Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw a lot of lotus elise getting a k20a swap. what if this was done to the mr-s? i already have a rsx-s 05 but i get a lot of understeer,at the middle of the canyon i can feel my brakes & tires not grabbing anymore. i want to get a mid engine rwd car to be faster in the turns. would it be possible? thanks guys! 8)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I personally cannot vouche for any particular shop. I have been building cars for alot of years and I have no doubt I could do it and make it happen. As for speaking for someone else, I cannot. Plus I don't know where your located. I can tell you though, this wouldn't be cheap. If someone approached me on this, I wouldn't even discuss it if they didn't have several thousand dollars down to start with. If I had to guess and put money on it, I would say Hybrid Racing and Hasport would both be safe bets. I have to wonder though, why not just build the MR-S if thats what you want? There are alot of those platforms that are quite capable in Japan. Seems like a more feasible approach.

·
Registered
285 Posts
ive asked about this and such already....awhile back, and did some research on that specific swap. from the looks of it, its not worth it unless youre going to boost, which means the stock mr2 motor is fine or swap in a 3sgte.
the mr2 is heavy as hell; nothing like the lotus elise. a mr-s would be a better candidate for a k20 swap since its much lighter(weighs around 2300lbs i think, the mr2 weighs around 3000lbs with full interior, and fully stripped down weighs around 2600-2700lbs). but if you plan on doing it anyway, i think it should fit; considering there is a guy that fitted a northstar v8 in a mr2.

btw, the mr2 suffers from "snap" oversteer, which would probally make it more dangerous for canyon driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RC000E @ i wanted the car to be more reliable and all motor. right now the best 4 banger engine that is non turbo is k20a. btw i live in so cal. palmdale. how much do you think this swap will cost? estimate? sorry i dont really know anythin on the mr-s engine. i think the engine is too weak and the engine has less aftermarket support unlike k20a. maybe i need to do my homework on the mr-s engine.

thanks for the info on Hybrid Racing and Hasport.

K2e2vin @ i wanted the mr-s because its lighter. i dont have any intention on getting the mr-2. mr2 suffers oversteer, do you know anythin about mr-s CONS?

thanks guys.

·
Registered
285 Posts
ah, sorry i read the title wrong. well, the mr-s oversteers also but doesnt have that snap oversteer like the mr2. from what ive heard, there arent any problems with the mr-s. if you have the budget then i say go for it. the fastest touge car ive seen/watched was techno pro spirit's mr-s which was powered by a celica engine. with the power and potential of the k20, i think it would outran any 1zz(isnt that the celica engine?) powered mr-s. as far as weight goes, im not too sure, but with the extra power it shouldnt matter too much.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ahh, I mean, I can't really speculate on the market value of that job on the West Coast. I mean I have heard of shops doing k20 swaps into EG's for like 400 bucks (who knows what you get there) to people sharing 2-3k. I know its alot more competitive there, so that may or may not be to your advantage. You may be able to kind of "shop around", but the quality and time it will take is a roll of the dice. Without even looking into this at all, I would have to guess your looking at about 5-6k+ labor. This would be doing a weld-in style mounting system. I am not really familiar with the MR-S though, so shift assembly or mechanism, tranny to wheel power transfer (thats how I'll put it), and simple dimensional compatibility may be a bigger (or smaller) problem than I can guess. This will effect the price in labor. Really, all you can do is buy the MR-S and dive in. You better have some cash ready thats all I can say.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why not swap a toyota motor? We know they know how to make great engines! I believe the 2ZZ-GE is the TOYOTA engine that is in the current Elise. It's a fantastic engine. All aluminum too, the first from Toyota.

By the way, one reason the mR2 was heavier was because of the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.