Taken fro honda tech, written by Danny Tran, owner of DTRFAB
alright guys... 3 days of dyno tuning we beat this motor to death to see how much we can squeeze out of it..
Here is a picture of the test subject Ek with K20A2. Modifications include DTR 4-2-1 stainless header, custom 3 inch exhuast, Hondata K-pro, custom Intake, and stock modified Intake manifold.
Our first day of tunning went pretty smooth. Included with the Hondata K-pro package is many base map program files. The base map we used for our motor was K20A type R program with intake exhuast header. At the end our day we finished with [email protected] of torque. We notice a big drop in Top end horsepower and we assumed it was caused by fuel pressure drop. Which still gave us hope that there was a possibility of making more power.
The next day we upgraded our fuel pump and made some adjustments to the regulator return line and our fuel drop was fix. Excited we threw the car back on the dyno and to our discuss the motor didn't make any more power! We check our lambda and the A/F ratio was fine. Then it dawned on us that there was a possiblity that the K20A2 Cam profile may be maxed out and we can't possibly any more power, but wait Hondata K-pro give us the option to tune our cam degree at any RPM. With this in mind we took away 2 degree of cam timing between 7600 rpm and 8000 rpm and we gained! No peak power but definately more top end. Day 2 concluded with no peak gain but some gain.
Day 3 we wanted more power, but with this cam maxed out what do we do. We were going to save this manifold we've been working on for a Type R motor we started to polised it after we ported it but we had to test this manifold to see if we can make some more top end. From our pass experience many common manifold with port work like this yeild about 8-12 hp on b-series motor depending on cam lift. So we expected about 8 Hp gain. After 20 mins to swap manifold out its was back on the dyno.. we warmed the motor up and ran 3 consecutive pass and again we were let down again.. It got some gain but not what we expected. We only gained about 4 Hp top end. This basically put the nail on the coffin "we need a bigger cam!"
here is the finished result.. we expected to push this a little more but 216hp @157lb This motor is a K20A2 Torque monster!