Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've lurked here for a while, and am now getting ready to plan my build. I have a CRV K24A1 longblock in my basement that I'm going to be putting in a DC2 integra.

I'm planning on adding a head from an RSX type-s, and changing the rods and pistons to TSX (unless there is a higher CR OEM alternative). I'm trying to keep this somewhat a budget build for now, and will probably add cams etc. after the engine is in the car and running (but most likely not change out pistons/rods).

I'll also be changing the oil pump to an RSX type-s one, running no A/C or PS.

Is this a good way to go? Right now I'm torn between keeping it all motor or adding a supercharger and retain stock head/cams.

I'd like to eventually have a 300 WHP all motor engine, or a supercharged torque-monster. I'm not new to engine building, as I've done a ton of work on my b-series, but now this is a whole new game to me. Also, I'd like this to be a reliable engine, I won't be driving the car for more than weekends, but would like to hit the track and don't want to worry about running laps all out.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice from people who have a lot more experience with the k-series engines than me. My other thought would be to save up a little and go with the supertech 12.5:1 piston package.

What's a good RPM limit to have for track use, and what else should be done to the engine for reliability (ARP rod bolts?). What are a good cam to use with the 11:1 TSX pistons?

Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
if i were in ur shoes....

k24a1
Type-S oil pump
TSX rods
11.0:1 TSX Pistons
Balanced Crank
stock Head Gasket
stock Type-S Head
IPS KME Cams w/ aftermarket valvetrain
RBC, Good Header, 3in.

should be good for 250+

Good route.

Now do some research, many people have gotten good HP/TQ numbers with a bone stock k24a1 and a type-s head for an N/A route (210whp 175-180wtq). This setup seems to be able to rev to about 8,200k so far without a problem, I wouldnt pass 8k (unless you invest in some arp rod bolts).

This wouldnt be to bad, this way you keep a conservative compression and allow room for some boost. CRV blocks have the 9:1 compression.

If you want to go the n/a route and get over 260whp there is going to be nothing cheap with the setup. If you look around and search you will get the answer to most your questions and you will realize everyone has different opinions, and many people take different routes to getting the ideal power of choice. Look up (search) dyno charts and stufy them a bit or look up build threads with similar setups you might be interested in.. Usually you get alot of answers to your questions and see what might be worth it or not...

The search icon is your bestfriend.. No homo.

·
Registered
228 Posts
With 11.0:1 TSX piston and K20 head you gonna get a comp ratio near 12.9:1 ...
but this is in consideration a k24a2 have the same combustion chambers design than the other K24, if someone can confirm feel free for it

and CRV have 9.6:1 comp...this one give 11.2:1 with a K20 head

·
Registered
228 Posts
hooo ok.... we are not so familiar with Ethanol in Canada.... the best with have its 94oct gas and this hard to find, so we must tune for 91 if we planning to make a lot of road

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh.. I didn't realize that the bores were different, that changes everything.

Is there a place that has all the info needed for calculating CR based on engine components? I had created a b-series excel spreadsheet to calculate CR based off of data I had on all b-series engine components (crank, rod, piston, head volume, HG thickness, etc.).

I'll have to do some serious research before I start buying anymore components. Does anyone know how much 10.5:1 CR TSX pistons/rods would yield with a RSX-S head?

Are all the combustion chamber volumes on the all the 2.0 ivtec blocks the same (RSX-S, TSX, Civic SI)?

·
Registered
228 Posts
TSX with k20 head should give something around 12.2

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
TSX with k20 head should give something around 12.2
I don't think thats true... The TSX and K20 heads have the same volume from what I understand... I thought the rest of the K24 heads did as well...

have you actually measured any of these heads, or are you just basing it off the different bore sizes?

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is the wiseco answer to me when I ask for 12.5 comp piston

The K20 head is make for 86mm bore size

·
Registered
37 Posts
im new to the site... but just reading about your build, and this is the same setup im have too or the same way im going too!! and your thread has help me alot!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I found that in another post...

Conbustion Chamber volume
K24 53.5cc
K20A/A2 50.7cc
K20A3 48.0cc - from JE
F20C 53.6cc +/- 0.2cc

·
Registered
256 Posts
I know the 2009 TSX engine has 11:1 CR, not sure if any other models do.
Not to get off topic, but if you buy the 2009 TSX piston kit it comes with wrist pin and clips. Can you use aftermarket rods with the 2009 pistons or do you have to run 2009 rods? Thought it shouldn't matter, just curious...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts