Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been working on my Honda since the first day i bought it in 2001. Ignorant HS kid. I put a intake, race header and exhaust on my 1.7 liter Automatic. First 1/4 mile run was a 17.5.

So i grew up and in early 2004 i put in one of the first k24 franks(k20a2 head/k24a1 block) with 232hp/179tq. Got caught by the cops in 2006 with a engine swap, so I had to get it checked out by the State Referee to drive it again. Swamped a k20a3 engine and got my car referred. while the k24 was out, it was decided to get it built at Hytech.

2 years later my engine was ready.
Benson sleeved block 87mm
Carillo turbo rods
Weisco Pistons 10:1
Endyne 5 angle headjob
Supertech springs
Supertech inconel valves
TSX Cams
25 degree intake cam
Hytech modified k20a2 oil pump
Hytech Oil pan baffel
Spuntech lower chain gaurd
k20a2 Oil cooler
RBC Manifold bored to 70mm
BDL TB 70mm
AEM CAI
Custom 4-1 Race Header
Kpro
Custom DUAL spring timing chain tensioner
BDL fuel rail

Transmission
TSX 1-6 with a 4.4 finial (rsx case) quaife LSD
backup K20a3 5speed with a 4.4 finial

Suspension
Si EPS
Megan RSX race dampers
RSX S 5 Lug
Stoptech slotted discs 11.8in
CRV/RDX dual piston front calipers
EBC Pads
Spoon front Strutbar
Cusco rear Strutbar
Progress F&R swaybars

17x9 +45 RPF1's in front (have some crap tires for the moment, probably run 265 or 275)
17x8.5 +40 RPF1's in the rear w/Kumho XS 245/40 tires

Ever since i got my engine back, I have had various problems. Broke 3 transmissions, Twindisc clutch broke a transmission. Broke a timing chain tensioner. 10+tickets.

I have to install

Rotrex C38-91 Supercharger
Synapse BOV
DeatschWerks 1300cc injectors
DeatschWerks 300lhp fuel pump
Quick disconnect for OEM fuel tank
New AEM intake filter
Jaydee's Rotrex mount kit
NGK9 spark plugs
RDX Map sensor 2.5bar

Need
custom inter cooler
Custom pipes
modify current Koyo Radiator
-6 fuel line
fuel fittings
TUNE!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Good stuff here I'm going Rotrex too. So I'm going to be keep up with your progress.

I'm almost done with my Rotrex k24 just got left to install the belt and oil cooler. I gotta start a thread but I'm so short time between work and fabricating everything myself.

Keep updating I'll read this thread from my cell at work.:like:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
you guys realize this thread is 10months old and the op never updated it right? lol
Lol I read it from my cell so I didn't noticed it on the little screen

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol, yea, i didn't do anything since then. Baby mama left for 8 months to Mexico and i had my kids by my self also i had a oil leak and couldn't find it, so i just installed a Skunk2 TC cover and k24 pulley. K24 pulley for 2 reasons, i can hit my max RPM on the rotrex at 8500rpm and the ATI was hitting the TCT cover. I'll post pics within the next 2 days.

Also upgraded from 17x8 5zegin to 17x9 rpf1's and better fuel system.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Made some progress. Here are some parts and some pictures of them installed. I opted for a OEM look for the fuel tank. OEM connection to the fuel tank(3/8ths to -6AN) -6AN hose to the front of the car with quick disconnects that seal when disconnected. I also drove down to innovative mounts and picked up some new 85A mounts.

Only thing I am waiting for is a k24 (r-40) pulley, because my ATI Crank pulley doesn't fit with the skunk2 cover.

Parts
Deatschwerks DW300 Fuel Pumps
Skunk2 2 Timing chain cover
P2R passanger k24 mount bracket
Hybrid Racing oil and radiator hoses
ProFlow 3/8ths fuel fitting to -6AN
-6AN fuel hose Braided
Innovative EM2 85A mounts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Some old pictures of my Carillo Rods, Weisco Pistons and Endyne [email protected] head with a 5 angle Valve job and O-Ringed

Attachments

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
I suggest you swap out your cams to something like K20Z1 to K20Z3 ones with the 50deg pulley. You will need 50deg advance from 3000 to 6000 with the Rotrex or you will miss out potential midrange .

Maybe fit a wastegate so you can run boost by gear as well as progressively increase your power so your driving can adjust. I am not being smart, its just your power will be more than 2x.:)

Also what is your exhaust size?

From my experience your 1300cc injectors will be marginal unless you run high fuel pressures and/or add water/methanol injection so keep an eye on this. I needed to run 2x 044 pumps as well as the in tank pump at this power level.

Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suggest you swap out your cams to something like K20Z1 to K20Z3 ones with the 50deg pulley. You will need 50deg advance from 3000 to 6000 with the Rotrex or you will miss out potential midrange .

Maybe fit a wastegate so you can run boost by gear as well as progressively increase your power so your driving can adjust. I am not being smart, its just your power will be more than 2x.:)

Also what is your exhaust size?

From my experience your 1300cc injectors will be marginal unless you run high fuel pressures and/or add water/methanol injection so keep an eye on this. I needed to run 2x 044 pumps as well as the in tank pump at this power level.

Good luck with your build.
I want to get some good SC cams, but i am also looking at those cams as well. I have a 50 degree gear from my Type S cams.

I have been reading your threads and i am considering putting a wastegate on my setup. I am going to have a opening so i can easily put one in the future. My welder is going to get started on my intercooler and radiator thisweek.

My exhaust will be 3 inches from the headerback.

The fuel setup was made as simple as possible, it will be ran on high pressure, if that is not enough, i will use my stock line as a return and have another pump inline. But only as needed. I want to stay away from Meth, i want to run E85 as it becomes more avaliable.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
I want to get some good SC cams, but i am also looking at those cams as well. I have a 50 degree gear from my Type S cams.

I have been reading your threads and i am considering putting a wastegate on my setup. I am going to have a opening so i can easily put one in the future. My welder is going to get started on my intercooler and radiator thisweek.

My exhaust will be 3 inches from the headerback.

The fuel setup was made as simple as possible, it will be ran on high pressure, if that is not enough, i will use my stock line as a return and have another pump inline. But only as needed. I want to stay away from Meth, i want to run E85 as it becomes more avaliable.
Glad to hear you have followed my thread. Is I suggested run the stock type S cams. As I mentioned we will be completing the Jaydee Rotrex cam development next year. Although there are many cams on the market to my knowledge there is nothing that actually "works". I have had many emails from people who have tried existing products only to loose power! I did not wish to get into the politics of cams, hence I have left the subject alone in my thread.

Sounds like your build is ticking all the boxes except the gearbox. When it breaks use the GearX 6 speed ratio's and you will have a fantastic engine/drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It's looking good :) I like the progress you are making .

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to hear you have followed my thread. Is I suggested run the stock type S cams. As I mentioned we will be completing the Jaydee Rotrex cam development next year. Although there are many cams on the market to my knowledge there is nothing that actually "works". I have had many emails from people who have tried existing products only to loose power! I did not wish to get into the politics of cams, hence I have left the subject alone in my thread.

Sounds like your build is ticking all the boxes except the gearbox. When it breaks use the GearX 6 speed ratio's and you will have a fantastic engine/drivetrain.

Right now I am going to see what i can get with this set up. I have always been a firm believer of using as many stock parts as possible. I am looking to get a PPG or Gearspeed in the near future when my setup is done.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Right now I am going to see what i can get with this set up. I have always been a firm believer of using as many stock parts as possible. I am looking to get a PPG or Gearspeed in the near future when my setup is done.
I highly recommend Gearspeed. They are prompt, priced VERY well, and are extremely knowledgeable about our transmissions. They also sell PPG to boot!

I got my transmission back in BETTER than new shape. The case halves were so clean I was astonished!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I highly recommend Gearspeed. They are prompt, priced VERY well, and are extremely knowledgeable about our transmissions. They also sell PPG to boot!

I got my transmission back in BETTER than new shape. The case halves were so clean I was astonished!
lol, yea, they have a vibrating device with ball bearings, it does wonders..

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I installed the R-40 pulley today, i just need to clean the fenderwalls with my powerwasher. and put the car together, its going to the fabricator tonight for the intercooler and radiator.

I thought i would have to notch my Skunk2 TCT cover, but it fit with problems. i had to cut the inner lip.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=630936

Attachments

·
IMAKEBOOSTATIDLE
6,916 Posts
What do you plan on revving this thing to? What sc pulley? Don't you think you will overspin the charger?

1 - 20 of 158 Posts