Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, after doing tons and tons of research about dry sumps I finnally purchased a kit. I figured, since its really tough to find info about dry sumps since most people who use them are teams who dont want to share their secrets, I would start a thread following the install of the kit and that way other people who are debateing dry sumps can have a one stop shop for info.

This is my first thread of this nature so please bare with me.

Here it goes....

First off the basics of the car:

EM2 chasis
K20A3 bottom end
K20A2 head
Full race twin scroll trubo kit
GT4094

The k20 engine is already super tight in the engine bay so some cutting will be required.

The kit (minus one part that i forgot in my car)

the car coming apart

The pump's mounting bracket

the pump mounted

The area that will need to be cut to fit the pump's pulley

That's all I have done for the moment. hopeing to get the engine out by saturday to remove the old pump and pan, block off the oil passage, swap to the ATI crank damper. and do some other fun stuff.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Oil filter adapter came in today, its sold as part of the kit but was back-ordered

Got the engine out tonite. Wasnt planning on doing that till tommorow but i uad some help so the work went quick.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nice but im wondering why this is being done is it just for looks , were you in need of as dry sump oil system. Seems like a ton of work and money for a oiling system that works just fine for the most part. Dont take this the wrong way Im just curious what the issues were with the k20 oil system? It looks pretty good I will say that. Where are you mounting the tank.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
nice dry sump, off topic but whats the jegs thing on driver side of bay? brake porportion valve? and is that TB a k20TB upside down? if so what purpose for it being upside down. thx

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice but im wondering why this is being done is it just for looks , were you in need of as dry sump oil system. Seems like a ton of work and money for a oiling system that works just fine for the most part. Dont take this the wrong way Im just curious what the issues were with the k20 oil system? It looks pretty good I will say that. Where are you mounting the tank.
The reason i went with the dry sump is for higher rpm limit and for horsepower gain thanks to crank case vacuum. Also for looks (being able to cover up the dipstick and oil filler on the valve cover). Also I have never worked on a dry sump engine so i wanted to try something new.

nice dry sump, off topic but whats the jegs thing on driver side of bay? brake porportion valve? and is that TB a k20TB upside down? if so what purpose for it being upside down. thx
Yes the jegs thing is an adjustable prop. Valve which i added gauges to and yes its a stock k20a3 throttle body flipped 180 degrees i did that to hide the sensors and to move the throttle cable so it would run under the turbo rather than over. Haveing it upside down also makes it easier to get to the idle adjustment screw.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

stock oil pump

stock oil pump taken off

the studs for the stock oil pan are too short to be used with the new oil pan so they will need to be removed. Also i'll need to get longer screws for the new pan.

test fit the pan

#5 cam tower and rocker shafts ready to be shipped out for fifth cam tower oil upgrade

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oh I see its mainly for looks that's cool. An s2000 pump will flow oil over 9000 rpm that's what we use. I've never seen this setup done for a street car

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh I see its mainly for looks that's cool. An s2000 pump will flow oil over 9000 rpm that's what we use. I've never seen this setup done for a street car
9,000 is a high rpm but I'm aiming for 10,000. Definetly not with a stock k20a3 but the plan is to get a built engine once the oil system, methanol system, and all the other peripheral systems are working corectly.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Just out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking. How much was the Aviaid kit? Is the damper required? Whats the pn for the kit? Can't find much on it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

stock oil pump

stock oil pump taken off

the studs for the stock oil pan are too short to be used with the new oil pan so they will need to be removed. Also i'll need to get longer screws for the new pan.

test fit the pan

#5 cam tower and rocker shafts ready to be shipped out for fifth cam tower oil upgrade
Where are you sending that too and how much?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking. How much was the Aviaid kit? Is the damper required? Whats the pn for the kit? Can't find much on it.
The kit is sold by blueprint, the damper is required bacause the drive pully bolts to it. The kit was 2796.99 and the pulley wat 386.99 it also requires the water pump delete plate which i already had. Bp3stgdsp is the kit p/n.

·
Registered
21,788 Posts
good stuff here man, looks nice:up:

I depth'd the oil pan bolts n got stuff from arp. Might as well go with the good stuff if you're at it. I cant remember what length I got, sorry dood.

what are you gonna do to the VC? I never thought of shaving/filling it like you mentioned, I was just gonna use a cap and a cut dipstick still. give no clues it had sump, but now you got me thinking.

you think about maybe using an rdx valve cover? its a lil different

·
Registered
337 Posts
Good info so far on the thread.

I emailed Blueprint a couple of days ago about this kit as i just noticed it on their site. Need to wait until they are back and able to reply to emails though.

Do you have to delete the stock water pump?

I'm using power steering too. Do you know if i can retain this with their kit?

I'm looking for a dry sump kit for a K20A2 in an EG chassis and I've noticed that the Pace kit appears to offer better ground clearance as their sump is shallower than the Blueprint sump. This is the main reason for me going dry sump as i've already cracked one sump and never want that to happen again. The car is going lower soon on revised suspension setup so for me it seems that dry sump is the only way forward.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good stuff here man, looks nice:up:

I depth'd the oil pan bolts n got stuff from arp. Might as well go with the good stuff if you're at it. I cant remember what length I got, sorry dood.

what are you gonna do to the VC? I never thought of shaving/filling it like you mentioned, I was just gonna use a cap and a cut dipstick still. give no clues it had sump, but now you got me thinking.

you think about maybe using an rdx valve cover? its a lil different
I'm going to use the rsx VC just cuz I ike that it says "honda motor co." I'm going to machine some plates to fit over the dip stick and oil filler then weld them in and grind it down so it looks like nothing was ever there. It should look really clean. as for the bolts, I'm going to find some from somewere else on the engine or car that are the propper length then order enough to do the whole oil pan.

I emailed Blueprint a couple of days ago about this kit as i just noticed it on their site. Need to wait until they are back and able to reply to emails though.

I'm looking for a dry sump kit for a K20A2 in an EG chassis and I've noticed that the Pace kit appears to offer better ground clearance as their sump is shallower than the Blueprint sump. This is the main reason for me going dry sump as i've already cracked one sump and never want that to happen again. The car is going lower soon on revised suspension setup so for me it seems that dry sump is the only way forward.

yes, the mechanical water pump needs to go. and I dont know if its possible to keep power steering If I remember correctly the power steering pump mounts to the water pump so its probably not possible... I agree that it looks like the Pace kit will let the car sit lower but i dont have any measurements to back that up... I can get some pics of the pump and pan mounted later.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Your not going to find much info on this product because its custom. The kit Kyle bought is the second of its type... the kits sold prior have been slightly different and have varied in configuration and price. I'm sure the product will continue to evolve but an ATI damper will be required regardless.

A little back story:
I started working on this product many months ago after we had been contracted to build an engine w/ a dry sump system for a customer over sea's. We had a number of options but none of them were designed for a road race application and those that were... were not of the quality we were looking for. We ended up choosing Aviaid because of their quality, experience, proximity, and willingness to work with us.

It was made clear very early in the relationship that they did not offer the product we were looking for nor did they want to start. We were on our own! Being close was very important, as many items were purchased, returned, modified, destroyed and reordered. Shipping cost and turn around time was one way to help keep cost down and our customer happy.

Months later and several sales later the product has been refined into what Kyle has purchased.

You can find the pictures of the first system at the end of this album... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.187124851331680.43056.172934779417354&type=1&l=48eb532945

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

What email address did you send your email to? I have not seen an email... if you dont mind re-sending it, please send it to [email protected]

Kyle already had a the water pump delete but its not necessary to switch over to an electric pump, you may see additional gains/ bennifits but thats only if you dont mind complicating things or spending a little more.

There is a picture in this album https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.261832067194291.67224.172934779417354&type=1&l=60daacdb7f (10th. one down) that shows how the pump would fit using an OEM water pump housing. The pump in the picture is not the same but it is similar and should give you an idea of how things sit.

Power steering is mounted up top and does not present any problems seeing how its out of the way and driven by a common belt as the water pump.

·
Registered
21,788 Posts
I plan on running the karcepts kit/mr2 electric PS pump with my setup for those worried about fitment issues with this stuff. Solves a lotta problems:up:

Good stuff Robert:up:

1 - 20 of 234 Posts