Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im swaping my k20a3 out of my base manual. I'm puting in a k20a. Everything that comes with the package is listed. My question is will I need anything else, like a different catback (currently have hayme for base) for example? Anything at all would help I just dont want to be in for any suprises, thanks.

Motor
Transmission 6SPD LSD Manual
Engine Wiring Harness
All required Cables
ECU
Distributor
Throttle Body
Injectors
Fuel Rail
Intake Manifold
Exhaust Manifold
Alternator
A/C
Power Steering Pump
All Brackets and Sensors
Intermediate Mid Shaft

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was also wondering if it would be better to do the swap bymyself or have a profesional do it. What is the cost range?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Well, the header + cat is different on the k20a... I would shop around for type s cat back, as I believe it will do the trick, though at the end of the day, any exhaust shop can make you a crush bent, if you are lucky, mandrel bent, midpipe. Now, as for doing it yourself, I would say do it yourself, the swap isn;t all that hard, and if something goes wrong, you will know about it, better than paying a shop to do it, and then learning three months dows the road, that they snapped a sensor glued it back, and now you can only rev to 3k... where are you located, a ton of us experienced folk may be able to lend a hand. Also, I need a piece off of the a3 for my motor... pm me for details.
thanks
r.s.

·
Registered
959 Posts
me and 2 friends swapped a k24 into an EK... Im sure with a buddy... the right tools... you can do it yourself... pay attention to detail tho... torque specs... every bolt... gas in tank... oil in motor/tranny... hehe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good luck on the swap! I'm looking to do that with my ep3 but don't even know where to begin to get a decent price on the motor and all accessories required for the swap. Any info. would help!:)

·
Registered
285 Posts
u need a CAT and motor mounts you dont want to use stock ones trust me and maybe an intake if you dont have one already cuz ur base intake wont fit

·
Registered
22 Posts
what about the ECU? do you need kpro for this motor to run in a base or is the k20a ECU good to plug in. And will an injen CAI from a base fit on the k20a motor? Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
wow... it's been so long since I was looking to do that project. I have a K20Z3 dropped into my ep3. It was professionally installed by Profunctions Automotive out in Burridge, IL. They did a great - clean job on the car. I'm running a type-r ep3 ecu in mine out of an 04. I have not had any issues on my motor and no knock. 6 Speed w/LSD is SWEET!

K-pro would be nice but it's my daily driver and the type-r ecu works just fine for about 1/3 of the cost.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
wow... it's been so long since I was looking to do that project. I have a K20Z3 dropped into my ep3. It was professionally installed by Profunctions Automotive out in Burridge, IL. They did a great - clean job on the car. I'm running a type-r ep3 ecu in mine out of an 04. I have not had any issues on my motor and no knock. 6 Speed w/LSD is SWEET!

K-pro would be nice but it's my daily driver and the type-r ecu works just fine for about 1/3 of the cost.

:rolleyes:
how much did you pay to have it put in?

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
how much did you pay to have it put in?
i put a new motor in my base rsx, usually a shop could charge between 1-3k depending on the work, and the shop.. and your going to have to get your key matched to your ECU as well from acura.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i put a new motor in my base rsx, usually a shop could charge between 1-3k depending on the work, and the shop.. and your going to have to get your key matched to your ECU as well from acura.
I use the original key, it's not matched w/ecu so I get the light on but no biggie.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ive always wanted to do this to my base:cry: but gl with the swap take some pics on the progress!!!!!!!!!!!:D:dance::up::up::up:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.