Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken fro honda tech, written by Danny Tran, owner of DTRFAB

alright guys... 3 days of dyno tuning we beat this motor to death to see how much we can squeeze out of it..

Here is a picture of the test subject Ek with K20A2. Modifications include DTR 4-2-1 stainless header, custom 3 inch exhuast, Hondata K-pro, custom Intake, and stock modified Intake manifold.

Our first day of tunning went pretty smooth. Included with the Hondata K-pro package is many base map program files. The base map we used for our motor was K20A type R program with intake exhuast header. At the end our day we finished with [email protected] of torque. We notice a big drop in Top end horsepower and we assumed it was caused by fuel pressure drop. Which still gave us hope that there was a possibility of making more power.

The next day we upgraded our fuel pump and made some adjustments to the regulator return line and our fuel drop was fix. Excited we threw the car back on the dyno and to our discuss the motor didn't make any more power! We check our lambda and the A/F ratio was fine. Then it dawned on us that there was a possiblity that the K20A2 Cam profile may be maxed out and we can't possibly any more power, but wait Hondata K-pro give us the option to tune our cam degree at any RPM. With this in mind we took away 2 degree of cam timing between 7600 rpm and 8000 rpm and we gained! No peak power but definately more top end. Day 2 concluded with no peak gain but some gain.

Day 3 we wanted more power, but with this cam maxed out what do we do. We were going to save this manifold we've been working on for a Type R motor we started to polised it after we ported it but we had to test this manifold to see if we can make some more top end. From our pass experience many common manifold with port work like this yeild about 8-12 hp on b-series motor depending on cam lift. So we expected about 8 Hp gain. After 20 mins to swap manifold out its was back on the dyno.. we warmed the motor up and ran 3 consecutive pass and again we were let down again.. It got some gain but not what we expected. We only gained about 4 Hp top end. This basically put the nail on the coffin "we need a bigger cam!"

here is the finished result.. we expected to push this a little more but 216hp @157lb This motor is a K20A2 Torque monster!

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
EK20A said:
How much torque do you make? 155 torque at around 5K rpm looks pretty good on a K20A2. Props never the less. BTW that car is tuned with a K PRO not a reflash.
I dont call that torque monster, I call the better k motor a torque monster and I can read Ek20a.

·
Registered
303 Posts
C-Zero said:
EK20A said:
How much torque do you make? 155 torque at around 5K rpm looks pretty good on a K20A2. Props never the less. BTW that car is tuned with a K PRO not a reflash.
I dont call that torque monster, I call the better k motor a torque monster and I can read Ek20a.

we threw the car back on the dyno again! 20 more passes... this time we played with the Iginition timing..... here you go!

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
www.dtr-fab.com

for k series headers look here

http://www.dtr-fab.com/product_header_k-series.html

He dropped the pricing on his headers

K-series hybrid 4-2-1 header designed for EG/EK/DC2 chassis using Hasport motor mounts. Two step header made out of 18 guage 304 Stainless or 16 guage mild steel cnc machined flange.1 3/4 primaries stepped to 1 7/8, 2 1/8 primary collectors 2 1/8 secondaries 2 3/8 final collector with a 2 1/2 transtion. Includes 1 primary o2 sensor bung and standard 2 bolt exhuast flange

304 stainless $1050 plus shipping, non Coated mild steel $850 plus shipping

K-series Hybrid 4-1 header Also designed for EG/EK/DC chassis using Hasport motor mounts. Two step header made out of 18 guage 304 Stainless or 16 guage mild steel cnc machined flange 1 3/4 primaries stepped to 1 7/8 2 1/2 15 degree collector with 2 1/2 transition. Includes 1 primary o2 sensor bung and standard 2 bolt exhuast flange.

304 stainless $975 plus shipping non coated mild steel $800 plus shippin

Custom K-series Hybrid full race headers are also available "application built" we can build custom headers for your K24/K20 frankensteinn setup or your Big Bore K20. what ever it is we can build the unit tailored to your motor.

Price varies for different application call for pricing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts