Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I currently have a 2006 Acura RSX Type-S with a K20Z3 swap. Currently running the original Z1 trans with open diff. RBC/I/RH/2.5” exhaust/KPRO/Mikey dyno tuned. Made 215whp on 93. I’m itching for more power and change things up a bit...

Have a buddy selling a JDM K24 3-lobe with type r cam, 50 VTC and PRB oil pump. Said it made 240whp. Low miles and healthy. His car was totaled and he’s now parting it out. Said he will throw in a Z7 LSD. Installed, $1850

-JDM K24 3-LOBE complete long block with type R cam, 50 VTC and PRB oil pump. Making 240whp $1000
- K24Z7 LSD $400

All said and done in a weekend, $1850 ($450 for labor)

OR....

Should I stick with the Z3 and do CAMS and VT? I’m thinking DC 2.2 or equivalent. Assuming I’m able to source a set AND valve train for around $1400. Quick search of the googles, Z3 with DC 2.2 I’ve seen around 250whp on e85. I want to stay 93 since the wife drives this car as well and I am not risking her throwing in 93 if it’s tuned on e85 (flex fuel would be nice but not in the budget)

I did find someone selling a CX complete kit with FMIC for $1500. That would be a fun 300whp but I’ve had a k24 turbo and although fun as hell, not worth the maintenance. More things to go wrong. Trying to keep her NA for the time being.

Thank you all for the input. Been awhile since I’ve posted so my bad if this runs on. All suggestions are appreciated

Alex-

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,258 Posts
The k24a with the oil pump and vtc swap probably makes 25+ tq over the z3 as well as more hp,but won’t rev as high. I’m assuming he made 240 on a 3” exhaust ? So keep in mind you may lose a few ponies on the 2.5. $1850 is a lot of money , but if your current engine is in good shape you should be able to get a thousand bucks at least for it. The 2.2 cams in the z3 sounds nice , but almost everyone who has a 2.0 ends up going to 2.4 when it breaks. Really it comes down to your preference. Have you driven a k24 ? The low and mid-range power is a lot of fun. Useable power in 4th gear @2500 rpm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KBUILT-

Thanks for the reply my man. Yes I had a k24a2 when my Z1 popped. But I did a HKS turbo kit at the same time so never got the feel for the NA power. I’m leaning toward the k24 tbh And yes you are more than likely right about losing a bit with the 2.5” exhaust. I figure in the future I can rebuild my Z3 head with nice stage 2’s and VT and slap it on the k24. Step it up to 3” at that point.

I’m really trying to avoid going boost! I love the NA capabilities and the reliability. Gas mileage. Etc. Because this is a true daily that I hit the country backroad twisties every few weekends. Wife drives the car to work 3-4 days a week.

Would you say this is all worth the $1850 ? Full k24 long block @ 240whp
and a factory z7 lsd installed into my stock Z1 trans?..

My bud said it’ll take him a weekend

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,258 Posts
KBUILT-

Thanks for the reply my man. Yes I had a k24a2 when my Z1 popped. But I did a HKS turbo kit at the same time so never got the feel for the NA power. I’m leaning toward the k24 tbh And yes you are more than likely right about losing a bit with the 2.5” exhaust. I figure in the future I can rebuild my Z3 head with nice stage 2’s and VT and slap it on the k24. Step it up to 3” at that point.

I’m really trying to avoid going boost! I love the NA capabilities and the reliability. Gas mileage. Etc. Because this is a true daily that I hit the country backroad twisties every few weekends. Wife drives the car to work 3-4 days a week.

Would you say this is all worth the $1850 ? Full k24 long block @ 240whp
and a factory z7 lsd installed into my stock Z1 trans?..

My bud said it’ll take him a weekend
Does the k24 come with an rbc on it already or are you reusing yours ? I only ask because that’s a couple hundred or more $ that could go back in your pocket. If the engine is healthy , comes with the tune, and your buddy knows what he’s doing meaning you don’t start with a good running k20 car and end up with a problem child k24 car... then I would say it’s worth the investment considering if you need some cash you have a good z3 long block on the side. I like the idea of building the RBC head and then doing 24/20
Later. Gojng from the z3 to the k24a along with getting an LSD installed will make it feel like a completely different car. 👍

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the input bud.
I’m going to lock in the motor. I’ll ask about the RBC. That’s what I’m hoping for! For the car to feel completely different. At least somewhat faster. And I’m most excited about the LSD. Will have to re-learn the car, to an extent. I’ll do my best to keep the thread updated.

Take it easy man

PS: sick video!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far, the research I’ve found is saying the PLM RH will work with the K24 in my Dc5 chassis. Since I will be swapping over my “cut” RBC, the only things I will need are a coolant bypass plate and a crv bracket. Plus fluids of course

I recently did an Exedy OEM replacement clutch. Around 5,000 miles on it. Should I reach-use? Replace with a NEW Exedy OEM ? Or go stage 1-2 Exedy?..

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,258 Posts
So far, the research I’ve found is saying the PLM RH will work with the K24 in my Dc5 chassis. Since I will be swapping over my “cut” RBC, the only things I will need are a coolant bypass plate and a crv bracket. Plus fluids of course

I recently did an Exedy OEM replacement clutch. Around 5,000 miles on it. Should I reach-use? Replace with a NEW Exedy OEM ? Or go stage 1-2 Exedy?..
If it’s that new it’s your choice. What car did the k24 come out of ? Should already have that bracket on it ? That’s good your header will work 👍

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The motor is coming out of a totaled fg2. My buddy is finding out if it had the CRV bracket. He did mention it might already have it.

For the clutch, I’m not quite sure what I’m going to do yet... I’ll start looking into some prices and see what they are going for

·
Registered
19 Posts
If done deal, congrats. I love my k24 for daily (mine's mated to ep3 5-speed with 8th gen LSD).
If not, I don't think it is worth $1800 to reswap/retune. It'll be a nicer DD for sure, measurably faster with the fat mid range, not $1800 better though.
You didn't mention mileage on your current engine, nor if it's having any issues (excessive oil consumption etc)

Rather run what you have until it blows, and replace/rebuild at that point. I suppose you can sell your running setup to recoup.
The well setup JDM k24 is kinda worth the money, but also kinda not worth the premium over a standard mill junkyard k24a2 (06-08) IMO at half the cost.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If done deal, congrats. I love my k24 for daily (mine's mated to ep3 5-speed with 8th gen LSD).
If not, I don't think it is worth $1800 to reswap/retune. It'll be a nicer DD for sure, measurably faster with the fat mid range, not $1800 better though.
You didn't mention mileage on your current engine, nor if it's having any issues (excessive oil consumption etc)

Rather run what you have until it blows, and replace/rebuild at that point. I suppose you can sell your running setup to recoup.
The well setup JDM k24 is kinda worth the money, but also kinda not worth the premium over a standard mill junkyard k24a2 (06-08) IMO at half the cost.
Thanks for the input bud. My Z3 is running like a champ. Just did an oil change and about 5 quarts came out. Around 3000 miles or so. Wife drives the car to work Monday to Thursday. I’d imagine she hits vtec a handful of times a week. And it usually sits on the weekends. We are in the market for a SUV for the fam. Still shopping around. At that point the RSX will become a weekend warrior.

We’ve had this car since brand new in 2006. It is completely fine as is. I just want a little more this season. Would love to do some more SCCA auto-x events and possibly 1 or 2 track days

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As for the clutch, to be safe I think I may replace with a stage one. Comp Clutch most likely. OR just replace the clutch disc on my Exedy OEM replacement. Still up in the air

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the input bud. My Z3 is running like a champ. Just did an oil change and about 5 quarts came out. Around 3000 miles or so. Wife drives the car to work Monday to Thursday. I’d imagine she hits vtec a handful of times a week. And it usually sits on the weekends. We are in the market for a SUV for the fam. Still shopping around. At that point the RSX will become a weekend warrior.

We’ve had this car since brand new in 2006. It is completely fine as is. I just want a little more this season. Would love to do some more SCCA auto-x events and possibly 1 or 2 track days
You're in the same boat as I am. If your local SCCA autox clubs are strict, strictly speaking, engine swaps move us into a completely (not so competitive unless you put a lot more into the chassis) different class.
Maybe if they don't care, and if you're not challenging for class wins, maybe no one will care (if you don't declare mods ahead of time for classing).

I fully endorse the k24 for that ep3/dc5 chassis, but due to your 6speed, you're going to be back and forth between 2 and 3rd gear for speeds 40-75mph (not super ideal). With autox (mainly) and track days as the end goal and shopping for a second vehicle, I would recommend sticking with what you have (if not already too late).

I run an OEM Type S clutch + 10.5lbs flywheel and it's a great daily. I think most agree that Exedy is also a fine/#1 replacement without forced induction/300whp mark.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're in the same boat as I am. If your local SCCA autox clubs are strict, strictly speaking, engine swaps move us into a completely (not so competitive unless you put a lot more into the chassis) different class.
Maybe if they don't care, and if you're not challenging for class wins, maybe no one will care (if you don't declare mods ahead of time for classing).

I fully endorse the k24 for that ep3/dc5 chassis, but due to your 6speed, you're going to be back and forth between 2 and 3rd gear for speeds 40-75mph (not super ideal). With autox (mainly) and track days as the end goal and shopping for a second vehicle, I would recommend sticking with what you have (if not already too late).

I run an OEM Type S clutch + 10.5lbs flywheel and it's a great daily. I think most agree that Exedy is also a fine/#1 replacement without forced induction/300whp mark.
In auto-x I was running with supercharged s2000’s and some very fast BRZ and Fiesta ST’s. No way I will be competitive. I do it for seat time mainly. And $60 is a lot cheaper than $300 for a track day.

Why must you speak so logically about going K24 ?! Haha Isn’t that how life works, there is always somewhere better to spend your $. At what point Do you finally treat yourself?! But I completely hear you. Getting that 3rd row suv is at the top of our to-do list. That LSD is a must. I’ll talk to my bud about just doing the LSD install for the time being.

Is $1000 too much for a properly set-up K24 ?...

I’ll literally be flipping a coin on this one

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I would have to pass on the lightweight flywheel. I did think about going that route but I’m trying to hold onto as much tq as possible. I’m going to do a replacement clutch at the time of the LSD install

Thanks again for the input my man. Appreciate it

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would have to pass on the lightweight flywheel. I did think about going that route but I’m trying to hold onto as much tq as possible. I’m going to do a replacement clutch at the time of the LSD install

Thanks again for the input my man. Appreciate it
Ah, if torque is the treat you desire, the k24 will do it. I'll defer to the k24 gurus on whether your existing head/k24a head works best.
I just don't see a lot of benefit with going full jdm k24a block when any junkyard k24 bottom end will get you 90+% of the way there with your goals.
But to your point, if he's going to do all the labor for the swap and tune it afterwards for $450, that's a screaming deal, and with that, welcome to the k24 club.
k24 is gonna be beautiful for autox.

Somewhere, someone is whispering to keep your setup and source a k24 bottom end, and a skunk 2 ultra street but the difference will probably not be as big as one hopes. The LSD is also a must do.. I come across videos regularly of kswapped vehicles spinning tires for 3-5seconds straight, I know nothing about that, straight hooking up on falken 510 (nowhere near the best) and even snow tires with minor pedalling back on the skinny pedal. Must do in my book.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts