Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys im new here so i been searching online and look for advice im based in the uk try to swap a k20 in a ep2 d16 there alot of cheap k20a3 is it worth getting one im aiming for around 500hp i know that the internals are weak but im planning to upgrade that my plan is to open the hole motor and do everything and think of putting type r head is worth it? Will it fit? I know getting a type r motor would be adeal but the going for 2000 pounds and the k20a3 its like 300

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Hi guys im new here so i been searching online and look for advice im based in the uk try to swap a k20 in a ep2 d16 there alot of cheap k20a3 is it worth getting one im aiming for around 500hp i know that the internals are weak but im planning to upgrade that my plan is to open the hole motor and do everything and think of putting type r head is worth it? Will it fit? I know getting a type r motor would be adeal but the going for 2000 pounds and the k20a3 its like 300
You can do the head swap on the k20a3 with any of the other common k series cylinder heads. The a3 will take about 350whp (maybe 400 at the most) all stock before you start blowing them left and right. If you do forged rods and pistons the engine is good for 600+ But I’m not sure that cylinder head will do you any favors. A 3 lobe head would get you a ton more power on boost.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,334 Posts
i would be concerned about the rods and rod bearing in the A3 engine. if you are doing a head swap I would want to test the seals on the valves to be safe. buying a used head is hard to put trust in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can do the head swap on the k20a3 with any of the other common k series cylinder heads. The a3 will take about 350whp (maybe 400 at the most) all stock before you start blowing them left and right. If you do forged rods and pistons the engine is good for 600+ But I’m not sure that cylinder head will do you any favors. A 3 lobe head would get you a ton more power on boost.
But the a3 its vtech on one side only right or not ? So you thinks by upgrading springs retainer and cams will be good ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would be concerned about the rods and rod bearing in the A3 engine. if you are doing a head swap I would want to test the seals on the valves to be safe. buying a used head is hard to put trust in.
Yes ill be going over all of that ill try doing some lite porting and do a full check up

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
But the a3 its vtech on one side only right or not ? So you thinks by upgrading springs retainer and cams will be good ?
You could upgrade the a3 style valvetrain yes. Vtec is only on the intake lobe. For the money you will spend getting all that for the a3 head in my opinion you are better off doing a stock k20a2/z1 or k24a2 head swap onto your shortblock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts