Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a Civic SI 2006 K20Z3 and I can get a complete k24a2. I want to use the K20Z3 head with the K24a2 block (frank). I found informations for the K20A2 head but nothing about the K20Z3.

My question is do I need to modify anything to get this thing going in accordance to a k24a2, as in the mounts? Is the serpentine belt special for a frank build or is it just the k24 belt? Anything else that id need to modify? Is kpro, FlashPro necessary or is it ok if run the stock SI ecu?

·
Registered
467 Posts
K20Z3 head will work just like a K20a2 head. Nothing will need to be modifyed on the head if its goin in ur SI (Aside from the normal modifications needed to install a K24 in to ur SI). You will need to tune ur car, so flashpro may be ur best bet since its alot cheaper then gettting kpro for an SI

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
Serpentine belt is exactly the same as your current setup if you're using your K20Z3 crank pulley. If you're using the K24A2 crank pulley, you can use the one that came with the K24A2. The only difference with the K24 setup is your head sits a little higher but everything else sits at the same height as before.

You'll need to get the CRV side mount for the engine. The studs and bolts running up and down (and not into the engine block/head) are thinner than the K20Z3's but it'll still work. Just need to get a different nut and bolt.

And I'd run FlashPro. Your stock ECU won't know you've now got a K24 in there and will only give enough fuel for a 2.0L engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Serpentine belt is exactly the same as your current setup if you're using your K20Z3 crank pulley. If you're using the K24A2 crank pulley, you can use the one that came with the K24A2. The only difference with the K24 setup is your head sits a little higher but everything else sits at the same height as before.

You'll need to get the CRV side mount for the engine. The studs and bolts running up and down (and not into the engine block/head) are thinner than the K20Z3's but it'll still work. Just need to get a different nut and bolt.

And I'd run FlashPro. Your stock ECU won't know you've now got a K24 in there and will only give enough fuel for a 2.0L engine.
Thank you for your answers. You tell that the head sits a little higher. Do I have to change someting on the hood or there is enough space? Because I have a carbon fiber hood and I don't want to modify it.

Also, how many HP gain can be expected to get?

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
No hood modifications needed as far as I know for the 2006-11 Civic with a K24. I have a K24 in my RSX and that fits like it was meant to be there. I believe you can even get away without modding a DC2 and EK Civic but the EG, EF and Del Sol, I'm sure you need to cut the hood.

Also, if you have a TSX engine from 06 and up, I believe it's got bigger valves than your Civic's K20Z3 head so might be easier to just drop in a complete engine.

·
Banned
140 Posts
I believe a frank will fit under the hood of a Del Sol. I have a 94 with a CF hood and a Z3 resides there at the moment. Hood space is not the issue with my Sol, the oil pan required I raise the car to stock levels and the oil pan is still conspicuously dangling like a wall cloud. Am building a frank and dont expect any problems with hood clearance, I have plenty, like 3 inches or so at the head. Will share if I find something different after build.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
I have a Del Sol too. I haven't put my hood all the way down yet and I've got a K20Z3 as well. I'm not sure how a K24 will sit. I have a K24 sitting in my garage waiting to get built. Also, the problem is more with my RBC intake manifold than anything else. That vacuum nipple to the brake booster is the major one. Also at stock height with RSX-sized tired (from my RSX). Reduces the wheel gap great and plenty of oil pan clearance. I just need to find some side skirts to make it look lower.

·
Banned
140 Posts
You dont get the wagon wheel 4WD look with the larger diameter wheel?
I have 17's with 40 series rubber, it doesnt look terrible or even bad, it just doesnt look lean and mean as it did before with 1/4 inch fender gaps.

I see the issue with the intake, I think I have a VIS hood... in my set up there is still an inch to an inch.5 clearance at this point. I'll be using an RRC so I'm not sure what to expect. Glad to hear theres others out there with a quality Sol; theres a few in my area but I'm the only K. The lil cars are getting scarce as time goes on with many in a state of OMG repair. :)

If u have pix of your Sol I'd be interested to see them. :up:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.