Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been coming across a lot of discussion with the coolant diverters and which motors they are on. I don't recall seeing anythying like that when I disassembled my motor. Anyways long story short, my z3 block is bored to 87mm and I using the stock head still. Blew a cometic gasket gasket so I'm going to order a stock one, to match the bore, I was intending on running a tsx gasket. Is this diverter thing an issue in this case or will the the tsx gasket work well with bored block

·
Registered
224 Posts
The old style 02-05 gaskets are completely different. There are not as many coolant holes in the new style z3 style gaskets. The head is designed to use the coolant diverter so it won't create a hot spot on certain cylinders. It flows the coolant around and up intomthe head If u have a z3 head you will have to use a new style Tsx gasket and diverter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah man I don't recall seeing these diverters on my block but I'll check when I pull the head and post a pic if they aren't there. Also I ordered an a 2006 accord gasket which has the exact same part number as the tsx. As long as the bore on the gasket matches the cylinders and the passages match the ones on the old oem gasket them I'll have piece of mind that it's done right. Thanks for you input bro.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43087

I knew I'd find it. Lol. Look at the pics. I just went thru this with mine. I'm using a tsx on a 88mm bore.
I saw that thread already haha it didn't exactly answer my problem completely but it led me to believe the accord/tsx gasket would work well with my current set up. Only problem is this diverter business, I'm going to take a gooooood look at my block and see if I can find them. Block is from an 09 Si btw

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm almost positive all k20z3 motors came with the partition plate.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Super late follow up,

I'm sure a lot of members already know about what I'm about to say but for those who stumble across thread, the 06 accord HG works just like it was meant to be there in the first place

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
So there wasn't a coolant diverter after all? Just a head gasket issue?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So there wasn't a coolant diverter after all? Just a head gasket issue?
The k20z3 has the diverter and the k20a2 does not. Not sure why but that's just he way it is. Accord/tsx HG is meant for the 87mm k24 blocks. When I built these k20s I mad a machine shop bore them 1mm over which makes them 87mm now. Stock k20 HG are meant for 86mm bores. This is why I used the k24 HG. Used supertech 11.5:1 on the k20a2 and it's running strong so far. Has a little over 100 miles on it, z3 has like 10k now.

Does that answer your question

·
Registered
224 Posts
Correct but I used this HG in a k20z3 and also built a k20a2 using the same gasket
24a2/4 and z3 are made to use the diverter. They Are supposd to move coolant around so they could reduce hot spots on cylinders.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
24a2/4 and z3 are made to use the diverter. They Are supposd to move coolant around so they could reduce hot spots on cylinders.
Which is why the k24a2/4 HG worked in the k20z3. When I used it again for the k20a2, I layed the old a2 HG over the k24a2 while it was still in the plastic and all the holes and coolant passage lined up perfectly. There was only one small difference and that's where there were 2 separate holes on the k20 that were joined to be a single bean shaped hole on the k24. It was a just a coolant passage and this little difference hasn't caused any problems.

Don't have pics of what I mean but basically it looks like "Oo" on the k20 HG and on the k24 HG the o's and joined

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shit haha I've been saying k20a2 this whole time! My fault it was a k20z1 from an 05 type s, the rsx was so beat up I figured it was one of the older models with the a2 lol

I forget if the a2 and z1 have the same HG

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here's the difference. A2 z1 same gasket btw. Gaskets changed in 06 with the z3
Motor. That's when the coolant divert or was introduced into the blocks. . Z3 k24a2/4 heads use new gasket per coolant flow design

A heads-up for folks doing the same swap or just K-engine work in general: in the water jacket around the cylinders nearest to the coolant entry point (it's on the timing chain end of the block) there sits what Acura calls a "partition plate." The plate acts as a diverter, forcing the coolant to travel the longest way around the sleeves rather than allowing the fluid to take the shortest path out, which leaves the cylinders on one end of the block unprotected. Before reassembling the motor, MAKE SURE THIS PLATE IS PRESENT.

Read more: http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/..._block_k20_cylinder_head_build/#ixzz2q65rGkmu

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts