Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

K24 Coolant Routing

9K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  dblotii 
#1 ·
I swapped a K24 into an MGB and I don't think that coolant is flowing through the motor. I want to double check that I have everything that is needed for the coolant system. The bottom hose goes to the thermostat, the top hose runs to the back of the head, and them a hose from the thermostat housing to the head by the intake manifold. Due to a lack of space I ran the hoses over the top of the water pump housing and have bleeders installed there to help get rid of any air. I'm running a K-tuned thermostat neck with a filler on the back of the head and a rotatable thermostat housing to make it all work.
Auto part Vehicle Car Engine
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Fuel line

See less See more
#7 ·
I swapped a K24 into an MGB and I don't think that coolant is flowing through the motor. I want to double check that I have everything that is needed for the coolant system. The bottom hose goes to the thermostat, the top hose runs to the back of the head, and them a hose from the thermostat housing to the head by the intake manifold. Due to a lack of space I ran the hoses over the top of the water pump housing and have bleeders installed there to help get rid of any air. I'm running a K-tuned thermostat neck with a filler on the back of the head and a rotatable thermostat housing to make it all work.
View attachment 101449 View attachment 101450
you should be aware that the K-tuned thermostat is a single-poppet type and the factory stat is a double poppet. That means that the internal bypass circuit is not controlled by the stat. the large hose at the stat is an inlet (suction)

#8 ·
Get the RSX shop manual to understand the proper hookups of the main and bypass circuits. A cooling system needs to have 2 circuits plumbed properly. One circuit is the radiator circuit that only flows when the main poppet on the thermostat is open. The other really important circuit is the bypass circuit which is essential for getting flow over the temperature sensing part of the thermostat. In modern cars the bypass circuit includes the heater core which always flow coolant; even when you don't need heat. In the Acura, the bypass circuit also includes the "hot-bottle" which is there to continually de-aerate the cooling system.
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.