Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well...

I've had a k20a2 swap into my dc2 originally that made 214 after a good tune,
then upgraded to a complete k20z1 swap that felt a lot quicker than my tuned k20a2 swap

i blew up my z1 swap with some street tuning that went bad...

and now running a k20z3 swap

the thing is about this swap is..

Ive tried all the maps possible, but still it runs like garbage

Im going to have it tuned next week, but im afraid it wont make as much power as my previous swaps

reason im doubtin this motor is because the base maps i had before had me jump on the dyno with 204 whp... and now with the z3 swap , i cant even run with cars making 196 whp

is there something about this motor that i need to know, and change?

could it be because of the balancer shafts in this motor?
something to do with the conversion of the TB (from wireless, to the 06 typ s)?
rbc manifold?

also, i just read that having a intake is vital for this motor, I currently havnt found a nice intake for it yet. but is this something that i should really look into?

thanks for reading and ur time, please share your advice! :dance:

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
usually the z3 makes the most power of all stock k20's, even people with 06+ si's are getting over 200whp without even tuning... wait to see what happens after the tune. maybe somethign is wrong wit the motor itself, try a leakedown and compression test

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
HAhahahahha...u got a Poop out motor..JK
I hope my k20z3 doesnt have the virus like ur...lol

Holla at me Colin....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Whatch your injectors.... I ever have a this trouble with my k20a2....

the no return fuel line have this tendancy....

·
Registered
225 Posts
usually the z3 makes the most power of all stock k20's, even people with 06+ si's are getting over 200whp without even tuning... wait to see what happens after the tune. maybe somethign is wrong wit the motor itself, try a leakedown and compression test
from what i've seen, that is true. the Z3 seems to be making more hp. the same day i went to dyno my car, there was a K20Z1 there before me and he made 205whp with I/RH/E and tuning. all i had was a race header and i made 206hp/145tq. the tuner/dyno guy was surprise; he gave me 4 pulls and all 4 pulls were consistence (205, 206, 204, 205)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
from what i've seen, that is true. the Z3 seems to be making more hp. the same day i went to dyno my car, there was a K20Z1 there before me and he made 205whp with I/RH/E and tuning. all i had was a race header and i made 206hp/145tq. the tuner/dyno guy was surprise; he gave me 4 pulls and all 4 pulls were consistence (205, 206, 204, 205)

i get what your saying in a way..

but i really dont see how the z3 is supposed to be better by much..
same gear ratio
same cams
same head design
same pistons and compression

all the z3 has is the rbc manifold
balancer shafts and a big ass oil pan that sticks out 1 feet from my undercarriage - i hate this motor bcause of that.. lol

we will see this weekend... im going to throw back on my 3 inch exhaust and have it tuned by mase .. see what we can get out of it before i pull it out again

i really just posted this thread to see if someone will prove my thoughts of this motor having some kind of different technology behind it not allowing a map from a z1 or a2 to work well ...

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
i get what your saying in a way..

but i really dont see how the z3 is supposed to be better by much..
same gear ratio
same cams
same head design
same pistons and compression

all the z3 has is the rbc manifold
balancer shafts and a big ass oil pan that sticks out 1 feet from my undercarriage - i hate this motor bcause of that.. lol

The Z3 trans has a 4.7fd, the Z1 came with a 4.3

The Z1 uses PRC cams and the Z3 uses a RRB intake and a PRB exhaust cam.

The Z1 and Z3 use different heads, the Z1 uses a PRB head casting and the Z3 is a RBC head(similar to the TSX head layout).

The z3 engine was lifted from the EuroR almost untouched.

And to the TS, i would do a compression/leakdown test as mentioned above.

Doug

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
^^^^yea that

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Z1 uses PRC cams and the Z3 uses a RRB intake and a PRB exhaust cam.

The Z1 and Z3 use different heads, the Z1 uses a PRB head casting and the Z3 is a RBC head(similar to the TSX head layout).

The z3 engine was lifted from the EuroR almost untouched.

Doug
for one,, i didnt get to keep the z3 tranny.. i have my z1 still

the thing about the z3 head bieng simualr to a tsx... is that good or bad?
in the process of building a 2.4 n/a setup.. and wana know if i should build a z1 head instead..

besides all that..

out of curiousity..
motor for motor.. which motor has more potential with out opening it up at all
z3 or z1?

doing a leak down test tommora afternoon to see if it is worth tuning.. will keep u guys updated ...
:cool:

·
Registered
225 Posts
maybe Honda secretly did something to the Z3. the shop that is running the 07 Si with kpro stated that they are making around 10hp more with the Si than the RSX-S; with equal mods, the Si > RSX-S.

i wonder, if you take Si parts and put it on the RSX-S and make X amount of hp with it. then take RSX-S parts and put it on the Si, will you make more hp??

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im here trying to figure out why it isnt the case for me!

here is a new thought... i have no engine error codes.. and the car runs smooth..
but can the lack of performance have something to do with the fact that its a swap?

becaue the Z1 harness i have on it IS a completely different harness from the original Z3.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts