Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I can't find any info on my issue, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

I have a k swaped eg hatch with a usdm ep3 si 5 speed trans. All 5 forward gears work properly and it can be driven normally, but when I put the car into reverse it locks up. E brake is off.
I can feel it shift into reverse. I even manually shifted it into reverse by hand on the trans itself to make sure it was in reverse, and when I give revs and start to let out the clutch it stalls out the engine with out even budging the car at all.

Anyone ever experience something like this?
Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It still bogs the engine down. I pulled the transmission. Found the flywheel pilot bushing was mangled and destroyed. Tested the trans by hand and was still locking up in reverse. So I opened it up and found the rear main shaft bearing was shot, the last synchro (where 6th gear would be) was jammed into the spacer and was missing teeth, mangled and the synchro spring was broken.

Gear 3&4 synchros where beat up also.
1&2 synchros are perfect
All the gears look in good shape also.
IMG_20191223_152842.jpg
IMG_20191223_155454.jpg

I ordered new synchros, new bearings, and a new spacer for where 6th is.

The pic is the last synchro on the mainshaft. I'll get more pictures later today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The spacer I talked about where 6th gear would be is called the taper cone. The torn up synchro was stuck to it, I had to hammer the synchro off the taper cone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put new bearings, synchros and a new taper cone in the transmission. Cleaned the internals thoroughly. Put it all back together and all gears and reverse works perfectly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts