Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
cool!

so there will be at least 3 of us in H1 with K series motors.....

chad, i'm glad you are going to go K, but am a little surprised that you decided to make the change, especially now that the 2005 rules are so strict on the K cars (for those of you out there that don't know, for 2005 all K series motors must remain factory stock; no cams or headwork is allowed; must be all honda oem parts. also, K series cars must weigh in at 2350 with driver; B series cars are allowed to be 2100 or 2200 with driver, depending on displacement. B series are allowed substantial head mods -- any cam setup, any porting job, etc.)

with the weight penalty plus the stock oem motor rule, i don't think that a K motored car will be able to turn the ultimate fastest laps this year.

i do believe that the K cars will be much more reliable if driven properly (seems the stock honda motors are safely built from the factory, as long as one keeps the revs below 8200) but i think if a mega built B car (like your old B motored creations) can hold together it will turn faster times....

anyway, it'll be great to see you out there in a K car (and Justin, too!).

todd

·
Registered
24 Posts
per the rules, as i understand them, for a K motored car, you can use any honda oem automobile part. so yes, you could use S2000 pistons, if they fit in the K motor.

one thing is for certain, i think. if you run a K motor, i think the K20 will be the motor of choice. i don't see many K24/K20 hybrids being built to race in the H1 Honda Challenge. you'd have to use the k24 rods and pistons (unless there is another honda oem variant that would fit), and i don't think the engine would last long if you revved above 7200 with the K24 bottom end. remember, this isn't drag racing; we run two races per weekend; each race is a practice (20 mins), qualifying (15 mins) and race (25-30 mins). flat out, to the wood. last year, we saw alot of B20vtec failures (remember, in H1, all bottom ends of any motor, regardless of engine code, must be all oem honda parts). guys would build up the top ends of those motors to make big power (with a fairly high redline), but the bottom ends would not hold (cracked sleeves, broken rods, spun bearings, etc.).

should be a very very fun and interesting year!!! i can't wait for mid ohio in three weeks!!!! :up:

todd

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
todd.....i hvae rumors of 250 plus hp out of k series on honda parts....can't tell you who or how....but.....if it is reliable then sweet i'm there...
there are a few k20 tricks....

for my k20...should be 210-220 hp to the wheels (most i got out of b was 225) and i currently weigh in at 2300 even....50 more lb's isn't gonna hurt me at all....

so i'll be at the same hp and have more tq and be bone stock....i really think i'll be competitive....if i didn't i would not be going this route...

rules....sometimes they suck.....

but i think it will be competitive and reliable....we will see though...

todd you interested in a 4.8 final drive for yours?

·
Registered
24 Posts
sure, i'd be interested in a FD; is that the stock TSX FD, or something aftermarket?

and 250 whp sounds unbelievable on a stock oem engine. if its possible, i want to have my car "tuned up" to that level!!!!!!

todd

·
Registered
599 Posts
d15b7 said:
with the weight penalty plus the stock oem motor rule, i don't think that a K motored car will be able to turn the ultimate fastest laps this year.

i do believe that the K cars will be much more reliable if driven properly (seems the stock honda motors are safely built from the factory, as long as one keeps the revs below 8200) but i think if a mega built B car (like your old B motored creations) can hold together it will turn faster times....
I think the fastest cars will be K-powered even with the new rules.

brian g

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
d15b7 said:
one thing is for certain, i think. if you run a K motor, i think the K20 will be the motor of choice. i don't see many K24/K20 hybrids being built to race in the H1 Honda Challenge. you'd have to use the k24 rods and pistons (unless there is another honda oem variant that would fit), and i don't think the engine would last long if you revved above 7200 with the K24 bottom end.

todd
what is the stock redline for a K24a2?

with a dyno like this I don't see why a K24 would not be a good choice?

This is a TSX motor a little better than all the other K24's (higher compression, and a better head) so why would you need to rev this thing all that high to be competitive?

<---- No Honda challenge experience :eek:

·
GoldStar
2,657 Posts
chad said:
for my k20...should be 210-220 hp to the wheels (most i got out of b was 225) and i currently weigh in at 2300 even....50 more lb's isn't gonna hurt me at all....
that's the same power with a higher weight requirement though. all the b series guys can run at 2100lbs. but i agree with you. reliablity will win out in the end. :up:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
98specR said:
that's the same power with a higher weight requirement though. all the b series guys can run at 2100lbs. but i agree with you. reliablity will win out in the end. :up:

no it isn't....show me a b series making 160 plus foot pounds of tq....
and they have to be at 2200lbs....

only b16a's can be 2100lbs....and what does a fully built b16 make? 200 and 120 tq.....ohhh no.....i'm not scared of that....

a fully built itr with ctr pistons head work and toda c's is gonna make....205-210 and 130-140tq....ohhh no....

what you all do not understand but the name of the game is TQ!!!!!!!!!

until you have raced and know what 160 tq from 3k to 8k feels like and pulls Like a crackhead on everything....

my fully built b20vtec with 12.6 compression did 215 and 152 tq and i weighed 2320 pulled freight trains on everything....

add 30 tq to that and 30 lbs of weight.....

yeah the k is gonna ROCK N ROLL all over the competition!

at least that is the plan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.