Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been struggling for 2 months now on the motor. Just trying to see if anyone could help since I can't seem to find the issue. The motor is recently rebuilt with new / aftermarket parts. I'm also currently working with my tuner (e-tuned) so I can at least drive it for now to break in the motor.

During cold start, it occasionally dies and I need to give it throttle so the idle doesn't drop. Once it warms up the idle starts surging and I would hear a random / intermittent "tick" sound. The sound happens only when the idle drops from 1000 rpm to 300 rpm.

When I drive the car in first gear the car is hesitant and bogs but once I get to around 2000-3000 rpm, it drives smooth. Also, I datalogged my KPro, the MAP reading is very odd. It shows 90-95 Kpa during idle. Is the normal reading should be 25-30 Kpa during idle? I have a 4 Piston 156v2 cylinder head, Ported Skunk2 Manifold, Skunk2 74MM TB and DC 2.2 cams, not sure if that makes a difference to the map reading.

The diagnosis that I have done so far:
  • Removed and cleaned IACV
  • Calibrated the TPS manually and in KPro
  • Checked for vacuum leak
  • replaced Map sensor
  • Inspected the cylinder head to check for valve adjustment and timing
  • Checked fuel pressure
  • Checked oil pressure
  • No CEL Code
I have used the search function and trying to search for answers, but nothing. Any insight at this point would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? I have a datalog if anyone interested in looking at it.

DataLog Idle

Something I noticed is that the Map sensor reading very low pressure at idle and also the Injectors dead time is off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually ended up doing that and the tuner also fixed the issue.

It was actually the Vtec Solenoid stuck causing the motor to stay in Vtec during idle. KPro wasn't reading it but fixed the issue after I swapped from the Skunk2 / Junk2 to an OEM one. Car idles fine now and very happy with the result.

Hope this helps out for those who are having the same issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts