Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do these go for? Also say I wanted to trade tranies with someone, how much boot would I have to give them (a reasonable guestimate) along with my tranny? I want a LSD tranny and I was wanting to see what the cost would be to trade. Otherwise I may just get a different final drive and find a k20a LSD and instal them. Would also like t know where to get a type R lsd.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,811 Posts
k20a r trannies sell for $2000..

As far as trading a type s swap for a k20a r swap.... it depends... on how much money each person is willing to take... lol

There is not cut and dry price.. I have seen people selling type s swaps for $700, $1000, even $1200...

A quaife LSD goes for $890 shipped or something close to that.. Honda LSD around $250-$500 for used.

Final drives for $250

you can also get a cheap 5 speed tranny and make it into a 6 speed LSD tranny
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,811 Posts
You can also use

ITR Final Drive
EP3 Final Drive
TSX Final Drive
ATS Final Drive
'05 Type S Final Drive

You'll need the countershaft, needle bearing, and ring gear from the same application.

The JDM CRV has a more aggresive final drive as well, like the ATS one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$2000 for a tranny is crazy! I would buy a type R lsd (where do I buy one???) and I have thought about a type R final drive or the 05 one. I think the 5.06 one would be a little much for everyday driving.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
nikos said:
You can also use

ITR Final Drive
EP3 Final Drive
TSX Final Drive
ATS Final Drive
'05 Type S Final Drive

You'll need the countershaft, needle bearing, and ring gear from the same application.

The JDM CRV has a more aggresive final drive as well, like the ATS one.
so you are saying that you can swap the final drives between all the trannies right? there isn't an LSD that I could throw in the TSX tranny with the TSX final is there? Do I have to switch out to the RSX final to run the Qaufie/Ats/or the JDM ITR, is tehre any other way?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
All of the diff's are interchangable.To use the quaife,ats or ITR lsd only,you will need to remove the ring gear from your original diff.

To use the TSX tranny with one of those diff's.,you would only need the TSX ring gear,which fits with no modification onto any other K diff.

So far,I have tried MOST of the K diff's,all of the open diffs seem to be identical...they fit into each tranny with no modification and the ring gears swap over perfectly.

Same goes for the LSD's.

Just like nikos said...all of the final drives can be swapped,but you will need the countershaft which matches the ring gear.The Diff does not need to be changed for the fd swap.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
So all I have to buy is the Diff? then I can swap my TSX ring gear off of my OEM tranny and I will be set?

I like the sound of this...

You sound like you are pretty knowledgable about this stuff so maybe you can tell me for sure if the Clutch and Flywheels are all the same between the K series trannies? i asked a guy on E-bay that was selling a combo for an RSX-S and he said they were not the same as my K24a2 (TSX). I have also been told that they are the same? WTF?

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
nikos said:
k20a r trannies sell for $2000..

As far as trading a type s swap for a k20a r swap.... it depends... on how much money each person is willing to take... lol

There is not cut and dry price.. I have seen people selling type s swaps for $700, $1000, even $1200...

A quaife LSD goes for $890 shipped or something close to that.. Honda LSD around $250-$500 for used.

Final drives for $250

you can also get a cheap 5 speed tranny and make it into a 6 speed LSD tranny
lol i want to search where you search and find type s swaps for $700 :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
anybody to answer my question? Where to get the TypeR lsd? I was thinking of getting a type R ring gear but im not sure how much better it would be and how it would effect my highway driving. The stock FD in the type s pulls pretty nicely in my car, but would the typeR one pull better through all the gears?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
jon v said:
So all I have to buy is the Diff? then I can swap my TSX ring gear off of my OEM tranny and I will be set?

I like the sound of this...

You sound like you are pretty knowledgable about this stuff so maybe you can tell me for sure if the Clutch and Flywheels are all the same between the K series trannies? i asked a guy on E-bay that was selling a combo for an RSX-S and he said they were not the same as my K24a2 (TSX). I have also been told that they are the same? WTF?

:cool:
Yes.You can just buy a diff and swap the ring gear over from your original diff.
I havent had every engine swap,so dont know for sure,but I do know that the K20a2,k20a and Civic si/Base rsx K20a3 have the same spline count on the disc,and that the clutches and flywheels are interchangable.
I didnt say same clutches,because I believe the type r has a stiffer pressure plate.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
fearless_dsm said:
Yes.You can just buy a diff and swap the ring gear over from your original diff.
I havent had every engine swap,so dont know for sure,but I do know that the K20a2,k20a and Civic si/Base rsx K20a3 have the same spline count on the disc,and that the clutches and flywheels are interchangable.
I didnt say same clutches,because I believe the type r has a stiffer pressure plate.
Have you had a chance to open up a TSX motor/tranny yet? (K24a2)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
I havent had a TSX engine or tranny,but I have bought a complete gearset from a broken TSX transmission to use for mixing and matching gearing on a transmission I am putting together.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
fearless_dsm said:
I havent had a TSX engine or tranny,but I have bought a complete gearset from a broken TSX transmission to use for mixing and matching gearing on a transmission I am putting together.
Nice...

So with that you can definetly say that the Diff's are the same, and possibly the clutch and flywheel? Or probly not... :eek:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top