Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on this site but only just yesterday joined so this is my first post!

First just let me say I’ve been very impressed with the level of information on the site and it has helped me through my swap. K24 into EK hatch, ITR trans, KPro… As of this week the swap is complete, engine runs great however I’ve run into a problem with my cluster and I have not found anything like it discussed on here yet.

My tachometer and speedometer do not work, neither does my battery charge status light (its always off even when the engine is not running)… seems like nearly every other part works though, fuel gauge, turn signals, oil pressure light, CEL… When I plug in my laptop to the KPro I can see RPM and speed are working but somehow the signal is just not making it to the dash… in addition my alternator is not charging the battery, I’m feeling like this is all related but I’m just not sure how.

I’ve tried replacing the alternator that didn’t help, I’m using a RSX-S engine harness with the Hasport EKWK-1 converter harness so I’m pretty confident all the connector pinouts are correct. I’ve checked fuses as well.
Based on my reading it seems everyone just plugs in their new engine and the dash all comes to life… so it makes me feel like I just missed something that would be very obvious to everyone on here, so please start with the simple stuff, this is my first swap of any kind so I have no idea what kind of really dumb obvious thing I may have missed! Lol

Thanks in advance guys!

·
P.M.W./A.W.S.
21,524 Posts
for one

make sure you do not have any loose wires on the speed sensor connector. My speedo didnt work due to this and the fact that it was repinned wrong.

once you check that, clean the connecter itself and the connection end of the speedo. if that doesnt work, your speedo is shot. time to replace.

·
Registered
4,294,967,295 Posts
Probably a problem with the wiring.

The EK dash wiring is a little different for each trim model, and year. Make sure you have the correct swap harness for your chassis.

If the chassis had a motor swap in the past, and the wiring was changed, that is probably your issue if you have the correct swap harness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its a 97 so I got the 96-98 converter harness, I hadn't thought of the car wiring being modified in the past, I do not know the car's history, it's a CX and does have a tachometer so someone may have done a dash swap? would that have any affect?

I guess its time to go through them all pin by pin..

·
Registered
4,294,967,295 Posts
Yeah, I bet that is the problem. Get the pin-outs from the vendor you purchased the swap harness from, they should have the OEM wiring for your chassis. You can check the K20 engine and ecu wiring in the wiring section of the DI|FAQ link in my signature block :up:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well so far I've discovered that the Hasport harness had the tach signal in the wrong pin... got that working, still investigating pinouts for alternator control circuit... Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solution to alternator problem!

TSX charge harness is not wired exactly the same as one for an RSX... made a mistake in my wiring when converting it... specifically the 4 wires for alternator control and the knock sensor, turns out when you match the colors up correctly it all works fine :facepalm:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solution to alternator problem!

TSX charge harness is not wired exactly the same as one for an RSX... made a mistake in my wiring when converting it... specifically the 4 wires for alternator control and the knock sensor, turns out when you match the colors up correctly it all works fine 🤦
I know this is old but can you explain how you wired it? I put a tsx alt on my rsx and have a charge light on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts