Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I had joined back in September and had hoped to jump right into an engine swap. Life got into the way and things slowed down a bit. However, I was able to start working on this project again and have made some progress. I wanted to share a few pics of the work and custom parts, etc.

BTW - there is a guy in Ohio who does these professionally and I believe has completed at least 4 already. Makes it easy for us DIY out there :)

If you are not familiar with the Fiat x19, it is a mid-engine car is known for 2 things; great handling and underpowered engine. Here is a pick of mine.

This came out. Not a tight fit for this 1300 single cam engine.

Side by side

The one of two parts critical to the swap - these being the spline mated axle rods to fit the inner Honda and outer Fiats.

The second critical part - the new subframe with mounts. This bolts onto both the stock cross member points and the suspension pickups on the Fiat.

Debated to even post this cuz unless your familiar with Fiat X19 engine bay, it can be confusing, however this is a cut out of the main frame-rail that runs driver to passenger length (wheel to wheel) and really supports a ton of weight. The biggest challenge with this swap is the metal fab to the engine bay. These cars are unibody.

A large square-ish opening is required that opens into a spare wheel well (behind the passenger seat). This allows for servicing the alternator, water pump and room for intake manifold or supercharger later ;)

Test fit. looks good.

All the frame rails reinforced and closed up. I did another test fit and still plenty of room. The "box" added to allow space for the manifold and other bits with a removable door.

The shifter mechanism was fun too since the X19 uses a rather simple single rod. The swap I need to switch to dual cables. Here is the custom shifter mechanism and install

That is it for now. Paint it and seal up the engine bay and start focusing on engine specific stuff (finally) like re-routing cooling lines, custom throttle body plate, etc. Tons of work left to do...

This is a full-time job. I don't know how folks do all this :(

Thanks for looking...!
-Tim

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wondering what others have used for external Fuel Pump and regulators? I have a ton of of Fiat FI pumps sitting around, however the those little engines only need 30 psi and I don't think the pumps can do much more. Can't use internal pump.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wondering what others have used for external Fuel Pump and regulators? I have a ton of of Fiat FI pumps sitting around, however the those little engines only need 30 psi and I don't think the pumps can do much more. Can't use internal pump.

Thanks,
Tim
I just found I was wrong, at least the aftermarket Fiat pumps can do 80 lbs unregulated so maybe I am ok on the pump.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some more progress. I was able to workout the cooling/rad, heater core and expansion tank lines.

Have the axles done

Engine installed

And in case your wondering, that is NOT a Ferrari badge on the engine. It is actually a "Bucking Jackass" - sort of a rip on the "Prancing Pony" Ferrari badge. Just a joke.

More work to come this week...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow looks great , i got to drive mine last week wow you sure are going to love the power
Saw your video on xWeb. That thing looks like a ton of fun to drive on a track (or anywhere for that matter!)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That's gonna be a blast to drive.

With the little amount room to the bulkhead are you going to use solid motor mounts, like Innovative or Hasport?
Yep solid mounts. Nothing as nice as Innovative or Hasport though. Just round, generic rubber mounts. You can see 3 in the pic.

There is a fourth attached directly to engine chassis. These then attach to custom brackets bolted to the engine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome job, I look forward to seeing the project progress....
Thanks - some more progress yesterday

Customized the stock shifter cable brackets to use the alternate cables. A little crude welding on the shifter arms. Shifter works great. Now I just need to figure out the gears. Feels like I get can hit all 6 ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skAS489dQck

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wow, props on this! My dad has 2 fiats we've built he gas a spider 2000 (first year it was fuel Injected and an 1800 last year it was carbureted) . I am building a k24 Frankenstein eg hatch myself. I'd love to do something like this in an X 1/9 I gta show him this thread

·
Registered
124 Posts
fiatmonkey,

I am the "guy in Ohio" who built your K20 kit (subframe, mounts, shift linkage, etc) and coil overs. Your kit was the second to last I built before leaving Midwest-Bayless in April.

I hope you enjoy the kit and are satisfied with the craftsmanship. If you have any questions, you can contact me here or PM me for my email address.

The K20 engine does completely transform the X. It removes all the things that make the X crappy--engine, trans, shift linkage and engine management and replaces it all with something wonderful.

The last K20 car I built was supercharged. I never got to see what it could do, though. I was instructed to ship the car untuned.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fiatmonkey,

I am the "guy in Ohio" who built your K20 kit (subframe, mounts, shift linkage, etc) and coil overs. Your kit was the second to last I built before leaving Midwest-Bayless in April.

I hope you enjoy the kit and are satisfied with the craftsmanship. If you have any questions, you can contact me here or PM me for my email address.

The K20 engine does completely transform the X. It removes all the things that make the X crappy--engine, trans, shift linkage and engine management and replaces it all with something wonderful.

The last K20 car I built was supercharged. I never got to see what it could do, though. I was instructed to ship the car untuned.
Hey! I was and still am very impressed with the kit. Very little fitment issues and so far now that I actually have time to work on the car, it is coming together well. Cooling line(s) geometry was a slight challenge but I think I have it worked out.

I might hit you up when I start the wiring but promise not to inundate you with questions.

Thanks!
-Tim

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.