Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 02 Civic Si.

Nothing done to it worthy of listing right now, I am also relatively new to all this.

I am wondering the best route to take. Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vague....

I'm basically interested in hearing from someone who has done this themselves, maybe made some mistakes they could tell me about so I don't do them as well. Maybe which parts, setup, all that would be the "Best Recommended" method.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right, I apologize for that...

I would like to turbo it eventually, I want the car to be my daily driver but also be able to achieve at least mid 12's. It's not super super fast but I would like it to be a real practical daily driver as well.

Should I just save up and do it all at once? Or...?

Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
12s can be achieved with a stock k20a3 motor[add turbo].

If youre not familiar with turbo setups you can start searching around for a good "kit"

STAY AWAY FROM EBAY TRASH

Im sure there are some nice kits available from some of the site vendors, dont forget to get a good engine management hondata's K-pro is a great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm also interested in building up the entire engine. The engine I have now has 130K on it but it's highway miles, it runs great no problems and all that but I would like to get a really solid, strong, reliable engine as well.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Your best option is to pull the A3 out, sell it and slip in a K20A2 w/6spd and ECU. That was the best mod I did with my EP3.

·
Registered
118 Posts
yeah pulling the a3 and swapping an a2 is easy but expensive. With 2 months of down time you can pull the a3 motor and build it with stronger internals.

I would say if you want to spend a penny just do a full build on the a3 using some of the parts you have now, saving you a little bit a of money and you know what your getting.

Turbo it, Tune it, drive the hell out of it!

I dont know what kind of answers you are looking for but a quality turbo install with the proper EMS will run from 2000-3500 depending on the power you want ot put down (same on either an a3 or a2)

If you want to save money but be quick a boosted a3 on 9lbs would be enough to have fun with.

·
K24 USDM EG
26,856 Posts
im putting together a beater swap. i got a complete A3 swap for free out of wrecked ep3 with 20k miles. so i put in a set of skunk2 cams and threw in a comp stage 4 clutch and some other parts, rbc, yada. should make decent power. im going to beat around on the A3 for the up coming summer and then during the summer im going to be building a k24 longblock to throw in for the winter.:up:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your best option is to pull the A3 out, sell it and slip in a K20A2 w/6spd and ECU. That was the best mod I did with my EP3.
That was my original plan but it is quite pricey, and then to turbo it from there and get a good legit tune I'd be looking at another 4 grand most likely.

So about 4500 for the swap and 4000 for the turbo and tune and all that, I'd be looking at 8k+

But, I believe I can build the block and everything for that kind of money, what would be better?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had asked myself the same question... How much power are you wanting to put down?

The most expensive part of the whole build is going to be the tune... I personally feel like if you change anything internally you really need a tune. Even if you exchanged the pistons with the same compression ratio you still need a tune. I wouldnt go with anything other than K-pro so you are looking at 1500 for an ecu and tune, or now is a good time to learn how to tune!

The engine itself (if moderate power is wanted) can be built for 3k Saying you do all the work yourself, minus machine work. If it was me I would go this route.

Forged 9.1 CP
Forged rods
oem bearings
A2 crank
a3 timing gear
a2 oil cooler (block needs slight modification for oem a2 cooler)
a2 coolant assymbly
a2 head
ARP (or similar)
a2 wiring harness
larger injectors (depends 550-750)
walbro 255
adjustable regulator
k-pro

wideband
oil pressure
fuel pressure
egt

all of this will give you near the same results as the STOCK a2 motor, but will handle power to around 400HP when you are ready to boost.... The a2 I believe runs 10.1 so the compression loss will loose some power but tuning will eliminate that if you are wanting to run NA for a while.

If you ARENT going to boost EVER I wouldnt bother with forged internals I would look for OEM a2 pistons, rods, and crank. Just replace the rod bolts with ARP and give the block a good hone and these internals can be found cheap used and in good condition.

If you decide to go boosted I recomend beefing up the bottom end and going .5 over so you can bore out the cylinder walls to allow for true parallelism of you piston to cylinder wall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not too interested in doing an NA setup, I plan on definitely boosting it, but I also want this car to be pretty practical and my daily driver.

I know not every 2 cars are the same, but I am looking for someone else who has either boosted the a3 or swapped an a2 and what else they did with it and what they're putting down to get a rough idea then go from there.

I understand I have high mileage on my engine, but does anyone know what I could get for my entire a3 swap? If I could get a decent little bit I might actually just follow through with my original plan of doing the a2 swap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts