Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been asked already. I'm looking to install a K20 engine into my classic mini. My eyes are on a K20A2 as I notice it has the most power potential, however I am wondering whether I should instead purchase a cheaper and more readily available alternative K20 engine since I'm planning to rebuild it with a strengthened bottom end etc anyway. For maximum power potential is a K20A2 irreplaceable or can I purchase an alternative K20 and effectively achieve the same result with a rebuild, rebore, porting etc?

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,872 Posts
Apologies if this has been asked already. I'm looking to install a K20 engine into my classic mini. My eyes are on a K20A2 as I notice it has the most power potential, however I am wondering whether I should instead purchase a cheaper and more readily available alternative K20 engine since I'm planning to rebuild it with a strengthened bottom end etc anyway. For maximum power potential is a K20A2 irreplaceable or can I purchase an alternative K20 and effectively achieve the same result with a rebuild, rebore, porting etc?
You can build a base model k20a3 to be just as powerful as any other k platform assuming there is a turbo involved and you will use single lobe cams. The heads don’t flow near as well as the k20a2,k20z3, or k24a2. If you want NA power you will want a k20a2 if you are set on the 2.0. The rev capability, crank, head port, cams , valvetrain is all superior to the a3.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,872 Posts
A k20a3 fully built NA will make about as much as a bolt on stock k20a2. There’s around a 60whp and 1,000rpm peak power difference between the two engines stock for stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the block is the same between the a2 and a3, it's just the internals? I'm planning to supercharge, so it makes sense to buy an a3, upgrade all the internals and supercharge it, as opposed to doing the same with an a2?
I'm planning to run 500whp so would you say the internals of an a2 should be upgraded or would a stock a2 with supercharger safely and reliably run at this power output? If it would I may aswell buy and supercharge a stock a2, otherwise il rebuild an a3.

·
Registered
622 Posts
There was a chap who put in a SC k20a2 in a Mini as a mid engine RWD config. IMHO you don’t want more than 300-350 whp in a classic mini. And that a SC, but completely stock k20a2 does all day with near OE reliability. 400, too. 450, gearbox gets weak link and need upgrades.
500wHp (~650 crank HP) sounds great, but even in a fully build Elise with proper chassis, suspension, 255 section semi slicks,,the few who have done it describe it a scary fast with often the word “fast” skipped.

Be realistic. Unless you build some tubular space frame siluet Mini look-alike, even 350 crank HP will be life threatening to drive.

What SC do you intend to use?
Rotrex or a big TVS1900?

For 500HP you need a lot of airflow, so here the k20a2 is the better starting point.

how much and if you have to upgrade the k20a2 depends on the indented use of the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The intention is to use it for fun only. It won't be an everyday car.

The kit which will be fitted will be obtained from here:

The mini shell will effectively just keep the weather out. It won't serve a structural use any more.

It will be mid engine RWD.

I'm not sure on the SC yet. Something that will fit into the limited space that I have available :LOL:

If I won't be able to get 500whp down to the ground then it's pointless having that power. Might be worth me exploring where that line is.

·
Registered
622 Posts
As you are in the UK, try to get a ride with someone in a supercharge k20 LoTus Elise conversion.
the simple JRSC version have 300 crank HP, the charge cooler ones 350.
Very fast, but it does not try to kill you.
Go beyond and it looks like this:

did z-car not went bust recently?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They did yes. That was a new company though set up by the owners partner (not the owner himself as he stepped back from the business). Z cars the original company now operates again under the original owner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts