Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still a work in progress, but this may be the only k swap LBZ around. 1982 Lancia Beta Zagato, k20a2, 6sp, coilovers, custom axles, Fiat 500 Abarth brakes. Just wanted to share something different and maybe a car some have never seen. It runs and drives, just need to fix a few things. Targa top and a soft top in the rear, although the soft top not installed yet. Lots of other custom touches when compared to the original design. My first car I've tried to build all on my own. Intercooler mounted waiting for a supercharger, just need the time and money to keep the project going.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
@Gerald B Welcome to K20a.org the original home and the source for the K20 & K24. I absolutely love you car for many reasons, it is rare, looks light weight as all get up -- very light weight, and looks like a screamer with a k20 swap. What wheels are these, they look amazing on this car ?

What chassis weight are you working with, I am trying to figure out the power to weight ratio? In the pictures it is hard to tell exactly how low the car is, from what I can make out it is very low and much handle like a go-kart on steroids.

Again welcome to K20a.org, and thank you sincerely for sharing you build here. I am looking forward to more information about the car and build.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for liking the car. It kind of gets mixed reviews. Purists Lancia folks I don't think like it, but I've always liked quirky restomods. It's not as light as you'd think. I weighed it as you see it and it's 2,500lbs. Yes, it's low, one of the issues I need to fix......well, not the ride height, because I like the look of it, but the exhaust. Where the header comes down and under the car needs fixing. Right now, it only has about 3 inches of ground clearance. I've been trying to make things Lancia did in the early 80's more modern. Lancia had some sort of rear brake adjuster bar that was supposed to help keep the car level under hard braking. I have no idea if it ever worked, but if you know anything about Lancia, they tried all sorts of things, a great car company. Just Youtube their world famous rally cars to get an idea: Stratos, 037. I added a Tilton brake bias adjuster, the modern way we try and achieve that.

The wheels are Competizione, made for the new Fiat 500. One nice thing about the new Fiat 500, is that Fiat kept the same bolt pattern, 4x98. Trying to find 4x98 rims is not easy, but made easier now. They are 17 inch on 205/40/17 tires. It also has a stage 2 competition clutch and a wavetrac LSD. Custom axles from the Driveshaft Shop in NC. Acura inner, Lancia outer.

It does handle well, although this is my first ever front wheel drive car. Not much of a video, but it does prove it runs and drives.

Gerald

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Thank you for the lesson about your car. No I do not know much about them except I love the lines, how low it is, and how the top is constructed. It reminds me of the Honda Del Sol some.

I would not know how to improve the header clearance unless the header design can be changed. Others have improved header length and clearance by using a ram-horn header design.

Front wheel cars do have their advantages, my favorite one is the drivetrain loss is less.

·
Registered
672 Posts
awesome car. It seems you got the space to fit an RBC intake manifold instead of the PRB. You might have to move the fan a tad to the left. This will get you better top end. Try to get some ITR DC5 or k20z1 cams and it‘ll pull hard all the way to 8600. Enjoy this the west coast roads. Been some time since I lived there (Santa Barbara/Ca). Missing Hwy 33 at times. Not been to Washinton state except Seattle, but heard it is very very nice.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
@Lotus You would love driving in Virginia on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive, and any other Appalachian mountain's roads. VIR is about 3-4 miles away from any point in VA, Virginia International Raceway is the "HEAT"

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,990 Posts
Thanks for liking the car. It kind of gets mixed reviews. Purists Lancia folks I don't think like it, but I've always liked quirky restomods. It's not as light as you'd think. I weighed it as you see it and it's 2,500lbs. Yes, it's low, one of the issues I need to fix......well, not the ride height, because I like the look of it, but the exhaust. Where the header comes down and under the car needs fixing. Right now, it only has about 3 inches of ground clearance. I've been trying to make things Lancia did in the early 80's more modern. Lancia had some sort of rear brake adjuster bar that was supposed to help keep the car level under hard braking. I have no idea if it ever worked, but if you know anything about Lancia, they tried all sorts of things, a great car company. Just Youtube their world famous rally cars to get an idea: Stratos, 037. I added a Tilton brake bias adjuster, the modern way we try and achieve that.

The wheels are Competizione, made for the new Fiat 500. One nice thing about the new Fiat 500, is that Fiat kept the same bolt pattern, 4x98. Trying to find 4x98 rims is not easy, but made easier now. They are 17 inch on 205/40/17 tires. It also has a stage 2 competition clutch and a wavetrac LSD. Custom axles from the Driveshaft Shop in NC. Acura inner, Lancia outer.

It does handle well, although this is my first ever front wheel drive car. Not much of a video, but it does prove it runs and drives.

Gerald
Vtec sounds nice. What would those purists rather see under the hood the original 85hp terror ? I am suprised to hear it weighs 2500, all metal panels or with plastic bumpers ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought it would weigh less also, especially after I removed the big 1980's heavy bumpers from both ends. There is nothing plastic on the car except for bits in the dash. New technologies and materials have made cars lighter and stronger since the 1980's The K engine and transmission are much more compact than the original, allowing better engine bay access. One of my issues to solve is the original power steering rack, which I'm pretty sure leaked the day it left the factory. It leaks and doesn't work well, and since it's a somewhat rare car, aftermarket parts, especially better designed aftermarket parts, are non existent. Some of the issues are fun to try and solve, some are downright frustrating. I'm not a power steering expert, so this fall I'll be trying to find an outfit that might be able to help solve this.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,990 Posts
he said terror lol...
😂 idk what comes in there from factory, I’ve never seen one of these cars before this post. I’m not a fan of the guys with no imagination, the k swap is clearly better, lol and to hear that he’s got MORE room to work on it under the hood being k series makes it a huge win.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,990 Posts
I thought it would weigh less also, especially after I removed the big 1980's heavy bumpers from both ends. There is nothing plastic on the car except for bits in the dash. New technologies and materials have made cars lighter and stronger since the 1980's The K engine and transmission are much more compact than the original, allowing better engine bay access. One of my issues to solve is the original power steering rack, which I'm pretty sure leaked the day it left the factory. It leaks and doesn't work well, and since it's a somewhat rare car, aftermarket parts, especially better designed aftermarket parts, are non existent. Some of the issues are fun to try and solve, some are downright frustrating. I'm not a power steering expert, so this fall I'll be trying to find an outfit that might be able to help solve this.
I think the 06+ s2000 has some sort of electrically powered PS rack. Maybe something from that system can be adapted to your car ? Just thinking out loud.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
This may sound like a shot in the dark, but it may work. In reference to the power steering issue, I suggest writing companies that are involved in the tuning movement of the late model Fiat for information and links to aftermarket companies. I suppose their are forums already that may have information. This just popped into my head, what about writing or contacting companies in Europe that typically deal with the Fiat? Or looking into the Grassroots Motorsports organization online, I am a member to their forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts