Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Not a sausage!

The CL9 has a K24A3 unit running 190/160, pretty much a US K24A2 but with an oil cooler already on the water pump, dont think it got >06 revamped internals like the US did.
Was looking at one of these motors, but guessing it would need K-Pro to run.

Would love to get hold of a forged K24A1 and Rotrex it for a balance of economy and power, but stuck in a crappy job right now so a true VTEC motor would be more cost effective in terms of bang for buck.

Glad to hear my self pitying rambling may have given you some ideas to work on though!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey bud! Thanks for looking, going to be a while until its swap time, just gotta pay the bills and dream at the moment :)whiner: lol!)

After all the BS theory of trying to get round the DBW system in the cosmic grey car, it was a big step forward getting hold of a suitable donor.
Seen a few 5 door hatches with cosmetic mods, but yet to see one with a "full fat" motor.
These 5 doors weigh in at nearly 2800 pounds so convinced K24 is the way to go.
If the K24A3 gets swapped in, pretty tempted stay stock and run mapped with the RBB IM until its Rotrex time, forget about rpm and concentrate on low end muscle.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
As above, when the silver EV was finally out on the road it was apparent there were a few issues, just hoping they dont turn too ugly before the grey EV sells as that is where the money is at right now.

Thinking the mild misfire/hesitation problem may be down to a faulty TPS.
Idle is fine and steady, no problems when going WOT, but accelerating steadily can produce hesitation and jerkiness at medium rpm.

Got an eye on a K-Tuned V2 TPS, cant do any harm, looks good and peace of mind into the bargain.
Also had an Email exchange with Mike while looking for answers to the DBW problem and it would be nice to be able to put some business their way after his helpful responses.

A few other things to sort too, but cant figure the source of the symptoms (noob!)
Anyway, just a couple more pics as she stands, planning on some springs and shocks as soon as funds allow, mainly for handling, but a slight drop will help looks wise:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Apologies peeps, this thread kind of started with a bunch of theories and has ended up going towards the slowest project thread in history.

Been scanning the 5 speed vs 6 speed debates, not because i have a choice really, but more to see how terrible my 5 speed will be.

A bit of an oddity these EV1's, not the same as the EP3 Si tranny, they have a 4.3 FD and a shorter (3.266) 1st gear as compensation.

Looking at a calculator comparison it seems the combo of FD and shorter 1st balance the ratio to be very close to the EP3 in 1st gear, but as the other gears are identical to the EP3 then they are taller over all with the 4.3.

Only a daily driver so not critical, but kind of wonder how it will work out in the real world :scared:
As mentioned above, was thinking initially of a stock K24A3 setup tuned with the RBB IM to max out on torque, concentrate on the low end as a first incarnation and see where it goes from there.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Okay, so wrong again (dumbass! lol!)

The torque peaks much lower on a K24A1, seen the thread about adapting the RBB injector base etc. to fit it to the 'A1, but as before, these motors are not native to the UK.

Did drop Luke at 4 Piston a line about one of their budget blocks, but spent the dollars on a suitable car (kind of necessary really)

For the price you guys pay in the US a stock K24A1 would be within reach, so frustrating! :frage:
Would much rather get a 4P block, but as incredibly well priced as they are, on the current finances that would be in about 8 years :thud:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, no progress with the motor side of things as yet (surprise!) off to see a renowned UK tuner in a couple of weeks, so hopefully we can discuss possibilities of where to go motor wise.

I did manage to fit a DC5 wiper switch and the wiring for the extra functions at least, so that should keep me happy until then! :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well, despite being a shade off 100K the K20A3 got the nod from the tuners, a quality oil change, clearance check, and the usual service items have really brought it a new lease of life. Good times.

Many plans, but a new jobby job really has to be the first move, pay to play and all that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to (pointlessly) update on this thread.

Got hold of specific service manual wiring diagrams and such for my car (Civic EV1 Type S VSA)

These confirmed my suspicion that Honda had used systems very much like the CL9 for DBW and VSA.
This included the yaw sensor under the seat, and an odd hybrid inlet manifold like a cross between an RBB and a PRB.
The VSA wiring permeates through loads of systems, and only total removal of such a system will pass UK regulations (grrr!)

Did look at how the CL9 owners had got K-Pro (i meant Flash Pro) installed, but the problem was the fact that the CL9 transmission is high frequency, and the EV1 is low frequency so the chance of the gauge cluster working seemed pretty slim.

So yeah, not looking good.

Could have gone for a preface EV1 without the DBW buuuut...

:puke: Nah! It looks like an old mans hat.

Sooo, looking at UK parts sites i found that during the facelift Honda brought out some facelift cars that still run a cable throttle, conventional PNF ECU, and another throwback being that it uses 4x100 PCD hubs too.

So i got me one :new_slayer:

Had to get rid of the 15" rims, and being short of funds got some cheap Meister R reps, still need some lows though:

Still a hated 5 door, but i love the hate, and as it already runs a K20A3, the foundation is set for something with more potential to be fitted.
Already sent a picture of the guts of the ECU to Hondata and they think there is a good chance it is K-Pro compatible, still need money, but its a start!
Only 8years late in defending the PFL EV1 and your civic days are probably long gone but it doesn't necessarily have to look like an old man's hat 🤣

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Agreed with LotusElise.
A handsome result without doubt 👍

Interestingly enough, another member on here has got the CL9 mapping flashed onto his VSA EV1 ECU and performed a K24/6 speed swap.

Largely successful so far, hopefully he will be able to update us at some point.

As for my Civic, had a little mishap a few years back, only just got rid of her though and kept all the wiring looms and interesting bits.

A CL9, GG6 and RD8 in the stable too... 🙄😁

21 - 31 of 31 Posts