Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas....just have a quick question.

Can a k20a or k20a2 head be swapped to a k20a3 engine (ie: are the bottom ends the same on all k20 engines?)?

What is needed to do this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
the new head bolts right on, all you need are the head and all the cams, vavles, etc. inside the head. the wiring harness bolts right up and you can use the same ecu if you get hondatta(would cost the same as getting a new ecu and have to get the immobilizer taken out anyway) besides then you can be faster. and, no the blocks arnt the same. the a2/a come with oil squirters and different internals, like the cranks are balanced instead of the a3's counter weighted crank. different comp. ratios. also the k20a has forged pistons.

thrasher

·
Registered
397 Posts
i have a question along the same lines. i have a full k20a2 head, but in putting it on, do you need anything for the exhaust cam vtec? since my ep3 doesnt have exhaust vtec, will i need the solenoid and the lines (or oil passages) to initiate the vtec? also, for the compression ratio, i bought dc5r pistons. but, please get back to me and if possible, let me know where your getting your info. cause ive read every magazine that has anything to do with the k series motors and i havent seen anything about this swap.

·
Registered
59 Posts
no, you dont need anything for the exhaust vtec. its all plug and play. all sensors are there. im not sure about the pistons but they should be fine. i recomend getting k20a rods and k20a/a2 crank(balanced instead of counterweighted) as well. it will make it so you can rev higher. i get most info from forums. ephatch.com k-series.com and clubrsx.com been members of all of those sence begining of '03.

·
Registered
397 Posts
sweet, i appreciate the help dude. cause all i want to do is get this car running right n/a style. so just slap it on and then reflash the ecu and im good?

1 more question dude, i am missing some metal dowell rods from inside the rocker arms. i have been told that the ones from the ep3 head will fit but i dont want to have alot of down time while im trying to figure it out. do you know anything about these? i cant get onto clubrsx.com or ephatch.com because of my work firewall (and this is the only computer i have regular access to). any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a question about the a3.... comparing the block w/ an a2 are the only thing diff just the pistons and rods? Basically i have a a3 block, i wanna build it... sleeves, new pistons, rods, is it worth building up an a3 block or should i just stick w/ the a2? thanks for your help

·
Registered
329 Posts
JThrasher79 said:
the new head bolts right on, all you need are the head and all the cams, vavles, etc. inside the head. the wiring harness bolts right up and you can use the same ecu if you get hondatta(would cost the same as getting a new ecu and have to get the immobilizer taken out anyway) besides then you can be faster. and, no the blocks arnt the same. the a2/a come with oil squirters and different internals, like the cranks are balanced instead of the a3's counter weighted crank. different comp. ratios. also the k20a has forged pistons.

thrasher
All cranks have counter weights my friend.Thek20a3 in the ep3/and dc5 base use balancer shafts which are in the oil pan and are worthless they should be taken out.The k20a2/a dont not use such shafts.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That mean this is not a great idea to go with a k20a2 head on a block ep3 due of the fact less compression in the ep3,poor crank.. etc

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ok i should reformule my phrase,I would meant, its prefereable to make just the whole swap replaced by the enitire type-s engines,less cost money at the end after ecu upgrade on the Si,you still have less cc injectors in the Si compared to the type-s i am pretty sure on that.Oh sorry yes we can build the block of an Si but for how much more compression ok? but we still with more fragile rods and everythings. Also you will have the buy an new head gasket etc etc its cost more more

Also i have 2 engines for sales : B18C5 Compression 11;4.1, the engines has been rebuilt like news,Complete head & block. Type-r Head 2001 , block 2001 also.

Type-s engines 200 hp for sales also:came with everything radiator, ecu, everything, for 3000 $ ,tranny,etc,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.