Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really wanting to perform this swap into my Civic since I got it from my dad (Who bought it new) two years ago.

How much more speed would I get compared to my d17a2?

How much would i have to change in order to get the k20 in. Im aware ill have to drop the subframe and stuff which can be found on k tune unless im wrong.

How much money would it take if I were to get it done at a shop? How much if I do it myself?

I am aware that the platform im using is not ideal and its a very involved process.

Thanks in advance,
Yash

·
Registered
221 Posts
How much more speed would I get compared to my d17a2?
You're talking about going from 127hp and a 4 speed auto transmission to 200hp and a 6 speed manual trans. That will feel like a completely different car.

How much would i have to change in order to get the k20 in. Im aware ill have to drop the subframe and stuff which can be found on k tune unless im wrong.
Look at the stickied thread, it has lots of info.
How to k20a / k24a into EM2

How much money would it take if I were to get it done at a shop? How much if I do it myself?
Go get a quote. If you already have the engine/trans I'd say another $2k in labor and other parts. I have a '02 EX 5 speed that I did this swap on ~4 years ago. I think my total was around $1,200-$1,500. I bought an RSX Type S for cheap with some issues and just swapped everything over, almost nothing was new. That is about as cheap as it can be done doing everything yourself.

I am aware that the platform im using is not ideal and its a very involved process.
The 7th gen Civic is actually one of the easier ones to swap into as it shares the same platform as the RSX and EP3. It would be better if you had a 5 speed already but not a big deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're talking about going from 127hp and a 4 speed auto transmission to 200hp and a 6 speed manual trans. That will feel like a completely different car.

Wow thank you so much for this information. I'm looking online and in my area the only RSX's i'm seeing for under 3k have over 200k miles. What do you think about buying an engine from a warehouse? But those can get fairly pricey.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were saying you already had the engine. The RSX-S I bought had ~220k miles and a broken timing chain. I pulled the engine out and found no bent valves (somehow), so I threw another chain on it and called it a day. Bought the RSX for $1,500, sold the seats for $300, sold a door for $100, then sold the rest of the car for $400 so I really only spend $700 for the engine/trans and all the other parts I needed. Burned/leaked about a quart of oil every 1k miles but I loved it. Put about 45k miles on it before swapping in a K24, still using the trans today.

To me mileage wasn't an issue. You can always partially rebuild the engine/trans before putting it in your car if you want. Having an RSX/EP3 to use as a donor vehicle for all the other parts you need is still a big plus. Depending on what you're wanting to do you will need an ECU, engine harness, all the engine accessories, clutch pedal and lines, subframe, power steering lines or EPS swap, A/C lines if you're keeping it, shifter and cables, axles/hubs, some of the exhaust, and probably other things I can't think of right now. Trying to buy all that separately adds up quick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were saying you already had the engine. The RSX-S I bought had ~220k miles and a broken timing chain. I pulled the engine out and found no bent valves (somehow), so I threw another chain on it and called it a day. Bought the RSX for $1,500, sold the seats for $300, sold a door for $100, then sold the rest of the car for $400 so I really only spend $700 for the engine/trans and all the other parts I needed. Burned/leaked about a quart of oil every 1k miles but I loved it. Put about 45k miles on it before swapping in a K24, still using the trans today.

To me mileage wasn't an issue. You can always partially rebuild the engine/trans before putting it in your car if you want. Having an RSX/EP3 to use as a donor vehicle for all the other parts you need is still a big plus. Depending on what you're wanting to do you will need an ECU, engine harness, all the engine accessories, clutch pedal and lines, subframe, power steering lines or EPS swap, A/C lines if you're keeping it, shifter and cables, axles/hubs, some of the exhaust, and probably other things I can't think of right now. Trying to buy all that separately adds up quick.
Hmm i see what youre saying. What do you think about a complete K20a2 RSX for 2000 with 110k miles?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts