing with an adapter plate for the K-engine. I'm not certain what clutch is used but probably Porsche ($$). “

Answer 1: This works and can be made to work with either a Porsche disk/flywheel or Honda disk and flywheel. Through out bearing can use stock or clutch masters. Also they have a clutch and flywheel set up available for some coin.

“2) Cut the bellhousing off a Honda manual transmission, weld an adapter to fit to the Porsche torque tube. Use Honda clutch (with modified disk splines).”

Answer 2: this in theory would work and is not proven as of yet.

“Other options I've considered are building a custom bellhousing from scratch (more fab then I'd like) or maybe there is another transmission or adapter option I don't know of. That's where I was hoping this community might help. Please share any ideas or comments you have. This is going to be a long term project so I'll appreciate any advice offered.”

“My main question is are there other options I'm not aware of? Maybe another vehicles bellhousing that fits the K-series and could be more easily modified?”

Answer 3: custom bell housing would be slot of coin. Also hard to replicate. There is one option you could possible use a 924/924 turbo (931) bell housing they used a Audi bolt pattern and use a existing adapter plate/ clutch set up for Audi trans to k swap. You’d just have to figure out what would work. Also not many clutch options. Also hard to replicate.

“I'm pretty sure I'll have to machine or fabricate my own adapters either way.”

answer 4: I have a prototype currently. See photo.

issue you’ll need to sort:
-Oil pan doesn’t fit
-motor mounts
-crossmember doesn’t work with oil pain
-k24 you may have to cut hood.
-you’ll have to figure out what trans will hold your power and tq goals, 944 transmission have weak ring and pinions. (May can use Audi 01e)

I’m sure there is more.

look out for us on Facebook
Also I have a kit in the works but it will take a lot of time.

Bicycle part Font Auto part Composite material Metal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts